Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question about defrosting meat

LIke a dummy I forgot to seperate my pork shoulder that I got from Sam's and they come in packages of 2.   Is it okay to defrost both and then put one back in the freezer?   I've read various accounts and want you all to give me what you've all done :)
Large BGE

Comments

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Perfectly fine.
  • EddieK76
    EddieK76 Posts: 416
    I think the new wave thought process is that it's perfectly acceptable and the old wave thought process is that it isn't.....
    Large BGE

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    There could be a small down side. Any time meat is frozen slowly, ice crystals form in the muscle cells, and pierce the cell walls. When the meat is defrosted, some of that water leaks out. Re-freezing just compounds the problem. Cooks Illustrated did a test some time ago where meat went thru a frost/defrost cycle several times. The cooked meat was unpleasantly dry.

On the other hand, if you happen to have some liquid nitrogen laying around, that can freeze the fluid around the cells into very small crystals. The meat can then be quickly removed from the nitrogen before the somewhat thicker fluid in the cell freezes. No problem.
  • EddieK76
    gdenby said:
    There could be a small down side. Any time meat is frozen slowly, ice crystals form in the muscle cells, and pierce the cell walls. When the meat is defrosted, some of that water leaks out. Re-freezing just compounds the problem. Cooks Illustrated did a test some time ago where meat went thru a frost/defrost cycle several times. The cooked meat was unpleasantly dry.

On the other hand, if you happen to have some liquid nitrogen laying around, that can freeze the fluid around the cells into very small crystals. The meat can then be quickly removed from the nitrogen before the somewhat thicker fluid in the cell freezes. No problem.
    Just checked got none of that liquid nitrogen...Haha :)  Actually my thinking is that once I'm able to pry them apart the other will go back in so the 2nd one won't even be 1/4 defrosted is my thought process.
    Large BGE

• Jackh
    Jackh Posts: 109
    You could bbq both then freeze what you don t eat
    Lg&Sm ---Middleport NY
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    You could freeze one back, I don't know the science behind it, but it won't be as good later.

@jackh
    He made a good point, it'll prolly taste better later if you cook it all and then freeze leftovers.

XLBGE 
  • @EddieK76, your right about not having to wait for it to completely thaw. In fact, if I'd put both shoulders in a plastic trash bag and drop them onto the garage (i.e., concrete) floor. They'll probably separate while still mostly frozen.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.

You could freeze one back, I don't know the science behind it, but it won't be as good later. @jackh He made a good point, it'll prolly taste better later if you cook it all and then freeze leftovers.
    +1.  I'm sure it would be fine- but why not just cook them both and save the leftovers? 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    other than cook both, I would put them in the sink with a drip of water on the seam, the butts should still be mostly frozen when they can be separated. 
    Although the through on the floor method might also have some merit, and be a good stress relief. 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • EddieK76

You could freeze one back, I don't know the science behind it, but it won't be as good later. @jackh He made a good point, it'll prolly taste better later if you cook it all and then freeze leftovers.
    +1.  I'm sure it would be fine- but why not just cook them both and save the leftovers? 
    I don't have a vacuum seal.....That is a huge reason unless you can think of something else :)
    Large BGE

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    I'd probably take it out of the freezer and use a hack saw and just cut down the seam.  Immediately rewrap and put the second butt in the freezer.  Can't imagine you'd be harming the butt since the cut is going to be covered in spice and cooked to a nice crusty bark.

Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I've tried to respond twice but I keep getting the "your comment will appear after it is approved" message. 

Anyway...I'll be brief since you may not see this!   IMO a food saver is definitely nice to have for pulled pork,but not necessary.  You can freeze it in a zip-loc bag.  Ziploc sells the bags at the grocery store that work with the plastic pump and those work pretty good.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.