Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Using Wood for Fuel

Options

Does anyone use hardwood chunks or small logs for fuel in the egg instead of using lump?  I am not talking about adding some chunks of wood for smoke -- I mean using it as your only fuel source (no lump).  If so how do you do it without it creating a ton of smoke? Any dangers in cooking this way? I cannot image it would make the egg too hot though I can see it burning the original gasket if the egg remains open.

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    First question would be why.... Also think the amount of ash buildup would be great. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• BigGreenBBQ
    BigGreenBBQ Posts: 109
    Options

I dunno why -- cause I have a ton of wood I guess. I have heard of people using just wood like in a wood fired BBQ pit so I figured I could do the same on the egg. I imagine it would be for short cooks like steak or chicken. Maybe I could even snuff out the fire well enough after to create some lump! 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited April 2013
    Options
    I think you could get it pretty darn hot with wood only. I broke my tandoor some time ago by filling it up with wood and letting it rip (just felt like burning something that day). It shouldn't produce that much ash.

But again I'm not sure why you would want to. It may be hard to regulate temps since choking off the air intake would likely lead to incomplete combustion of the wood. Not so great for bbq, but you could end up making charcoal.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Z_Eggineer
    Z_Eggineer Posts: 576
    Options
    I think the Naked Whiz has a write-up about this.  You could do that, but not necessarily cheap (depending on where you get your wood).  If too low, might make too much smoke.  (I hear stick burners take a good amount of skill).  Also, I know oak can provide HUGE heat spikes.  In conclusion, you could do it, but there are other things you could do with it that might be more productive. (Gifts for fellow smokers, make charcoal, make more bbq)
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    Why fix something that ain't broke?? I see a lot more problems than good that would come out of this. Plus, an egg loaded with logs is far from an offset trailer smoker. Those things are a whole Different beast, very hard to control, and a lot more going on than wood on fire in a box.

XLBGE 
  • svendangle
    Options
    I wouldnt suggest it. It would be very messy and a pain to maintain temp
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    We've been through this before here, Stike had the best answer (which I can't find), but I think @gdenby captured it. 
    The egg is meant to be used with the dome closed and the air flow restricted to produce an optimum temp. If wood smoulders there is too many VOCs until it becomes charcoal. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Z_Engineer was right.  I have tried this and it is definitely not a good idea.  One of two things happens if you close the dome and try to use wood.  Either the wood gets hot enough to ignite and you have tremendous heat, or if you close down the vents to restrict airflow and put the flames out, you get smoldering which produces mass quantities of smoke and creosote.  After an hour or so, the top of my small cooker was creosoted (new word?) to the dome.  I was luck to get it off without destroying the dome.  If you want to cook with wood, you need to do what the big boys do at the real BBQ restaurnats do.  Burn the wood down to coals in another vessel, and then you can keep adding coals to your Egg for the duration of the cook.
    The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    I suppose I should also point to this: Can I Burn Wood In A Ceramic Cooker?
    The Naked Whiz