Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork with Chillies and Yangzhou Fried Rice - First wok cook

Options
caliking
caliking Posts: 18,731
 I was planning on doing this tonight or on the weekend, but I couldn't take it anymore. It had to happen last night.

Cobbled together a wok setup using a wok ring and a $4 wok from an estate sale. Set a grid at the firering level, and set the wok ring on it. Fired up the small while I prepped the rest of the meal.

For the fried rice: Well, it was supposed to Yangzhou fried rice ( also called Yang Chow fried rice), but I tweaked the recipe somewhat. Omitted the meat, and added some veg to it. Didn't have leftover rice, so I had to make fresh rice and try to cool/dry it in front of a fan. Clockwise from the rice - mix of crimini, oyster, and shiitake mushrooms. Garlic slices. Eggs beaten with rice wine. Carrots. Scallions.Sesame oil in the middle.

Got the wok nice and hot and added the oil. First fried the garlic, to make a burnt garlic type of fried rice.

Removed the garlic, and made the omelet next. Almost burned it! And my omelet flipping skills aren't that great.

Added the veg + mushrooms. Once the mushrooms were cooked, in went the rice, omelet, and fried garlic. 

Now for the pork:  Rummaged around in the freezer and found some pork trimmings from the flap meat of  spare ribs done a while back. 
Marinated them in soy sauce, cornstarch, and rice wine. Found some broccoli in the refrigerator and decided to include that as well. Left to right, top row - marinated pork, broccoli, mushroom mix (same as fried rice); middle row - ginger, red chillies, garlic, toban djan (chili bean sauce); bottom row: bamboo shoots, sauce of chinkiang vinegar, soy, sugar, cornstarch, sesame oil, rice wine.

Things went pretty quickly from here on (well the fried rice went pretty quickly too). Heated up some sesame oil and fried the red chillies, garlic and ginger until just fragrant. 

Added the marinated pork and fried for a few minutes. Added the toban djan sauce and cooked for another few minutes. Next, threw in the mushrooms and bamboo shoots.

The sauce was the last to be added. Let it come to a boil for a few minutes for the sauce to thicken. I like the color the broccoli adds.

And the final plated shot:

This cook was a hit in so many ways. SWMBO came outside to watch me having so much fun and said "You know, we should think about making an outdoor kitchen for you." Hell yeah!!! The pork was spectacular - fiery and flavorful, and the fried rice was very tasty. I see many more wok cooks in my future :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments