Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Aged Cheesesteaks

Focker
Focker Posts: 8,364
edited April 2013 in EggHead Forum

Made the Hobart a little more user friendly last week by putting it on a Craftsman tool cart.  Aged half of a ribeye subprimal for 6 weeks(2 wet, 4 dry).

Baked the hoagies this morning on a new Italian loaf pan from King Arthur Flour.  400 degrees for 35 min.  Wok and sand setup.

Going to keep it simple with Provolone and chopped onions, couldn't do Cheese Whiz? 

More pics to come later when the meat is thawed.

Brandon
Quad Cities
"If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

Comments

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    That meat looks totally ridiculous. I would give anything to have one of those sandwiches. I generally put my meat in the fridge before slicing but freezing is a great idea. 

Well done. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Focker
    Thanks!  Really looking forward to the outcome on this one.  Will be fun....chop, flip, sizzle, chop, flip, sizzle.   
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    edited April 2013
    OK, expect visitors the minute I find out where you live. 
    BTW, Don't shoot, I will bring beer. 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    This is gonna be too good!  Good call on the provolone- whiz is nasty!  Lots of provolone and fried onions is my go to cheesteak.  I consider myself somewhat of a connoisseur.  I am from GA, but I have traveled to philly for work quite a bit over the years.  Whiz is for tourists ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• tazcrash
    BTW, if you want to experiment with some nice flavors, try Broccoli Rabe with that provolone. 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • Focker
    tazcrash said:
    BTW, if you want to experiment with some nice flavors, try Broccoli Rabe with that provolone. 

Sounds good Taz, come on over!

Will keep the broccoli rabe in mind when I go to the store.  Would you saute it or steam it?

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    edited April 2013
    This is gonna be too good!  Good call on the provolone- whiz is nasty!  Lots of provolone and fried onions is my go to cheesteak.  I consider myself somewhat of a connoisseur.  I am from GA, but I have traveled to philly for work quite a bit over the years.  Whiz is for tourists ;)

Thanks @SmokeyPitt, appreciate your expertise.  A trip to Philly is on the bucket list.

Trying to keep it simple with good flavors that will not overwhelm.  Should I split the bun halfway through the top, almost like a boat?  Is that how it's done in Philly?

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• tazcrash
    Focker said:
    tazcrash said:

Will keep the broccoli rabe in mind when I go to the store.  Would you saute it or steam it?

Ahhhh, no steam!!!   :((

First i par-boil for a minute in some very salty water to take off some extra bitterness. 
    Then saute with garlic, and OO. - makes everything better.

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • SmokeyPitt
    I have seen it both ways- split from the top or from the side.  I do think it's best to not cut all the way through it.  You want to split it and open it up- like a big hot dog bun.  It well help to keep the grease inside ;)

When the meat is just about finished cooking, put your cheese and onions on top (assuming onions are already cooked) and then put the split roll face down over the meat.  This will steam the bun a little and help the cheese get nice and melty. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• HogHeaven
    HogHeaven Posts: 326
    edited April 2013
    Focker... I've been thinking I should buy a baguette pan like that. I'm wondering why you have parchment paper under the bread? Aren't you defeating the purpose of the holes in the pan?
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited April 2013
    HogHeaven said:
    Focker... I've been thinking I should buy a baguette pan like that. I'm wondering why you have parchment paper under the bread? Aren't you defeating the purpose of the holes in the pan?
    No. Parchment paper is a semi-permeable membrane. The holes are there to allow steam and air to circulate around the loaves. They move through the parchment as well.
  • Focker
    HogHeaven said:
    Second rise was in the pan and I thought the dough would stick even with a spray of Pam.  May try it without parchment next time.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    edited April 2013
    tazcrash said:
    Focker said:
    tazcrash said:

Ahhhh, no steam!!!   :((

First i par-boil for a minute in some very salty water to take off some extra bitterness. 
    Then saute with garlic, and OO. - makes everything better.

Thanks.  Couldn't find any at the store, but I will find some and give it a try.  Seems like a nice addition.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• tazcrash
    When you get to try it, please let me know how you like it. 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • Budgeezer
    Budgeezer Posts: 669
    Bread looks great!
    Edina, MN

• Man that looks good
  • SmokeyPitt
    Fuggedaboutit!! That looks insane!  

Seriously...dry aged rib eye fresh sliced, home made bread...all cooked on the egg...a friggin cheesteak!!!   

^:)^

• Focker
    Thanks man, means alot coming from someone who knows a good cheesesteak. ;)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    That looks even better than I had imagined!  Wow!  Talk about premeditated!  Really nice, quality ingredients, patience, plotting, preparation....that Sammie is friggen SICK!!!!!!!!!  Congrats on having the best lunch of anyone on the planet today!
  • Focker

More like premedicated. ;)

Thanks for the comments, it didn't suck.  :))

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Those looks fantastic. As a frequent eater of Philly Cheesesteaks, looks like you nailed it.
    Thanks @Tjcoley, had to respect Philly and do it right.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    makes my mouth water !
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • bccomstock
    bccomstock Posts: 338
    edited April 2013

=P~

Nice work!  

Next time, try a good white American cheese on it.. I used to go provolone at a local shop (the owner is from Philly).. He suggested I try the white American b/c it had more flavor, that provolone was too mild.  Now, I only get white American on them.
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
  • allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    @Focker  Fantastic looking cook!  Way to step it up to professional grade with the rib eye et. all.  Just curious-  is that cooking surface the same as the baking steel that is gaining a lot of popularity around these parts?  Regardless, was your surface well seasoned?

My wheels are turning!  Kudos-  P
    Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Johns Roast Pork in South Philly, with smoked provolone - best cheesesteak I ever had. Just make sure the wind is blowing in the right direction. It's across the street from a turpentine or some other chemical factory. Yours looks just as good.

@bccomstock,

Thanks for the suggestion, might give it a try next time up.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    allsid said:
    @Focker  Fantastic looking cook!  Way to step it up to professional grade with the rib eye et. all.  Just curious-  is that cooking surface the same as the baking steel that is gaining a lot of popularity around these parts?  Regardless, was your surface well seasoned?

My wheels are turning!  Kudos-  P

Thanks allsid.  Yes that is the Baking Steel 16" diameter.  For seasoning I did 5 one hr seasonings at 500 degrees with grapeseed oil, similar to seasoning vintage CI (wipe on, wipe off Miyagi method).
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Drooling all over my keyboard. That looks so flippin' ah-mazing!!

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings