Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pouring Down Rain But that won't stop me...Pulled Pork (Pictures Updated Throughout the Day)

So tired of the rain here in Indianapolis but I was not gonna let it make me put the shoulder in the over for the day.

Got a shoulder from Sam's at about 6 lbs.  Slathered it up with some mustard

Rubbed very generously with Dizzy Dust from Dizzy Pig and rubbed it in and let it sit in the fridge for about 18 hours.   

Put on the Egg at about 250 mixed with Hickory and Apple Wood

Large BGE

Comments

• EddieK76
    EddieK76 Posts: 416

Griffin said:
    That's gonna be one messy placesetter, Eddie. ;)
    Yeah I usually put foil down and this time with the pouring rain I was in such a hurry to get it on there that I forgot about and said "darn I forgot the foil"  Oh well just burn it off next time I cook :)
    Large BGE

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    I wish I was a egghead when I traveled for work and was in Indianapolis I would have killed for some egg'd food while on the road! (if you were doing it at 225° I might have had enough time to get there..) 

Looks like tonight is going to be some good eats! 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • EddieK76
    Solson, stop on by anytime your in the area :)  Amazing that the Egg is not effected at all by this driving cold rain we have going on!
    Large BGE

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    It is effected if the rain is hitting the egg.  It will just burn more lump to compensate for the heat loss.
  • EddieK76
    WHy is the BGE so amazing.  In a driving rain the therm has moved 5 degrees in 3 hours.  I have no auto temp controllers either!  

Anyhow....Here is a picture of the shoulder 3 hours in and the internal temp is at 160

One of the construction guys came over and said "you are killing us with the smell of your BBQ and we have 1 hour before we can take a lunch"  

Large BGE

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Looking great man! I love the play by play cooks!

XLBGE 
  • EddieK76
    Looking great man! I love the play by play cooks!
    My job is slow today.  Not much tech support I have to provide so I have plenty of time to update today!!!!

Large BGE

• EddieK76
    It is effected if the rain is hitting the egg.  It will just burn more lump to compensate for the heat loss.
    Well seeing as how my temp has changed 5 degrees in 3 hours I'm seeing it as not effected at all. 
    Large BGE

• @EddieK76, I always enjoyed coming to Indy and having a shrimp cocktail and steak at St. Elmos! Given the choice, however, I think I'd wait for that pork to be pulled. Looks great!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Oh man that shrimp cocktail is AMAZING!!!!!   They now sell their sauce in bottles here!   That stuff will relieve any sinus congestion for sure
    @EddieK76, I always enjoyed coming to Indy and having a shrimp cocktail and steak at St. Elmos! Given the choice, however, I think I'd wait for that pork to be pulled. Looks great!

Large BGE

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    That little piggy looks so good. 

Gotta love the temp holding capabilities.  

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • EddieK76
    5.5 hours in...We've dealt with driving rain, sleet, some snow and high winds but this Egg is holding on strong!

Internal temp is at 180.

Large BGE

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    Sweet looking pork!

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• I'm only an hour south of you. What time should I be up for dinner?

Looks fantastic!
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • At least we're not the only ones getting snow in late April!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    @EddieK76-given your cook temp, the butt weight and the quick temp rise to 180*F-you either have a fast cooking butt or you will see the late stall with this one in the low 180's-I have had some cruise right there (same general parameters) and then take a good 4 hours to move on into the 190's.  Enjoy the cook-looks great!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • EddieK76
    I'm only an hour south of you. What time should I be up for dinner?

Looks fantastic!
    Come on by :)   
    Large BGE

• EddieK76
    lousubcap said:
    @EddieK76-given your cook temp, the butt weight and the quick temp rise to 180*F-you either have a fast cooking butt or you will see the late stall with this one in the low 180's-I have had some cruise right there (same general parameters) and then take a good 4 hours to move on into the 190's.  Enjoy the cook-looks great!
    We stalled in the low 170's for quite awhile.  I'm 201 and ready to pull off after 8.25 hours.  It was probably closer to 5.5 lbs after I looked at the packaging but it's truly hard to tell because it's cryovaced together with another butt from Sams.
    Large BGE

• EddieK76
    Taken off the Egg at 203

Large BGE

• sarivers
    sarivers Posts: 67
    lousubcap said:
    I was wondering about the dark bark also.  I've cooked several at a dome temp of 225 and 250* F and they never got that dark.  They were delicious and the last had a 210* internal temp.  They took 18 to 20 hours.  I started by covering them with mustard then the seasoning.  Anyone got any ideas why the difference in the color when we are cooking them at about the same temp?
    Columbia, SC

• EddieK76
    The bone came out clean and easy!

Large BGE

• EddieK76
    Starting the pulling process....The smell was amazing!

Large BGE

• EddieK76
    Plated picture.  Homemade cole slow, homemade bbq sauce with some loaded potato salad we got from our grocery store...

Large BGE

• sarivers
    How long did the cook take? 
    Columbia, SC

• EddieK76
    sarivers said:
    How long did the cook take? 
    It was about 8.25 hours
    Large BGE

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I believe the bark is a product of higher temperatures.  When we used to cook larger numbers of butts in wood/water smokers, the butts with the most bark were always located in the hottest parts of the smoker.  The egg doesn't have drastic hot spots like the wood cooker.  And for most of my meals, bark isn't what i am looking for.
  • sarivers
    edited April 2013
    EddieK76 said:
    Starting the pulling process....The smell was amazing!

I just can think of anything that is better than pulled pork on the BGE.  Makes me want to do one this weekend. 
    Columbia, SC

• egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    edited April 2013
    The last I was in INDY at the FedEx hub it was pouring freezing rain and sleet, last summer it was 100 degrees with T-Storms and hail.. Never left the airport. You live in the hottest and coldest city I have visited. Love the updates and photos. The dark bark looks like what I get when I use higher temps. I make my own mustard that has a lot more bite than store bought. I completely agree about pulled pork. Thanks for posting.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Looks awesome! =P~
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK.