Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL Purchase Advice Needed

I think I just sold my large. It took surprisingly little effort to sweet talk Wilma into agreeing to an upgrade to an XL. I have an AR for my large, but an XL AR is different. So I thought I would ask you...What bling should I buy for an XL?
Flint, Michigan

Comments

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    another mini

just sit it in the XL, they will never know!! and then you can ship the hot mini to me in Mississippi so you don't feel guilty cooking on it 

XLBGE 
  • EggRacer
    EggRacer Posts: 400
    My recommendation is one of the lump reducing rings, the XL Woo2 and a XL sized pizza stone for indirects using the XL Woo2. These are the XL accessories I use the most. Your mileage may vary depending on what and how much you cook.
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
  • EggRacer said:
    My recommendation is one of the lump reducing rings, the XL Woo2 and a XL sized pizza stone for indirects using the XL Woo2. These are the XL accessories I use the most. Your mileage may vary depending on what and how much you cook.
    I agree, save some money by getting the XL Woo2 Adjustable Rig Combo

XL BGE with adj rig & woo2

• zosobao5150
    zosobao5150 Posts: 133
    2 fire bricks in lieu of lump reducing rings.

XL BGE
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    +3 on the XL woo2 adjustable rig combo.  If you are a wokker, you may want a bigger wok to fit on the woo.  I also use my half moon raised grid quite often as well - it gives you a raised area for chicken, corn or veggies and then you can cook other stuff next to it on the regular grate.  Half moon pizza stone let's me do baked potatoes on one side and then add the steak on the other immediately following pulling the potatoes.  So many possibilities!!!

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Bjorg
    Bjorg Posts: 241
    +4 on XL woo2 adjustable rig with a XL stone and if you do pizza, a second stone or baking steel (see group buy post that ends Sunday), lump reducing ring. Get a 18-20 inch wok. 

I also recommend this big ass skillet that fits under the adjustable rig:

Quebec - Canada
  • Que_n_Brew
    Que_n_Brew Posts: 578
    Fred....just curious, why are you changing from the LBGE to the XLBGE? Any reason other than moe room?
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    +5 XL woo2 adjustable rig with XL stone.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• Fred....just curious, why are you changing from the LBGE to the XLBGE? Any reason other than moe room?

Initially it was replacing my large I bought used with a new one for warranty reasons. I've always wanted an XL because the size is pretty comparable to my beloved Weber kettle so I figured it was time. Moe room, warranty...what's not to like?
    Flint, Michigan
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    In lieu of the lump reducing ring, go for the angle L brackets. I use them all of the time. They allow you to set up an indirect zone without a stone. You can also adjust the size of these zones. I don't have the rig. I just have a plate setter. Ive been waiting to see if Tom comes out with a XL pswoo. I also plan on a swing rack from ceramic grillworks.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • EggRacer
    EggRacer Posts: 400
    I have the angle L brackets and the reducing ring. As luck would have it I prefer the ring to the brackets. The brackets work fine but they aren't my first choice. As I said your mileage and the way you prefer to cook may vary. The corollary is that there's more than one way to skin a cat. In the interest of full disclosure I got the XL Woo2 Adjustable Rig Combo and a half pizza stone as well. As @dik7 says you can set up a half indirect, half direct cook at the same time very easily.
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    the church cooking just got bigger, uh?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • I do have a couple of church events I can sell pulled pork sammies at to support my department.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    XL owner here, and I use the lump reducing ring a lot since most nights it is just the wife and me. I have the PS and a Woo and Swing Grate.  Put all of them to good use several nights a week.
  • LARGE EGG SOLD!!

Flint, Michigan
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817

Freddie,

Does that mean you bought another large?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Nope.  As soon as we get our government sponsored interest free load repaid to us, we'll order an XL. 

Flint, Michigan
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Call Tom and get one of the NEW ss lump rings. It's a must have.

If you get a wok, get the 20in hand hammered made in china from mrs Chen. You will have to talk her into selling you one. They are only for her commercial customers.

Adj rig makes life much easier.

Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Little Steven
    Good idea. I have an older XL but rarely use it. Love to have a new style

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Call Tom and get one of the NEW ss lump rings. It's a must have. If you get a wok, get the 20in hand hammered made in china from mrs Chen. You will have to talk her into selling you one. They are only for her commercial customers. Adj rig makes life much easier.
    @travisstrick - Hey Travis, why is the lump ring a must have?  I was leaning toward the L brackets to bank the coals like I used to do with my Weber kettle creating direct and indirect zones.  I've been meaning to get into wokking.  Is the 20" wok noobie friendly or is it desireable for it's big capacity?  If I drop your name, will Mrs. Chen cheerfully sell me the wok?  The AR is a great system for the large and I assume for the XL as well. 
    Flint, Michigan
  • travisstrick
    The lump ring has a few pros. 

1. reduces the amount of lump used.
    2. creates a supierior heat. It is more centered and requires less of an overhead indirect. 
    3. clean up is much easier due to the lump being centered in the middle.

All those things and I have cooked brisket to pizza with zero cons. I have not taken the thing out since I got it. 
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    edited April 2013

If you are going to run the XL on a diet and limit its performance, save money on lump and how much it burns, save on cleaning ... you have a problem Fred.

You are making the wrong choice. If you are already planning on reduced performance, you need to rethink your strategy here.

Maybe wise to reconsider a Large. Like others have pointed it out, you do have other eggs to supplement.

Just sayin.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2013

Awe hell Fred, get a LBGE and a Weber OTG.  You have ceramic, and a multiple zone cooker.  :D

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• travisstrick
    Aviator has no clue what he or she is talking about. What I suggested does not limit performance. 
  • I plan on enjoying the full potential of the XL.  Limit performance or diet?  Nah.  I'm on a diet, not my eggs!  I'm not worried about lump consumption.  There's a couple of dishes I used to make on the Weber kettle that utilize both direct & indirect zones.  Mostly for searing and roasting.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Little Steven
    Thinkin the boys is gonna fight tonight :D

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• travisstrick
    F you steven..... Wanna fight?
  • Little Steven
    You and me in Salado next year. I'll kick yer ass

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Where's my popcorn?
    Flint, Michigan