Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Raised Grate

EggHeadinFlorida
EggHeadinFlorida Posts: 892
edited April 2013 in EggHead Forum
Im looking to raise the grate on my XL egg 2 or so inches above the felt line. This is mostly to cook chicken. Im not a fan of having the grate at factory level over the lump.. I see that Big Green Egg makes a raised grate along with The Ceramic Grill Store. Which one are you guys using and why? I tried the whole 4" carriage bolt extension, but it didnt work out to well lol
XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.

Comments

• canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    I'm using ceramic grill store. I found it had more options and it's more versatile imo
  • BillPinNC
    BillPinNC Posts: 68
    I use the adjustable rig and extender on my large BGE and the Woo on my Medium. I have had the rig in the large for a few years and am very happy with its functionality. I recently added a medium egg to collectin and immediately ordered the Woo! Great products, well thought out and built to last.
  • BigGreenBBQ
    BigGreenBBQ Posts: 109
    I have an XL too and I bought the AR and spider from CGS - I am very happy with the products. The designs are well thought out and made to last. Not to mention made in the USA. I made something like the raised BGE grate and it just did not work out plus its one dimensional -- you can do so much with the AR and Spider combo from CGS its well worth your hard earned $...
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    Simpler solution than the bolts and way less $$ than the after-market gear-get yourself fire bricks and use another grid.  Put three bricks on the original grid in the regular position on the fire ring, then use the second grid to get the raised cooking surface.  Or you can use three empty (key word) beer cans to achieve the same result.  To make it work the bottom-line is the second grid.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    On a large and medium, the grill dome extender works very well. It is over 5" so when it site on a grid on the fire ring, it is between 1" and 2" above the felt line. Not sure if they make one for the XL.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • bakoque
    bakoque Posts: 50
    I have the flip ring 3 and spider from Ceramic Grill Store. Sets up at felt level, or flips over to a raised position. Works well for me on the XL.
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    I too have AR and extender for my large BGE from CGS. Quality of this rig is excellent. I would recommend it.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    edited April 2013
    AR from ceramic grill store pic
    Chicken on top vegetables underneath turned out amazing
  • HogHeaven
    HogHeaven Posts: 326
    edited April 2013
    I have a large BGE. I use the GX grill extender from BGE. I assume they have one to fit your XL. It is 13 1/2" wide. Which is a 1/2" wider than my fire box so it fits on my fire box like a glove. And... It has hinged legs on it so it stands on top of your regular grid when you want to add another cooking level. It is even hinged in the middle for compact storage. When mounted on top of your regular grid it stands 2 1/2" higher. I use this for many things. When I cook pizza I put it on top of my regular grid and then put my pizza stone on top of it. I use it in that position to add a layer of ribs. I cook veggies on it while my meat is cooking. I also use it down low sitting on the top of the fire box, 2" for the red hot coal, for searing my steaks. I actually use this grid more than I do my regular grid. And the good news is... It only costs $25. Works like a champ for me.
  • Deckhand
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    I use the Adjustable Rig along with the spider/pizza stone/ small CI grid.  Can go from inches above the lump (with the spider/CI grid) to WAY up in the dome with the AR and extender.  For chicken, I like to use the standard grid on the AR (without the extender) ... a good raised direct height that browns the skin nicely.  
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136

I have the BGE raised grid option (Item: 2TIERXL).  It's a 20" porcelain coated grid that sits almost 4" higher than the stock grid.  If I place it on top of the stock grid without a platesetter for a raised direct cook it sits 1" above the felt line. 

When I bought it the XL Rig did not exist.  I'd love to have the flexibility the XL Rig brings but just can't bring myself (yet) to spend the $s for the Rig when I already invested in the BGE options.

XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    fwiw, bolts didn't work for me with my large. Bought the AR rig with oval stone, and extender, love it. no regrets purchase, and... as the name implies very adjustable.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket!