Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribeyes & Pigshots

Sunday afternoon cook. 2'' thick cut ribeyes were on sale at local butcher and could not pass them up. Decided to make some pigshots for my friend who had never tried them.

Cooked steaks indirect at 300(dome temp) until internal temp was about 110. Let rest while egg was getting up to about 750 or so. Seared for 90 seconds a side at stock grid height. Next time I'm only going about 60 seconds per side as they were more medium and i would rather have MR. I have cooked a lot of steaks on my egg but for some reason these were by far the best!

Pigshots speak for themselves!! There were some other sides but who cares about them!!  All in all a great cook and if I could only have one last meal....I think this would be it!

Comments

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Those pig shots look amazing!  Gonna have to make them again soon.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Looks great! So did your friend make another dinner reservation at your place already? :)
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Yea he wants to do it again next weekend. This time he's buying the steaks!! I'm pretty sure he's buying an egg also!! His wife was like "there to expensive, there to heavy, there harder to use than our gasser...yada yada yada!! One bite....She said "Oh My God, we could probably afford one next month"!!
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Nice looking steaks. I love pigshot. I use a local sauage in mine. We like a little heat in ours.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Pigshot?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Recipe

Ingredients:

Nathan’s Beef Kielbasa – qty 2
    Bacon 16 oz packages – qty 2
    Cream Cheese – 8 oz
    Mexican 4-cheese blend – 1/2 cup
    Green Chiles Diced – 3 oz
    Brown Sugar – ½ cup
    Chili Powder – ½ tsp
    Cayenne Pepper – ½ tsp
    BBQ Rub - ½ tsp + a light dusting

Preparation:

Cut sausage down to discs about 3/8” thick.
    Wrap ½ slice of bacon around the disc and fix in place with a toothpick or skewer several “shots” (10” skewer can hold 4-5 shots).
    Soften cream cheese and mix in cheese blend and chiles
    Pipe or spoon the cream cheese blend into the shot
    Mix the brown sugar, chili powder, and cayenne pepper together and sprinkle on top of cream cheese filling
    Lightly sprinkle with BBQ rub

Cook indirect around 280-320 degrees until bacon has crisped up (approx 70-90 minutes). Smoke wood is optional.
    Recipe from @R2Eg2Q

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited April 2013
    @henapple

Take sausage(like kielbasa), thick bacon, cream cheese, brown sugar, fav rub

Cut sausage link to 1/2 inch thick, wrap with bacon, making a "shot glass"

fill cup halfway with softened cream cheese

fill the rest of the way with brown sugar and sprinkle rub to preference.

cook 225-250 for 2 hours. 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Or do what MOVikingsfan said just before me.

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    @henapple

Take sausage(like kielbasa), thick bacon, cream cheese, brown sugar, fav rub

Cut sausage link to 1/2 inch thick, wrap with bacon, making a "shot glass"

fill cup halfway with softened cream cheese

fill the rest of the way with brown sugar and sprinkle rub to preference.

cook 225-250 for 2 hours. 

And just WHY am I hearing about this delicacy just now? Hot durn

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    I'm going to try the reverse sear method tonight. Pics look good!
    Boom
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    I think the pig shot came around last summer. It is very very tasty! Good bit of prep work involved. But we'll worth it!

XLBGE 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Great looking meal!  Steak looks about perfect to me.  Good job on selling another egg.  One of these days BGE is gonna have to start paying us commission! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Little Steven
    I think the pig shot came around last summer. It is very very tasty! Good bit of prep work involved. But we'll worth it!
    They look like the bomb!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Great Cook, Pig Shots are on the list! Maybe this weekend. Thanks.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • And just WHY am I hearing about this delicacy just now? Hot durn

Another reason to post pics with all cook posts. I wasn't even going to post these as i thought everybody has tried them!! 

They look like the bomb!
    Trust me they are!!! They taste better than they look and they look great!!

• jjmills
    jjmills Posts: 117
    The wife just ran to the store for some ingredients.  The steak looks awesome and I will be tasting pigshots tonight.
     LG. BGE  Straight up Cheese head from Little Chute, WI
  • Little Steven
    I've got everything I need at home. And I'm gonna take my camera in and get it fixed

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• One thing to remember when making these, Is to not overfill them with the cream cheese(it's hard not to cuz it's oh so good!!). If you fill them to the very top the cream cheese expands and most of your filling falls onto the grid.
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Put the softened cream cheese filling in a Zip Lock bag, cut off one corner and pipe it into the porcine shot glass!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795

And just WHY am I hearing about this delicacy just now? Hot durn

LS, I suspect you were hibernating through the Canadian winter.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• jjmills
    jjmills Posts: 117
    Put the softened cream cheese filling in a Zip Lock bag, cut off one corner and pipe it into the porcine shot glass!

Just what I was thinking.  I do the same for deviled eggs
     LG. BGE  Straight up Cheese head from Little Chute, WI
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    Moving pig shots up on my to do list!!
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275

Check out R2egg2Q's original post last July.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1141456/pig-shots/p1

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Pig shots are always a crowd favorite, make them for a party and it becomes a conversation piece.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• His wife was like "there to expensive, there to heavy, there harder to use than our gasser...yada yada yada!! One bite....She said "Oh My God, we could probably afford one next month"!!
    That's what I would call "Whine with a Pig Shot Chaser".
    Flint, Michigan
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Got to do the pig shots soon. Also want to do some Scotish Eggs as well...

Steaks look great!
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    billyray said:

Check out R2egg2Q's original post last July.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1141456/pig-shots/p1

When I posted that recipe, Nathan's kielbasa was sold in a 16 oz package. They've since reduced the package to I believe 13 oz so you might need an extra kielbasa to use up your bacon. Or if you use thick bacon (and get fewer slices per package), it would probably work out fine.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Good googly moogly. Those look incredible. Thank you @movikingsfan for sharing.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life