Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Do you worry about different internal temp in the same meat when cooking in the egg?

Options

The other day, I was cooking ribs and noticed that the thermapen is giving different reading among my pork ribs. How do you do it? Do you check the temp across different parts/sides of the same meat or just rely on 1 reading?

Thanks for sharing your inputs/thoughts. 

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    don't use a thermo on ribs for doneness. They get false readings from the bones so you can't trust them. Yoy can use it for food safety if you feel you need to but they should be far above any unsafe temps in no time.

You can check using a few tricks: Take a toothpick and test the meat for tenderness. Should slide in and out very easily.

If you are cooking full racks, pick it up with tongs on one end, If it bends, they are done. If it breaks, they are over done but still delicious ("fall off the bone ribs!")

you can also see that the meat at the edges pulls back a little from the bone when they are done. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    And to move from ribs, when finish temps are mentioned here for butt, brisket and other low&slow cooks (or even turbo style) it is measured in the thickest part of the meat, same for pulled beef, chix or turkey (whole or parts).  For the hot & fast cooks, steaks, chops etc the guideline still applies but temps have a way of moving much faster with those cooks.  Thus the need for the thremapen (or equivalent) takes on more importance.  Just an opinion and we all know what those are worth:)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Options
    Thanks for the inputs. Learning every day.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Thanks for the inputs. Learning every day.
    me too :). Hope I never stop.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    Think of this way.  What is the most critical issue of the product you are cooking.  Example: I was cooking eight chicken thighs yesterday to make some "Gumbo Soup" and there were two very large thighs and six small thighs.  I monitored the larger thighs for the 180 degree internal, knowing the smaller ones would be slightly overcooked, but could easily handle it.  On the other hand if i was cooking two beef tenderloins, i would be monitoring the smaller one, knowing that five or ten internal degrees of over cooking could ruin the tenderloin. 
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    Think of this way.  What is the most critical issue of the product you are cooking.  Example: I was cooking eight chicken thighs yesterday to make some "Gumbo Soup" and there were two very large thighs and six small thighs.  I monitored the larger thighs for the 180 degree internal, knowing the smaller ones would be slightly overcooked, but could easily handle it.  On the other hand if i was cooking two beef tenderloins, i would be monitoring the smaller one, knowing that five or ten internal degrees of over cooking could ruin the tenderloin. 
    Great advice and approach Tuna.
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Options
    Thanks. Great advice.