Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Major Fail on Steak

Back from San Francisco, I wanted to grill a steak on my Mini. I went to the HEB meat counter and saw a "Prime" sirloin steak that looked like it would fit my Mini. Well, it fit the Mini but....it was a sorry tough piece of medium rare cooked meat. Never again, I will stay with the ribeyes and filets. Cheap Prime is not Prime. I know it could have been that particular animal but not going to risk it again. Sirloin is sirloin.

Springram
Spring, Texas
LBGE and Mini

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    I really have no use for sirloin unless it's being used in fajitas or stew, just my opinion though.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    I've had some excellent prime sirloins from Costco, but I've also (more recently) gotten some really tough allegedly prime sirloins from Costco.  I too, stopped buying them and have been favoring ribeye and the occasional porterhouse steaks...though I have to say the T bone is kind of a PITA to deal with.  I used to mostly buy whole tenderloins and slice them up myself, but it's been a while.

Lately, I've been able to get really good ribeye steaks from the local Win Dixie, which is far more convenient than Costco.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    flat iron steak is less costly and much better.... try one
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    Thanks guys for the response. I agree about the flat iron steak and/or maybe a hanger steak. They are super as long you never cook them beyond medium rare.

My HEB (major chain in Texas) requires a special request for such cuts. They are more interested in cutting meat to put on the shelfs than selling what a customer wants individually. Love the store but not the meat counter. I think one of the problems I have is that I complained to the store manger once. He was great but I am now dead at the counter.

Sorry for the sad song....

Springram
    LBGE and Mini
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    @Springram: I like the beef at Costco. Prime beef is in the blue styrofoam trays. The guys at the counter have been nice the few times i have dealt with them.  Price is good too. I haven't bought beef anywhere else since we moved to Houston a few years ago. Bunker Hill Costco should stock the same stuff that the one on Richmond does.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Rumour has it that Henry VIII knighted the loin of beef as it was his favourite cut, hence we call it Sir Loin. 
    iMHO, only a small part of a sirloin is suitable for a steak. The majority is ideal for kabobs or stir fries, it does have much more flavour than round. 
    I always hit a sirloin with a Jaccard before cooking or cutting into kabob cubes. The days of well marbled sirloin are gone. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • A2Z
    A2Z Posts: 99
    Sorry to hear about your sirloin.  We are typically ribeye or porterhouse steak people.  I did buy some of AJ's prime sirloin on their last steak sale.  One of the better pieces of meat we have had recently.
    The key I believe is not to rush it and definately not overcook.  Remember you will pick up a few degrees in the rest.
    This piece did not have an exceptional amount of marbling like most sirloin you will find.
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    I rarely buy any steak other than prime sirloin, and I've had great luck. But I also have a great butcher. The other cuts are just too fatty for me. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited April 2013
    I did a beef bourguignon last night using sirloin. It took three hours of braising to get the meat tender.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I did a beef bourguignon last night using sirloin. It took three hours of braising to get the meat tender.
    Yum. I'm with Julia Child on this one. It is certainly one of the most delicious beef dishes concocted by man.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    It was a weeknight so I didn't do Julia's method exactly but I have in the past and it is damn good. Coq au Vin is the bomb as well. Need to use stewing hen for that though.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887

Come to Nebraska.  The steak here is fantastic. But, you might want to wait until May.  It's f'ing snowing again.  God giveth, and God taketh away.

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE