Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chorizo Stuffed Avacados

Made a 3 lb batch of Chroizo sausage from scratch this afternoon. Stuffed 6 Avocado halves and topped with Monterrey Jack cheese. The baking pan just fits in my mini. They are zero carbs and taste great.
1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein

Comments

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Oh wow I bet those are great! =P~
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757

Did you forget to remove the stickers? :D

Looking good. Never heard of this before.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    They look awesome! What a great idea...
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    Thanks, forgot the stickers. I took them off a few secs ago. They are really good, I suspect I will cook them in Athens. The scratch made Chroizo takes nothing like what you buy in the store. I use a 50/50 beef pork blend and some apple cider vinegar in the sausage. 
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • ddegger
    ddegger Posts: 244
    Sounds fantastic! Never heard of it either, but looks like worth trying.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Aviator said:

Did you forget to remove the stickers? :D

Looking good. Never heard of this before.

Are you talking about the stickers I saw on some avocados at the grocery store today that said "Ripe".  I mean,.... uh....do  you really have to sticker that?  I would think most people can tell which avocados are 1)ripe within one or two days, 2) Ripe.  Ready for guacamole, or 3) past prime.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Where do you live my brother ( you do have some sausage leftover)?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Gary, you never sent me your chorizo recipe. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • tamu2009
    tamu2009 Posts: 387
    How long and what temp did you cool them? This is on my list to try now.

2 or my favorite things chorizo and avocado
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • egger ave
    Finished and ready to eat.

Albert Einstein
  • egger ave
    Mickey said:
    Where do you live my brother ( you do have some sausage leftover)?
    I will make some for you and bring to Athens or Austin, your choice.

Albert Einstein
  • Village Idiot
    edited April 2013
    Gary, you never sent me your chorizo recipe. 
    Nor will I.  See your other post.  I will be happy to give it to Mickey or Cen-Tex.  You can get it from them.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• egger ave
    tamu2009 said:
    How long and what temp did you cool them? This is on my list to try now. 2 or my favorite things chorizo and avocado
    About 10 mins at 300 ~ 325 or until meat temp is 130. Cool for 5 mins.

Albert Einstein
  • Mickey
    Did you come to Salado?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• egger ave
    Mickey said:
    Did you come to Salado?
    Sure for last 3 years. Made the Canadian Bacon this year and cooked the steaks with the new BGE owner from Waco 

Albert Einstein
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    That
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    You had me at homemade chorizo!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Austin  Egghead
    That was your Canadian bacon.... sure was good. Will be interested in tasting your chorizo. See you in Salado. And oh, the stuffed avocado have made it to the to-cook list.
  • egger ave
    I will post the recipe for my Chorizo and the Stuffed Avacados in recipes.

Albert Einstein
  • That looks awesome. Don't know if I'd call it stuffed vs piled on top. Looks great!
  • Mickey
    Went back and could not find you in the list but then looked at your picture. Sorry to be an idiot (not the good kind like Gary).

• egger ave
    That looks awesome. Don't know if I'd call it stuffed vs piled on top. Looks great!
    Agreed, I fill/stuff/pile the Chorizo the cavity where the pit used to be. I have seen some recipes where the avocado meat is cooked, removed and blended with the other stuffing. I tried this and decided it's not worth the effort IMHO.

Albert Einstein
  • egger ave
    Mickey said:
    Went back and could not find you in the list but then looked at your picture. Sorry to be an idiot (not the good kind like Gary).
    You were very busy that at the Eggfest. I had to change my handle because of an issue with the old forum. Are you going to Athens or Austin?

Albert Einstein
  • egger ave

John’s Chorizo Sausage makes about 2-1/2 lbs

Ingredients:

2 dried Ancho or New Mexico Red Chiles

1 lb of 75/25 ground beef, extra lean meat doesn’t make good sausage IMHO.

1 lb of ground pork

6 oz of Salt Pork

8-10 cloves of garlic, peeled

1-1/2 TSP of Salt

1 TSP of ground black pepper

½ TSP of Cumin

½ TSP of Oregano, I use fresh but dried will work

3 TBS of Ancho Chile Powder

1 cup of water

2 TBS of Apple Cider Vinegar

Making the sausage

Cut the stem off the peppers. In a small sauce pan, boil one cup of water and the peppers for about 5 mins until the peppers are soft. Turn the heat off and let the peppers and water cool for 10 mins.

Add the garlic cloves, spices, the peppers, salt pork and ¼ cup of water into your food processor. Blend until the ingredients become a paste.

Place the meat, salt, pepper, vinegar, the remaining water from cooking the chile’s and the paste in a large bowl and blend by hand.  

Will keep in the refrigerator for about 3 days. In the freezer about 10 days.

Albert Einstein
  • Mickey
    Will go to Austin for sure. Athens not looking so good now.

• Village Idiot
    We are going to swing by Austin on our way back from Fredericksburg - tasters only.

I really want to try your beef chorizo.  I really like the pork chorizo I make (Homesick Texan's recipe), but would love to try some beef chorizo.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Austin  Egghead
    @egger why such a short freezer life? I make my own chorizo and have no problem with a longer shelf life in the freezer....just wondering.
  • egger ave
    @egger why such a short freezer life? I make my own chorizo and have no problem with a longer shelf life in the freezer....just wondering.

That  was a typo, it will keep longer as you say. Never had it last more than a week or two before it's gone.

Albert Einstein
  • Austin  Egghead
    edited April 2013
    @egger. I understand what you mean by not lasting very long. I had to hide the four pounds that I made for Salado from the other half. When it comes to chorizo the other half lives up to his egging name, Taste Tester.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    you leave the shells on...?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN