Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ozark clarification

henapple
henapple Posts: 16,025
Just felt like clearing this up. I don't work for Ozark Oak. Had a dealer reach out to me for pricing so I thought I needed to. In my travels for work I cross through Arkansas where I can get 10lbs for $5 plus tax. I'm a contractor and pull a trailer so I can usually haul as much as 200 bags. I know you guys out west can get it but usually at $10-12/bag. This side of the Mississippi we usually can't get it except ordering online.

I merely pick this lump up to help folks get a deal or just to try it out. I really do like it and at 50 cents per lb it's a steal. I don't make anythingoffof the bags and i usually cover the tax. If someone could get Dizzy at $5 per shaker I'd jump on it.

From time to time I'll let folks know where I'mcuttingthrough and meet y'all with some. Love meeting eggers and helping out. All i ask is that you work with me on meeting close to my path. When i post where I'm going just pm me and we'll start texting.
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Let me know if you ever swing through the DC area.

Good Guy Henapple hooking eggers up!
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    That folks... is a team player... He will cover tax if you give him a 6er of PBR too. \m/
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • tamu2009
    tamu2009 Posts: 387
    Anyone know where to find it in Dallas for a decent price? I'd love to try the stuff out.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited April 2013

...and if you are a real stand up guy you will also throw in a jar of your favorite regional BBQ sauce.  
    Chubbs said:
    That folks... is a team player... He will cover tax if you give him a 6er of PBR too. \m/

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• henapple
    tamu2009 said:

Anyone know where to find it in Dallas for a decent price? I'd love to try the stuff out.

I'll be coming through Dallas in early June
  • Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    Let me know when you make an Atlanta run henapple!
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • henapple
    Dang.. Just met SmokeyPitt there
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited April 2013
    I'll add to the offer.  Should you ever make your way to San Antonio, I'd love to have you over for dinner to show my appreciation.  Whatever you want to grub, we'll grub.  
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • henapple
    Cazzy.. I'll be in Houston and the San Marcos area.
  • Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    Say it ain't so.
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    henapple said:
    San Marcos works!  Just let me know when you're in the area.  No matter what Travis says, you rock henapple!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684

Just be careful when it comes to the IRS, state DOR, and your vehicle's insurance.  None of these agencies understand that some people do things to help people out with minimal profit or just to cover the expenses.  They can make your life miserable if they want to.....and you'll be wishing you made a profit to pay all of the lawyers.

I used to do something similar, but it got to a point where it was way too much liability on my part.  I had to get legit and make it a LLC.  Now it's quite a successful business with a lot of places for write offs.  Consider doing to same if it gets any bigger--because regardless if it's a "group buy" or whatever you want to call it, the feds, state, and insurance companies will call it a sole proprietorship.

Good on you for your generosity, but be careful.  Remember, "no good deed goes unpunished."

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    cazzy said:
    henapple said:
    San Marcos works!  Just let me know when you're in the area.  No matter what Travis says, you rock henapple!
    X2. but Houston works for me. 
    Unfortunately If it's during the week, I don't egg much due to work hours. 

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I have never seen Ozark in Atlanta.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • henapple

Just be careful when it comes to the IRS, state DOR, and your vehicle's insurance.  None of these agencies understand that some people do things to help people out with minimal profit or just to cover the expenses.  They can make your life miserable if they want to.....and you'll be wishing you made a profit to pay all of the lawyers.

I used to do something similar, but it got to a point where it was way too much liability on my part.  I had to get legit and make it a LLC.  Now it's quite a successful business with a lot of places for write offs.  Consider doing to same if it gets any bigger--because regardless if it's a "group buy" or whatever you want to call it, the feds, state, and insurance companies will call it a sole proprietorship.

Good on you for your generosity, but be careful.  Remember, "no good deed goes unpunished."

I'm incorporated.... Guess I could run it through that. Oops... Cost just went to $15/bag
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    You could go Smokey and the Bandit...

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    @henapple if you ever come through or near Atlanta let me know and I'd meet you to get some

LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    tamu2009 said:
    @tamu2009 - my daughter is class of '99. My father is '34.

You will love Ozark Oak once you try it. I use it exclusively on my Mini.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    @henaple: Tony - dinner is a given if you swing by Houston. Dip in the pool depends on weather, of course.

I'm with @SmokeyPitt - a jar of regional bbq sauce, rub, or some PBR should be mandatory for Tony's troubles. Maybe ask him which he would prefer though... the PBR I know he can deal with effectively, but he may not want a whole lotta sauce or rubs.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    edited April 2013

Sometimes one wonders what makes people do the things they do.

Its to make a little extra cash, most of the time. Sometimes its to get other favors done. Now, Tony brought me 5 bags of the OO. He was commin through my town from ATL and txt me and we were in contact.

It was stormin pretty bad and he had to wait a while at the Costco parking lot just before I got to meet him to get bags of lump that he brought for me from Arkansas. For profit?? you think? in a bag of lump at 5$? I had offered him breakfast at my house but he had already had it with that Smokeypitwhatever guy.

This is a fine human being. Really. I was pretty moved when I met him ,picked up the bags in the rain and was drivin back home. Was wondering why would he do it?

Really nice guy and just an outstanding citizen. You come this way, Henapple, and you are takin a break at my place.

Sorry if I was too eloquent. 

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    @Aviator: I don't think you have been following the forum closely enough...

... he does it for the PBR.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Aviator
    Guilty, I had no PBR for him even. Yeah I know, and that's what I am talkin about. I feel like Sh*t.

Chattanooga, TN.

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Ever come in the Tampa Bay area?
    Dunedin, FL
  • SmokeyPitt
    Smokeypittwhateverguy...I kind of like that...has a nice ring to it. Maybe I should change my username :P

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Aviator
    Smokeypittwhateverguy...I kind of like that...has a nice ring to it. Maybe I should change my username :P
    You said "some pilot"....
    :-S

Chattanooga, TN.

• LDR
    LDR Posts: 414

In the Dallas area, I know Elliot's Hardware was carrying Ozark Oak last November, and it was around $10 for 10#.

http://www.elliottshardware.com/

• RV10Flyer
    RV10Flyer Posts: 140
    LDR said:

In the Dallas area, I know Elliot's Hardware was carrying Ozark Oak last November, and it was around $10 for 10#.

http://www.elliottshardware.com/

They still have it @LDR, I bought some on Friday.  I believe it was $10.99.  5 bucks sounds much better though. 

North Texas

XL and Small BGE

• SmokeyPitt
    Aviator said:
    You said "some pilot"....
    :-S
    Guilty as charged ...I was just trying to further the lame drug cartel joke/analogy I had going in that thread .  No disrespect intended @Aviator.

• LDR
    LDR Posts: 414

Yep - spoiled with the price here in Bryant.  I live near the store where HenApple buys.  When I see he's passing through, I go pick up an extra bag or two, just in case.  I've got about a dozen bags stuck back at the moment.  The wife likes to call me a hoarder, but she doesn't seem to bring it up when I've got the egg going. 

I'm going to Tulsa in June, and I'll check out the Harps in SE Tulsa (don't remember the name of the suburb), as well as the ones in Fort Smith.  I'll post what the prices are.  I expect the ones in Fort Smith should have the same prices as here.  They're closer to Centerville than we are.

• @henapple, are you going to be coming through Oklahoma City anytime soon?
    Persistence and determination are omnipotent!