Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

FIRST TIME SMOKER

Hey everyone! My father passed away a few years ago and we have not used his BGE since then. I've just replaced the seal and am going to attempt using it tomorrow to smoke a boston butt. I know my fiance's parents have a daisy wheel on theirs, but I only see the ceramic lid on ours. Is that purely for snuffing out the charcoal, or would I use this while smoking? HELP! and thank you!

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    The ceramic lid is just for snuffing out the fire and keeping the rain out. I suspect it would be a challenge to do a good low temp smoke with the ceramic lid either on or off. Get a daisy wheel. If you can't get one before your first cook, I suspect you could rig up some aluminum foil with one ot two holes poked in it.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Luckily I live about 25 minutes from the headquarters here in Georgia! What's the best method for cleaning it today before I fire it up in the morning? Thanks all!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited April 2013
    Just a suggestion. You might need just to play with the fire by doing burgers of just the fire by itself first to get an idea on settings. I do not use the daisy wheel at all. This is how a few of us do butts. TURBO BUTTS · Hot'n fast, 350 for 3 hours to internal to around 160, then wrap in foil and 2 more hours to 195 and then let it rest for an hour or so wrapped in towels in a ice chest. Falls apart and oh so good! Have fun! · Be sure you only get a 7lb butt or so (or a couple ) . Note: The butt box is not required.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• I've used an egg a few times, but the longest cook I've done was ribs...and that was only 2 1/2 hours! With the "turbo" method, do you leave the top open?
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I would definitely pick up a daisy wheel at some point, but if you don't get a chance to another option would be to use foil on the top to restrict the air flow. 

To remove the old ash and lump you may want to take out the grid, fire ring, and fire box and clean out anything that is in there.  Here is a link to the online manual that shows the breakdown of these parts.

If the egg is actually "dirty", you may want to do a clean burn before you cook on it.  Only problem it would have been best to do this before you put on your new gasket.  However, if it is nasty inside a clean burn might be necessary.  Just load it with lump and light it and leave the bottom vent wide open and the top off.  You may consider covering the gasket with foil all around the top and bottom (yes...foil is my answer for everything!).  

--Read the safety tip in the manual about "Avoid flashback and burp the egg".  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Mickey
    By "top" if you mean the whole big green lid then no. The lid is always closed except to load and unload and check food. Also have a turbo method for quicker ribs, just ask.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Oh no! I mean the hole at the top where the daisy wheel typically goes! Sorry for my lack of clarity/correct terminology!
  • dpittard
    dpittard Posts: 126
    Not having been used for a while, I would suggest a clean burn before putting any meat in the Egg.  I always do this to any of my smokers that have been sitting unused for a while.  Don't want to risk any off flavors getting into the meat.

LBGE with a massive wish list
    Athens, Ga.
  • Mickey
    Oh no! I mean the hole at the top where the daisy wheel typically goes! Sorry for my lack of clarity/correct terminology!
    I never use anything on the top..... It is always open on mine.

• Okay guys, my boston butts are officially on the cooking grid...it looks like the temp is hovering around 250. I have a 9.6 lb one and an 8.5 lb one on there. To what internal temperature should I smoke these? I see 190 frequently, that just seems really high! Aren't most meats between 150 - 170? I don't want to over cook them for sure! Thanks again for all of your help! Hopefully I'll make Dad proud! ;)
  • SmokeyPitt
    edited April 2013
    Okay guys, my boston butts are officially on the cooking grid...it looks like the temp is hovering around 250. I have a 9.6 lb one and an 8.5 lb one on there. To what internal temperature should I smoke these? I see 190 frequently, that just seems really high! Aren't most meats between 150 - 170? I don't want to over cook them for sure! Thanks again for all of your help! Hopefully I'll make Dad proud! ;)
    Assuming you want to make pulled pork, You do want to cook to 190-200.  I wondered about this too...pork is safe at 145...considered well.done at 160...so yes, u  basically ARE overcooking it!  You are supposed to with a butt if you want to use it for pulled pork.  After cooking it that long the fat will melt and keep it moist.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Pulled pork at 190 to 200 and sliced pork 160 to 180. But don't tell anyone on the forum that you sliced it like I did. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Thanks guys! I am making pulled pork and ribs for my engagement dinner tonight...please let it go as planned!! ;) any tips for finishing something in the oven if its a MUST? I am super paranoid about the BGE holding its temperature...
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    If it comes to it, wrap the butt in foil and put it in a 250 oven. Especially if you are close to dinner and only at 185 internal. You can even bump the oven up to 325 if necessary.

The egg will hold temp as long as charcoal is left and you still have good air flow through the grate.
  • SmokeyPitt

What time are you planning to serve dinner?  You may need to kick the heat up a little to finish on time. It can take a while for butts to finish when cooking at 250.  Guestimate around 1.5-2 hours per lb.  You can also wrap in foil and that makes them cook even faster (basically traps in more heat). 

No harm in using the oven to finish things- just make sure any food you put in the oven is wrapped tightly in foil. 

What's the general attack plan for the ribs and butts?  Can you fit them all on the egg at the same time?  You can always smoke the butts on the egg for a while, then wrap them in foil and move them to the oven to finish to make room for the ribs.

One more tip is if the butts get to 190ish ahead of time you can hold them in wrapped in foil, then in towels, stuffed in a dry cooler (FTC- foil towel cooler).  They will stay hot for several hours.  Another option is to simply use the "keep warm" setting in the oven. 

• My hope is for the butts to finish by about 4, then the ribs will go on for about. 2 hours per my recipe. They have been on for almost 2 1/2 hours and as of now, internal temp is 115. Egg is still holding steady at 250. I need to do a clean burn I think to make sure all is well. Someone else put the new seal on for me, that's why I am so paranoid! Wish my dad was still here to guide me, glad I have folks like you all on the forum to help out! Dinner will be around 7 or 7:30, I hope!
  • These are the butts
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    A couple of others thing to consider-each butt will cook at its own pace.  Don't be surprised if there are a couple of hours difference in the finish times.  As mentioned above, you should plan on around 2hrs/# at the 250*F calibrated dome temp. Don't know when you put them on or your time zone.  Once you get to around 190*F start checking the ease of pulling the bone out of the butt.  When it pulls clean you are at the finish-line.  And recognize that a stall is going to happen-somewhere in the 160+/- *F range the temp will stop rising (may fall a few degrees) and take several hours to then continue the rise. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Listen to what @lousubcap said about the stall. Don't panic if the temp stops moving up for awhile, do not adjust the temp of the Egg. This is natural. Just let it do its thing and it will start going up after a while. Once the bone starts to wiggled and feels like it will pull free easily, you are done. I've taken them 205 before and they were fine.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• With the ribs, should I go ahead and rub them and leave them in the fridge or wait til it's close to cook time? Thanks guys :) internal temp is up to 131 and egg holding steady at 250 :)
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    I always like letting the rub sit on the meat. 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • tazcrash said:
    I always like letting the rub sit on the meat. 
    +1. I usually do mine the night before. Wrap them in plastic wrap and let them sit in the fridge.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.