Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Last Night's Yardbird

Options
Dyal_SC
Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
Dusted down with my homemade rub, injected with Dales Seasoning and onto the egg, raised direct, at around 375 deg f. Used a handful of Jack Daniels whiskey barrel oak chips for smoke. Best dang chicken I've ever had! My wife said the same thing. :)

Anyone else cooking on a Big Yellow Egg these days? ;) The pollen is about to kill me.

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Nice cook, Dyal. My porch is about an 1/8 of an inch deep in pollen. My egg is a nice yellow shade. Disgusting. Maybe the rain today will wash some out.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Looking good Dyal.  Miraculously the pollen hasn't really hit us here yet.  Looking forward to washing my black vehicle 3 times a day :)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    That is a good looking yard bird. I am suffering from pollen overdose. It is terrible. I have allergies, and I am almost down for the count.

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    That is a good looking yard bird. I am suffering from pollen overdose. It is terrible. I have allergies, and I am almost down for the count.

I feel your pain. I just paid $1200 for an allergy test to be told I am allergic to dust, pollen, etc. What a waste. I get two BAD sinus infections a year so was hoping for relief. Gotta love it.

Back to Que.....

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    Looks good  Dyal_SC .

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Is it lunchtime yet? That chicken is makin' me hungry.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Dyal_SC
    Options
    Thx guys. @caliking , yup! Eating some leftovers at my desk right now. :)
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options

WOW

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Injected and whiskey barrel chips... :-O

The bar has been elevated and my creative side is going into overdrive! 
    =D>
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Looks awesome!

I can't wait for the pollen up here around DC. Everything is budding out and the Cherry blossoms downtown are about to pop; the touristas have been nuts. I went to my knife class last Saturday and it took nearly an hour to get out of the city from all the people wanting to look at barren trees.

At least it was sunny.
  • Dyal_SC
    Options
    Thx guys! @Eggcelsior, my wife has family in Tacoma Park and Ellicott City. What area are you from? We get up that way every so often. I have some Cherry Blossum trees in my yard too. They are pretty when they are in bloom. Took this pic last night. To stay on topic, does anyone know if I can use the trimmings from these as smoking wood? Seems like it would be doable after seasoning it for about 6 months...but I'm not sure.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    @Dyal_SC

I am in Frederick and my family is from Rockville. My wife has family in Pasadena and the Odenton area. Spring is absolutely beautiful in the area with the fruit blossoms and the azaleas. The only thing better is Amen corner.

I am sure you could use the wood after seasoning. Fruit wood is fruit wood. I plan on hitting up the orchards this year to see what they have from the cherry and peach harvests. Apple in the fall.
  • Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    Options
    Looks awesome. Where can you get Dale's seasoning? Yes the pollen is killing me but my Veramyst is keeping me going.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:
    Thx guys! @Eggcelsior, my wife has family in Tacoma Park and Ellicott City. What area are you from? We get up that way every so often. I have some Cherry Blossum trees in my yard too. They are pretty when they are in bloom. Took this pic last night. To stay on topic, does anyone know if I can use the trimmings from these as smoking wood? Seems like it would be doable after seasoning it for about 6 months...but I'm not sure.
    Nice yardbird @Dyal_SC - like the use of "my homemade rub", anything special?
    I use Japanese cherry for smoke all the time, I have a couple of neighbours that just throw their prunings over the fence, much appreciated. I seldom season as it is pretty small. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options

Try the NeilMed Sinus rinse system, or a Neti Pot.  My allergies used to destroy me, but I've had a lot of success with the sinus rinse.  It's a bit of an odd sensation the first time you use it, but it's crazy how effective it is.  

By the way, Dyal...the chicken looks ridiculously good. 

Chubbs said:

I feel your pain. I just paid $1200 for an allergy test to be told I am allergic to dust, pollen, etc. What a waste. I get two BAD sinus infections a year so was hoping for relief. Gotta love it.

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    SaltySam said:

Try the NeilMed Sinus rinse system, or a Neti Pot.  My allergies used to destroy me, but I've had a lot of success with the sinus rinse.  It's a bit of an odd sensation the first time you use it, but it's crazy how effective it is.  

By the way, Dyal...the chicken looks ridiculously good. 

Chubbs said:

I also use a neti pot. Get two sinus infections a year. It helps me a good bit. That and Claritin OTC dissolvable tabs. It has helped me from taking antibiotics so far.
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    And great looking cook!
    Boom
  • Dyal_SC
    Options
    Thanks a lot, fellas'!! :)

@Plano_JJ , you can find it at all the grocery stores in my neck of the woods. It's on the same isle as the BBQ sauces and hot sauces. Goes great on burgers. And apparently outstanding injected in chicken too! :)

@Skiddymarker , my buddy and I are starting up a rub company called Blue Boys BBQ. We are hoping to support families of fallen law enforcement officers with a "round up" option. We haven't started production yet, but have finalized our recipe for our original recipe. Good all purpose rub for chicken and pork. I don't want to use the egghead forum to pimp our product though, so that's why I haven't mentioned it before. Plus the fact that we aren't on the market yet. haha. You can find us on Facebook though. Website is a work in progress. :)
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    I would be interested in trying out that rub! :D

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• ddegger
    ddegger Posts: 244
    Options
    Looks fantastic! No pollen in the Raleigh area to speak of yet, but not looking forward to it - trying to figure out how to paint a new screened patio without it turning yellow.