Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My First Paella

Options
I got a 17" Paella pan this week and modified the handles so it would fit in my LBGE.   I took the handles off, bent them, and remounted them on the inside of the pan, so it would fit.in the Egg.   Tonight, I cooked my first Paella.  It was pretty good, although most of the soccorat was burned.  I used Alton Browns recipe, but had a hard time getting the rice cooked through.  I cooked it at 350* which I think must have been too high.  Alton didn't give any temps, rather he weighed his lump, which I found to be useless.  Just give me the temp AB. 

Flowery Branch, GA  LBGE

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,383
    Options

Congrats on the cook and the creative pan mods.  You have the larest LBGE pan I have heard of-just gives you the chance to feed more in one shot!  I really enjoy that cook and below is a link that has lots of good info and a couple of recipes if you are interested:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/paella/paella.htm Looks great to me!

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SeeingSpots
    SeeingSpots Posts: 151
    Options
    Next time, I will add onions and/or shallots, plus more paprika, more saffron and something for a little heat.  Also, I will make sure the rice is cooked before adding the shimp the last couple ofminutes.
    Flowery Branch, GA  LBGE
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    If you didn't, make sure you boil the shrimp skins in your water before adding the saffron, That adds even more flavor. I've always made my paella on the stove but am looking forward to doing it on my BGE when I get it in a couple of weeks. I, too, am curious about the temps during the various stages of putting the paella together (nothing worse for paella than burned rice on the bottom of the pan).

By the way, I also cover my paella pan with foil for the last 10-15 minutes to help cook the top layer of rice. Not sure if this will be necessary on the egg?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options

By the way, I also cover my paella pan with foil for the last 10-15 minutes to help cook the top layer of rice. Not sure if this will be necessary on the egg?
    That's a good idea Hank.  It was a big problem getting the top rice soft.
    Flowery Branch, GA  LBGE
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Looks great!! I love Paella and I use the Naked Whiz method that @lousubcap posted.

The key is to try and get a even fire going and shut the bottom vent completely to get it around 400° but if you close the dome often you have to be careful of flashbacks when you open it and add a bunch of oxygen all of a sudden. 

What kind of rice did you use? That can be a big difference on how it cooks. 

I've closed the dome for a few minutes towards the end of my cook, i'm not really sure it helped or not. 

Here is my post that has a step by step method with pictures that might be helpful. Paella on the LBGE! 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • SeeingSpots
    SeeingSpots Posts: 151
    Options
    I used Arroz Valencia.  It was the only paella style rice I could find.   I followed Alton Browns method, but agree that adding the protein AFTER building the soccarat would be much easier to control the doneness of the rice. 

I will know better next time.  Thanks for the tips, looks good.
    Flowery Branch, GA  LBGE