Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Number of racks of ribs?

How many racks of baby backs would you cook for eight adults? Thanks, Bill

Comments

• GA_Dawgs
    GA_Dawgs Posts: 273
    Depend on how many sides you are doing. I find 3 works well for me with 2-3 sides. Everyone would get about 4 ribs that way. If you think they would eat more go for 4 that way each person gets a half rack.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    I like 4. If they're good, they will eat more and not having enough ribs is never a good thing. If they're good, but your guests keep the animal contained, you'll have some great left overs. :)
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Crispix49
    Crispix49 Posts: 191
    The more bread/pasta/potato type sides, the less meat that will be consumed.  I'd still lean toward 4 vs 3 just in case you have some big eaters.
    Atlanta suburbs
    Large & Mini owner
    UGA Alum - Go Dawgs!
  • dweebs0r
    dweebs0r Posts: 539
    I say do 5 racks.  I did 4 racks tonight for 4 adults.  I have plenty left over to take for lunch in the morning... Did I mention I am so full I am about to pass out?

-Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    + 1 for 3 racks

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    No less than 3.  4 if you can fit them.  It also depends on the ribs though.  I find the baby backs I get at Costco tend to be particularly meaty, and I've gotten BB ribs eating out where I was like "where's the pork?"  With the Costco ribs, half a rack is really too much for a single portion.  With the anorexic ribs some places serve, half a rack is easily consumed with its sides.
  • milesbrown4
    milesbrown4 Posts: 314
    Agree with @ GA Dawgs - 3 at least but 4 would cover the spread nicely.  Most are "eyes bigger than stomach" and will wave off at 2-3 ribs (sides fill them up).  Good sides - slaw, potato salad, fries, baked potato or roasted veggies.  
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Makes me think of the story of Jesus turning water into wine. At that time any host of a celebration, wedding or banquet that ran out of wine would not only be committing a socialblunder but could actually be jailed.

In the south there's a few things you don't run out of.... Ammo, sweet tea, but especially food. We're not happy unless you're virtually miserable after a meal. While we may not be arrested it would certainly be a hospitality fail.

Also, you must send some home with every family or guest. I'd say around 8 racks.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    I would vote for half rack each and if you have some teenage boys attending there won't be any left overs.  I would also cut them into two rib portions so that the less hungry don't take more than they want to eat.

Gerhard
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Babyback or spares?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    henapple said:
    Makes me think of the story of Jesus turning water into wine. At that time any host of a celebration, wedding or banquet that ran out of wine would not only be committing a socialblunder but could actually be jailed. In the south there's a few things you don't run out of.... Ammo, sweet tea, but especially food. We're not happy unless you're virtually miserable after a meal. While we may not be arrested it would certainly be a hospitality fail. Also, you must send some home with every family or guest. I'd say around 8 racks.
    That's how it would play out at my house.  I'm not sure that is the "right" or "best" way to do it, just that it is what we would do.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    I'd do 4 racks for 8 people but I always do some apps and sides as well.
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • I agree with @Foghorn, with the exception of the sweet tea! Just drink it straight up with a glassful (and I mean from the bottom of the glass all the way to the top) of ice.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    I always plan for 1/2 a rack of baby backs per person, there is always one guy that will eat a whole rack....and they are always good for lunch the next day.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • dpittard
    dpittard Posts: 126
    I agree with @Foghorn, with the exception of the sweet tea! Just drink it straight up with a glassful (and I mean from the bottom of the glass all the way to the top) of ice.
    I grew up like this and once I started working professionally around people not raised in the South, I notice how they didn't like a glass full of ice.  It was the most confounding concept to me.

LBGE with a massive wish list
    Athens, Ga.
  • @dpittard, even worse... up here in the great white north, you can't even get a glass of unsweetened tea. Hell, at most places, when you order "tea" it comes hot in a cup with a saucer!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    I agree with you iced tea is definitely better south of the border, what is sold as ice tea here generally has a bigger relationship to KoolAid than tea.  Our beer tends to make up for it though ;)

Gerhard

• henapple
    My sister makes it with so much sugar a spoon will stand up in it... Also good on pancakes.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I thought this was a rib thread. lol

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    8 people, are the 8 people all girls? 4 men 4 women? Or 2 men and 6 midgets?

But whatever, I'd do 1 rack to 2 men, 1 rack to 3 women

XLBGE 
  • JRWhitee
    8 people, are the 8 people all girls? 4 men 4 women? Or 2 men and 6 midgets? But whatever, I'd do 1 rack to 2 men, 1 rack to 3 women
    How many per midget?

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • BillPinNC
    BillPinNC Posts: 68
    Thanks for all the advice! I think I will cook 5-6 racks, with the sides we would have some leftovers. Regards, Bill
  • henapple
    JRWhitee said:

I thought this was a rib thread. lol

Sweat tea and ribs go together...
  • JRWhitee
    I don't do sweet tea, I'm sweet enough. :)) Of course I am originally from up north.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    JRWhitee said:

8 people, are the 8 people all girls? 4 men 4 women? Or 2 men and 6 midgets?

But whatever, I'd do 1 rack to 2 men, 1 rack to 3 women

How many per midget?

=))

XLBGE 
  • JRWhitee
    8 people, are the 8 people all girls? 4 men 4 women? Or 2 men and 6 midgets? But whatever, I'd do 1 rack to 2 men, 1 rack to 3 women
    How many per midget?
    =))
    I am still laughing...

Johns Creek, Georgia