Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Definitive pork butt

Tiger Tom
Tiger Tom Posts: 12
edited April 2013 in EggHead Forum
I'm picking up my BGE on Saturday at the Texas EggFest. My first cook will be a couple pork butts. I've read as many posts as possible about the process, but I'm wondering if there's a consensus discussion -- timing, FTC, when to pull, etc. Any suggestions will be welcome.

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited April 2013
    I usually do them at 250* dome temp and go about 2 hrs a pound. Pull (remove) at 200* or a bit higher. Easiest way to tell is when the bone (if you have bone in) pulls out with no resistance. I don't cook a lot of them and many people are doing them hotter and faster. When the meat is done, it needs to be tented loosely in foil for about an hour. The FTC is not a requirement, it's just for holding a butt that cooks fast. You know about the indirect setup, drip pan and all that right?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I'll hazard to guess there's not a consensus on anything you've asked :)

That said, I cook pork butts more than anything else.  Plate setter legs up, drip pan, grid then pork on inverted rib rack.  I use a temp probe to monitor temp and start testing at 190, when it pulls out clean and easy I remove; could be anywhere between 190 and 210 degrees.

I use my own rub but more often than not go with straight salt and finish with a red-vinegar sauce.

I never foil and do a low 'n slow at 250 with apple or hickory wood chunks.  Good luck and have fun!  Oh, and I got a pair of "bear paws" last weekend for pulling and don't know how I lived so long without 'em, get a set!

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I humbly suggest you run a load of lump and play of around with temp control. If it's a big roast you might consider turbo instead of an all nighters. Welcome
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Tiger Tom
    I'm a low and slow fan myself. So if I keep the dome temp about 250, cook until 195 or so, no need to FTC? I'm confused about the various discussion concerning moisture loss.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I agree with "hinapple", butts are an easy cook provided you understand and are capable of maintaining low temperatures with an unattended egg???  I like the turbo cooked butt method.  It takes all the "worry" out of cooking during the night, and is more predictable than the long "low and slow" cooks.  In the "search" block on this page, type in "turbo cooking butts" and you will find a discription.  Welcome aboard and goof luck on your cooking - post us some photos !!
  • Tiger Tom
    I agree with "hinapple", butts are an easy cook provided you understand and are capable of maintaining low temperatures with an unattended egg???  I like the turbo cooked butt method.  It takes all the "worry" out of cooking during the night, and is more predictable than the long "low and slow" cooks.  In the "search" block on this page, type in "turbo cooking butts" and you will find a discription.  Welcome aboard and goof luck on your cooking - post us some photos !!
    I think "goof luck" pretty well sums it up. Thanks for the direction.
  • Charlie tuna
    Sorry about that -- that was not intended!!  Charlie
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    elder wards writeup answers more questions than any writeup out there. that being said, change his cooking temp to 250 and dont worry if the egg stabilizes at 225 up to 275. the cooler isnt necessary but is convenient if your done cooking it early. most of us shoot to get it done early.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/elder.htm
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

I would not do an overnight cook right from the start before you learn setting and holding temps. That said, I do  not do any overnight cooks now, no reason.

Going to toss this Turbo Butt out here:

TURBO BUTTS
    · Hot'n fast, 350 for 3 hours to internal to around 160, then wrap in foil and 2 more hours to 195/200 and then let it rest for an hour or so wrapped in towels in a ice chest. Falls apart and oh so good! Have fun!
    · Be sure you only get a 7lb butt or so for the time (or a couple )
    . Note: The butt box is not required.
    I use mustard & Bad Byron's Butt Rub (both not required). I put on the rub, then mustard, then rub once more.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678

I'll hazard to guess there's not a consensus on anything you've asked :)

That said, I cook pork butts more than anything else.  Plate setter legs up, drip pan, grid then pork on inverted rib rack.  I use a temp probe to monitor temp and start testing at 190, when it pulls out clean and easy I remove; could be anywhere between 190 and 210 degrees.

I use my own rub but more often than not go with straight salt and finish with a red-vinegar sauce.

I never foil and do a low 'n slow at 250 with apple or hickory wood chunks.  Good luck and have fun!  Oh, and I got a pair of "bear paws" last weekend for pulling and don't know how I lived so long without 'em, get a set!

I have cooked many pork butts a few different ways and @cigarsmokingeggers way I found works best for me.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Mickey

As said, must have...

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• fishlessman
    Mickey said:

I would not do an overnight cook right from the start before you learn setting and holding temps. That said, I do  not do any overnight cooks now, no reason.

Going to toss this Turbo Butt out here:

TURBO BUTTS
    · Hot'n fast, 350 for 3 hours to internal to around 160, then wrap in foil and 2 more hours to 195/200 and then let it rest for an hour or so wrapped in towels in a ice chest. Falls apart and oh so good! Have fun!
    · Be sure you only get a 7lb butt or so for the time (or a couple )
    . Note: The butt box is not required.
    I use mustard & Bad Byron's Butt Rub (both not required). I put on the rub, then mustard, then rub once more.
    an overnite pork cook was my first cook on an egg, it was the reason i bought the egg
    :D
    fukahwee maine

• Mickey

fishlessman Posts: 14,055

Please sir, you are a friggin legend in Egg world my friend. My hat is always off to you. In case of any misreading of this it is not a putdown in any way.

But you (ok, me) would have to say most are not (first cook) an overnight pork cook. Just the same way most first cooks are not just lighting the egg and playing with temp. But more of cooking a chicken, steak, burgers, etc....... Just finding yourselft on holding a temp is what I was getting at.

• fishlessman
    i do understand, but some of us just have a need to jump right in
    :))
    fukahwee maine

• JRWhitee
    i do understand, but some of us just have a need to jump right in
    :))
    Its a Pork Butt what can go wrong? 8-}

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Charlie tuna
    I was thinking about the number forum members with their fire going out, or running out of fuel, and stuck with a piece of meat they could get sick on ? 
  • JRWhitee
    edited April 2013
    Here is a schedule for first timers:

9:00pm start the egg
    10:00pm put on the Butt
    1:00 am go to bed if egg has stabilized
    4:00am awake to alarm and check egg, adjust if necessary
    7:00am awake to alarm and check egg, adjust if necessary
    7:10 make coffee
    7:15 watch sportscenter...

:D

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817

A brand new egg and a new bag of lump is when the fire is least likely to go out

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760

Except that there are people like me that tried the egg for the first time and the fire goes out towards the end of 5-6 hour cook (cooking ribs). Learned the hard way that I didn't put in enough lump since I didn't know how much to put in yet for the cook.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• JRWhitee

Except that there are people like me that tried the egg for the first time and the fire goes out towards the end of 5-6 hour cook (cooking ribs). Learned the hard way that I didn't put in enough lump since I didn't know how much to put in yet for the cook.

Always fill it up if your doing low and slow with the platesetter.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    JRWhitee said:

Always fill it up if your doing low and slow with the platesetter.
    *as high as the fire ring for really long cooks.