Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What I do with all the fat that I trim off of butts and shoulders...

I trim my butts... Mainly because I want the "Beef Love" to use when I cook steaks. I learned this on Amazingribs.com. Meathead, the guy that owns and operates that website interviewed the chef at a famous Steakhouse that used beef love on all of the steaks he was famous for. To make beef love is simple. Just save all of the fat you trim off your butts or any other meat you are cooking and save it. When you have a pound or 2 render it down in a sauce pan until it becomes liquid. Throw away the solids that won't melt down. Then when it cools... Pour it into a ice cube tray and make cubes out of it. Put the cubes in a freezer bag and freeze them until you need them. When and how to use it... I always do the reverse sear technic on my steaks. I start the cook as direct heat with no platesetter. Before the cook I put my 13 1/2" grill extender right on top of my fire box and then I put my regular grid on top of my fire ring. I start the cook with the meat on the upper grid with a cooking level temp of 300 degrees. I leave the lid down until the meat gets to 90 degrees. I lift the lid and turn the meat, close the lid and cook until the meat gets to 115 degrees. Then I lift the lid and take the steaks off and place them on a plate while I take off my regular grid so I can get the meat down low on my grill extender grid that is 2" from the now very hot lump. I leave the lid open for the rest of the cook and I have the bottom vent wide open. Then while I have the meat off I blot it with a paper towel so as to remove the water that has rendered during the cook so far. We want to sear the met not steam it. Then... I paint one side of the meat with Beef Love. I put that side down on the grid and let it sizzle for about 3 or 4 minutes. I want it to get that deep dark brown mahogany color like you get at those real expensive Steakhouse's. Before I turn the meat I paint the other side with beef love then I turn it and cook it until the meat gets to 135 degrees. Done! Your steaks will be that beautiful dark mahogany color on the outside and the interior will be pink bumper to bumper. The chef that taught Meathead this trick said that rendered fat is much tastier than olive oil and it allows the meat to sear better. Bottom line my friends... Don't throw your trimmings away. Make it into Beef Love!

Comments

• double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Gotta give that try!
    Lynnwood WA
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,453
    Very interesting, I'm wondering if duck fat will work as well.
    canuckland
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214

I bet duck fat would be amazing. We make roast potatoes with duck fat that are absolutely fantastic.

Lynnwood WA
  • HogHeaven
    HogHeaven Posts: 326

Yes... Any animal fat will work just fine. Duck, chicken, pork, bison, deer... Just put it in a sauce pan and render it down to a liquid. All of those will be tastier than olive oil. Adding another layer of flavor is what cooking is all about.
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665

This is extemy common in high end cooking.

XLBGE 
  • Sounds like a delicious way to do a steak. Do you freeze the trimmed fat until you have enough to render or do you accumulate enough in a short period of time?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.
  • Can I eat the meat love like it's a popsicle? 
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Good tip.

A few years ago I came across a cookbook called "Fat," by a chef named Jennifer McLagan. It did a lot to change my way of thinking about cooking. I started saving trimming of all kinds. I buy a goose once a year primarily for the fat.

Here's something not Egg specific, altho' the food can be finished in an Egg. Chop up fat & skin, mix w. some onion and garlic if you like, and bake it. Drain and strain the hot fat. If there are leftover bits, drain on paper. The remains will likely be very tasty and crisp. Add herbs to the fat. Pour over meat in a slow cooker set to low. Allow to cook for a few hours. The fat traps most of the liquid in the meat, and the herb oils coat the surface. When the meat is falling apart tender, toss into hot Egg for a quick browning.

Strain the now even more flavorful fat from the pot, and save for further use.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Who are you and where have you been all my life :x
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• HogHeaven
    edited April 2013
    Sounds like a delicious way to do a steak. Do you freeze the trimmed fat until you have enough to render or do you accumulate enough in a short period of time?

I keep a heavy freezer bag in my freezer that I collect all of my trimmings in. None ever goes in the trash can or down the garbage disposal anymore. When I get enough I throw it in the sauce pan and render it. 1 ice cube quantity is enough to paint beef love on four steaks.
  • HogHeaven
    edited April 2013
    gdenby said:
    Good tip.

A few years ago I came across a cookbook called "Fat," by a chef named Jennifer McLagan. It did a lot to change my way of thinking about cooking. I started saving trimming of all kinds. I buy a goose once a year primarily for the fat.

Here's something not Egg specific, altho' the food can be finished in an Egg. Chop up fat & skin, mix w. some onion and garlic if you like, and bake it. Drain and strain the hot fat. If there are leftover bits, drain on paper. The remains will likely be very tasty and crisp. Add herbs to the fat. Pour over meat in a slow cooker set to low. Allow to cook for a few hours. The fat traps most of the liquid in the meat, and the herb oils coat the surface. When the meat is falling apart tender, toss into hot Egg for a quick browning.

Strain the now even more flavorful fat from the pot, and save for further use.

Sounds interesting... I make compound butter like that. I put in garlic and chives in soft butter and mix it all together and lay it on Saran wrap and make a log out of it. I put it in a freezer bag and store it in the refer. When I cook steaks sometimes I cut off a dallop of the flavored butter and let it melt on top of the steak while it is resting.
  • Even with our new "return to decency" thread name policy in place, I still think this thread should have been called beef love. 

Great idea. I eat all my pig fat with the butts but I do render and clarify the lard from the pig skin when I do bacon

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • HogHeaven
    Can I eat the meat love like it's a popsicle? 

Hmmm... With the new Obamacare you better get that cleared by that chick he has running his medical programs. It may be illegal now. If you are a New Yorker, Bloomberg would freak out! But... If your asking me? Sure go ahead and enjoy it in anyway you desire.
  • HogHeaven
    edited April 2013
    Thank you gentlemen for all of your valuable imput. I am greatful. I had to go to my son's house to cook dinner for him his wife and a friend... In a skillet for heavens sake. I had 4 Prime grade ribeye's to work with and a big cast iron skillet. I heated the skillet up on high heat for 5 minutes before I put a tablespoon of peanut oil in it. Peanut oil can take that very, very hot temp much better than olive oil. Before putting the meat in the pan I used 1 cube of Knorr's beef bouillon, doused it in a half teaspoon of olive oil and made a paste out of it. I rubbed it on the 1 1/4" steaks and then put them on the real hot, hot cast iron skillet. Cooked for about 3 1/2 minutes per side. You know it is medium rare when blood starts oozing out of the top of the meat... Done. We had fettuccini Alfredo as our side dish, garlic bread and a Bernaise sauce and 2 bottles of a Jordan Cabernet. I didn't lose any weight today for sure. Hint... You might want to try that Knorr's beef bouillon trick on your grill too. It is a level of flavor that salt and pepper can't give you. It helps build a nice crust too. I am going to figure out this attach file debacle tomorrow. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
  • HogHeaven
    Sounds like a delicious way to do a steak. Do you freeze the trimmed fat until you have enough to render or do you accumulate enough in a short period of time?

Was running low on beef love... Today when I was at Albertson's grocery store I asked the butcher if I could get some fat trimmings from him. He gave me 1.43 pounds and charged me .56 cents. That will make a lot of beef love.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    I had to do that to help spare a brisket that was trimmed by a butcher a little too aggressively. 
    Worked out great for my flat. 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • use it to add fat to make your own sausage!!

Large Egg.   Pflugerville, Texas  I Also brew my own beer