Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Impressive Flashback!

Dyal_SC
Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
Burped the bastard about 7 or 8 times. LOL. Still got me. I didn't want all that arm hair anyways. ;)

Comments

• canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    edited April 2013
    I think sooner or later we all get it.
  • Sookie
    Sookie Posts: 335
    Ow.  Yeah I got mine hot enough that it singed my eyelashes once.  Don't want to do that again.  Be careful. 
  • EddieK76
    EddieK76 Posts: 416
    I remember my first time.  It was magical and I saw stars and felt weak in my knees....
    Large BGE

• Dyal_SC
    I'm ok.... LOL. It was so quick that all it got was my arm hair. Used to it now....almost second nature. ;)
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    So let me guess, you had just added new lump, BGE brand or WGWW
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    edited April 2013
    My neighbor asked me to look at his new gas grill a few weeks ago. He was having problems lighting it. I walked in his yard just in time to see a heck of a flash when he opened the grill. Got his arms, eyebrows, eyelashes and some hair on his head. His dog didn't escape unsinged either. He is considering a BGE now.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • Dyal_SC
    Just added new Royal Oak....stabilizing it at 425 deg f for the deep dish pizza I'm about to throw on. I personally find that 400-450 is the most dangerous zone for flashbacks. :) I burped it again and again, but it apparently decided it wanted to gulp a last bit of oxygen on my last lift. ;)
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    EddieK76 said:
    I remember my first time.  It was magical and I saw stars and felt weak in my knees....
    We are talking about fwoomp, flashbacks you know......
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • ddegger
    ddegger Posts: 244
    I got one doing a tenderloin at about 400 - maybe you are right about the temp. Like you, I burped it multiple times and was shocked when the flashback happened. Fortunately, I learned early to keep my head back, so only got some arm hair.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Yowza! Note to self - Must always remember to burp. Otherwise my hand may end up like VI's... without the photoshop.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • JMSetzler
    JMSetzler Posts: 75
    I had my first experience with flashback over the weekend.  I cooked a 17lb brisket overnight Saturday night and it finished up around 2pm on Sunday.  I took it off and rested it and wanted to toss on a dish of mac & cheese.  When I ramped up the temp to 375-ish, I was getting a lot of billowing white smoke from brisket residue on the deflector plate.  I was getting so much of it I was not adequately able to burp the grill and I still got 'bitten' by it.  I guess there are times when a drip pan does come in handy :)
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I don't don't mind the flashback.

Do you all have any idea how much I've saved on shaving supplies? Plus, I have a nice tan all year long.
  • bccomstock
    bccomstock Posts: 338
    I think the action of raising and lowering the dome in succession multiple times will force enough air into the fire pit to cause a flashback.. Luckily I've been able to close the dome before any flashbacks have caught me.. The first time I did a multi-burp (a couple in succession) and started to hear a whooshing sound.. Last time it happened I saw flames coming out the top vent..

LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
  • daffy1909
    daffy1909 Posts: 498
    havent got my (tattoo) yet,but im sure its coming!!!!! :))
  • Adamd
    Adamd Posts: 160
    I was cooking burgers direct one day and we all know you get that grease dripping and the fire can really go crazy. I opened it like normal 3 or 4 times up and down and the fire just flashed up fast and a big ball of fire came out. It was cool, but I did drop the dome but all is ok. Thank god the dome was not up that high.