Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

warranty gasket

When you get your gasket replaced under warranty do they send you a high temp one(nomex)?   Do you talk to your dealer to get a new gasket?   I talked to my dealer  March 17th and he said he has contacted BGE.  He has still not received the new gasket yet from BGE.  Should it really take that long?  He also offered to give me one of his gaskets off the shelf or I could get a nomex one for a $12 difference.  I was hoping BGE would send a nomex one for the warranty one so I have not taken him up on his offer.

Comments

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    i called the Mother Ship and they sent me a new high temp gasket within a few days 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    edited April 2013
    Could be wrong but I don't believe BGE deals Nomex gaskets.  That's not a bad deal your dealer offered you if it comes with adhesive.  They their own "high heat" gasket but pretty sure it isn't Nomex.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942

I wouldn't waste my time with a replacement (even for free) that will eventually disintegrate.  If you're going to go through the trouble of replacing it, put on a gasket that will last as long as your egg does.  For under $20, you can put on a Rutland with a tube of $6 Permatex Ultra Copper.
    Something to consider.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    I emailed the Mothership with a picture of my gasket attached.  They emailed right back and thanked me for the documentation and said they were putting a new gasket with the self adhesive backing in the mail.
  • daffy1909
    daffy1909 Posts: 498
    i was told the gasket wasnt covered!!!!! >:P
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    My dealer tried to sell me a replacement gasket for $16.00 , the same gasket that burnt up within three months of cooking without the first pizza! When I realized it was the same POS felt gasket that was on my egg, I left the dealer's store. Ordered the Rutland gasket from RRP on the other forum which has been on my egg for over two years...
  • carter422
    carter422 Posts: 58
    I emailed customer service and told them my gasket died.  Bruce asked me where I got my egg and sent on to me  a high temp one in the mail.  This was just last week.
  • Those of you with failed gaskets, can you post a pic? Ive had my Egg for about 3 weeks now and the gasket has seen better days. I would like to see if my gasket is toast, or if Im still good to go by comparing it to yall's

XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Personal view, it is not so much the look but rather the feel of the gasket. If it is hard without any give, it is toast (actually, same comparison - a new gasket is soft like bread, a dead one is like burnt toast). 
    Try the $bill test and next time you fire it up, throw some chips on the lump, dampen the top and bottom to almost closed and look for smoke between the dome and base. If you see smoke escaping from the "felt line", time for a new gasket. 
    Some don't use one at all. I tried to go commando, but I found the feel of dropping the dome onto the base was not to my liking, the egg seemed to work the same, it just didn't feel right. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    This is what I emailed them. Terrible pic but you get the idea. I had a new gasket in the mailbox by the end of the week. Still haven't put it on tho!!

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

XLBGE 
  • Yep, about 1/4" from the inside of the grill is what mine looks like. LOL
  • MrCookingNurse
    @eggheadinflorida
    sorry for the teriible cell phone pic, but like @skiddymarker said, it is hard and crusty.  I have a constant billow of smoke out of the front when I cook anything under 500. It's getting hotter and im have some days off soon so im repace it then

XLBGE 
  • I'm not at the point where I have smoke coming up through the gasket so I guess that's a good thing for now. I have about nine cooks on my grill with two of them being a pizza cook. I can only imagine what it will look like the next month or so if I stay on the same track lol.
  • MrCookingNurse
    I stayed low under 400 for a long time on my egg when I bought it, was supposed to make the gasket cure to the egg.  Well, after the first burn on the gasket I said bump this and have never looked back, It is pure crunchy toast now.  My first cooks on my small where 600 degree steaks  >:)

XLBGE 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Like @MrCokkingNurse says - it is crunchy, found these pics which I sent to my dealer and he gave me a new High Temp BGE gasket - It looks pretty much like this one now. I have a spare Nomex that is going on next. 
    It has some "fuzz on the outside, the texture is much like pavement, not much seal. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    they sent a nomex no questions asked. it was free and has held up well.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN