Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Moving the Egg Cross Country

My Egg, my wife and I are moving across country (Chicago to Portland).  Looking for some advice on disassembling the egg and moving it.  I have never take the egg apart (I also did not assemble it, my dealer did that for me when it was delivered) and was wondering if there are any tips for removing the bands around the base and lid.  I have asked my dealer for a LBGE box and he was more than willing to give me one.  I am assuming the best way to move it is in pieces in the original packaging.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Sell it to a neighbor and buy a new one when you get there! I would not let movers move it.
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Sell it to a neighbor and buy a new one when you get there! I would not let movers move it.
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    What do you drive? It is not as bad as one would think, they don't like being dropped but they also are not as fragile as one would think.

XLBGE 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Unless your flying, I would disassemble it and find a box to stuff with towels or packing material(similar to the way the egg is shipped new) then find a way to pack it in the car. 

If no room and your using a moving company, do the same thing and make sure they are insured and take lots of pics prior to disassembly, afterwards, while packed and the inspect at the final location.

Or sell it and but a new one, like Dawg said 
    ;)
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    But, I would let movers move it if you have quality movers with insurance.  That way if they break it, they buy it.
    This is what I did going from NY to TX. 
    They stuffed the inside with moving blankets, put it on a dolly, off she went. 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292
    No room in car, plus we will be in temporary housing for a month till we find a place.  Wil pack ip up good and let the movers take it.  We have fully insured movers, so it should be okay. 
  • Go to your dealer And get the crate it came in. Get the boxes for the ring and fire box too. They throw all these away so they will gladly give you the full set up.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Careful if you pack it. Our movers had to pack it in order to be insured. But I supervised the heck out of them. I'm sure they hated it. 
    Too bad. 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Build a simple wood crate for it?
    Gittin' there...
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I think you should just invest in the grill barrow and wheel it across country.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I suggest you take pics of Egg on all sides, and the insides. Print out (B&W is fine on cheap paper) have the movers sign the pics and forget about it. If problem, you got the proof all was fine when they packed. If you tell them how to pack it they can say it was your fault.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Buy a Grill Barrow and attach it to your car.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    If you take it apart, be careful with the hinge. It needs to be locked in the closed position before removing. When new your egg came with little white plastic "thingy's" to do this with. Ask your dealer.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Personally I would get a large box, put some popcorn styrofoam in the bottom, put the egg in and cover the sides and top equally and ride. Make sure you secure the box. 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    this is how I moved my leg... oh, you said egg.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Grill barrow surrounded by mangrates for extra protection from the elements.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    FRAGILE......must be French . :-/

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    My brother and I moved his last summer, used the OEM box, locked the hinge and several feet of carpet padding. It arrived safely after a 500 mi trip in a trailer. I forgot how much a Large BGE weighed until we picked up the box. A movers dolly came in handy as well as several adjustable straps.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • MikeP624
    I got the all the original packaging from my deal and the white plastic hinge holders.  Should be good to go.  Going to make sure the movers know that it is heavy and very breakable.
  • MikeP624

The movers are coming to inspect everything monday and give us a price.  I will show them egg and how it is packed and stress the importance of not hurting it.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    MikeP624 said:

The movers are coming to inspect everything monday and give us a price.  I will show them egg and how it is packed and stress the importance of not hurting it.

Offer to cook for them. They will strap it in the front seat and one will ride in the trailer to make sure it stays safe.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Our offset smoker mover across country 2 times and 1/2 way once (think heavy and big).  
    Take pictures etc cause they will be most important for insurance claim.  Most national movers are very careful with your stuff.
    Remember the packers are hourly workers and they will take extra care packing your valuables if you provide coffee and donuts at breakfast and pizza and soft drinks for lunch. 
    Only had to make 1 claim in six moves.  
    If you are moving the egg yourself then do what cen-tex said and get the original packing material for the dealer.  
    Good luck 
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx