Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket done early

cbr0011
cbr0011 Posts: 93
So my 11 pounder is done way too early. Checked the temp in several location, looking 195-200. Can I foil and place in a cooler for 10 hours?

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    I personally don't think you can FTC for 10 hours. Your best bet will be to refrigerate and heat up slowly. I could be wrong so lets hear what others say.

Do you have a food saver? Cause you can part it out in pretty big pieces, then bring it up to eating temp in boiling water.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • cazzy
    also, what's early? How long did it take and what time where you hoping to pull it off?
  • Someone posted a few weeks ago with a similar situation. Can't remember how long the FTC was but it turned out okay. Why do you think your's finished so early?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    I put it on at 9:00 last night and pulled it off at 7. The grate temp ranged from 240-270. I have a maverick. It's like it flew right though the slate. I plan on serving around 6 tonight. Currently it's foiled, troweled in a cooler. If I putting in the fridge, I guess I should let it cool for a couple hours.
  • cbr0011
    Thanks TOTN, that gives me hope.
  • cazzy
    edited April 2013
    Well hell, what's two more hours then. Lol

Make sure you have it foiled good and have several of your wife's favorite towels in the cooler!
  • cbr0011
    I wonder why it cooked so fast.
  • cazzy
    cbr0011 said:

Every brisket has its own character, and it was probably less than 11 pounds after trimming. You could do the same exact size packer next week and it'll probably take longer.

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    edited April 2013
    @cbr0011, I doubt that anyone will ever "plan" for such a long FTC time but, let us know how it turns out just in case.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    cbr0011 said:
    I had a similar one last weekend. Put it on at midnight for a 5 pm dinner. It was ready for lunch at 11:45. 
    Same set-up, maverick (even got an alarm at 4:00 that it bottomed out at 210) and about 225 - 240 all night long. 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • I've done it but it's not recommended. If you are going to try the hold,, lots of towels.Stuff it full so it's fully insulated. If the temp of your brisket drops below 140 for more than 4 hours, you are definitely in the danger zone. I would still eat it for 6-7 hours past but just know it's a risk. This would be the outer limit of a safe hold assuming you can keep your temps up in the cooler.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Also, try and heat up the cooler before putting the food in. 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • PSHome
    PSHome Posts: 41
    FTC times vary depending on initial temp, bone or no bone, # of foil wraps, # of blankets, etc.  I don't have any issues keeping it above 140 for 8 hrs (used towels fresh from dryer).  Depending who we're feeding, we've FTC until it reaches 140 (keep probe in butt inside with reader outside cooler to monitor temp) and then pull it and place pulled pork in slow cooker.  Since you're already FTC, I would wait until it hits 140, then pull (as mentioned, it can be at / below 140 for a little bit and still be safe),and then pull and place in slow cooker.  

• cbr0011
    Bummer, I did not leave the probe in so I don't know the temp. What are my alternatives?
  • PSHome
    PSHome Posts: 41
    Put the probe in now.  No issue. 

• just stick it in through the foil. don't let all the heat out. Or just wing it like I do. I've never gotten sick.

• cbr0011
    Probe in, it's been FTC since 7. Temp at 149, I'm living on the edge. If it drops below 140' I'll fridge it.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    What's the lowest temp setting your oven will do?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• cbr0011 said:
    Probe in, it's been FTC since 7. Temp at 149, I'm living on the edge. If it drops below 140' I'll fridge it.
    Just remember, even by the strictest standards, it's safe to eat 4 hours AFTER it drops below 140. If you are on the east coast, you should be fine. If not, you are going to have to make a judgement call. I like where Steven is headed with the oven. Reheated brisket sucks but it's not worth getting sick over.

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited April 2013
    I'm with C-T on the food safety guides being tight. Salt and smoke are preservatives so it will not be a hospitable environment for bacteria. My thought was if you have a proof setting you will get around 170* to keep it warm.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• cbr0011
    Great info, thank you. I'll let you know how it works out
  • cbr0011
    By the way brisket turned out great. Very moist. Bark softend a bit but still very tasty. Ended up placing in an oven at 200. So you can FTC a brisket for10 hours.