Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wild Turkey

Options
ugabulldog56
ugabulldog56 Posts: 26
edited March 2013 in EggHead Forum
My nephew killed a turkey this morning and we just breasted him out.  Any recommendations on an indirect time and temp?  Im doing the ribs also around 250-275.  Should I put the turkey on after the ribs and raise the temp?

I attached a pic of the meat just to show the size of the turkey.  Thanks for the help!!!

Comments

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I would brine for at least an hour and then raised direct at 300 until internal temp of 170 degrees. I would either put on a rub or marinate in Italian dressing. Good luck
    Greensboro, NC
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Here I thought another bourbon thread...good luck with the cook!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Here I thought another bourbon thread...good luck with the cook!
    @lousubcap I'm right there with you buddy.  Birds of a feather!!
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    I haven't brined anything so no help from me there, but when I did ribs last time I threw on a turkey breast towards the end of my cook and it came out great. Ribs and Turkey Breast Dizzy Pig Style 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • tamu2009
    tamu2009 Posts: 387
    Options
    I'd say brine it, then throw it away and go buy a farm raised turkey.

Just kidding, but in all my years of eating wild turkey, the only way I've enjoyed it is cut into strips and chicken fried.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I almost just killed a wild turkey with my truck 30 minutes ago. Many moons ago I killed a lot of Wild Turkey by the bottle!

I have never cared for the taste of a wild turkey. I prefer a farm raised turkey myself, but I may have never had one cooked the right way. 

Congrats to your nephew on the kill. I like your avatar. Go Dawgs!!!!!!!!

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • fairchase
    fairchase Posts: 312
    Options
     Marinate in zesty Italian dressing 6-8 hours if possible overnight is better.
    350-400 indirect till IT of 170 and no more. Best turkey you will ever eat !!!
  • ugabulldog56
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I was able to marinate for about 4 hrs before i had to put it on.  It turned out pretty well but i think it would have been better around 160-165 internal.  At 170, the meat was just slightly dry(not bad though).  Overall with it being a really fast cook(my brother just showed up at my house with a dead turkey!  lol), i think it turned out well.  thanks for you help everyone!!!
  • fairchase
    fairchase Posts: 312
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Marinated in buttermilk for 12 hrs or so, battered (I like Louisiana chicken fry) ,and fried in a cast iron skillet is great also.
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    It looked good.

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Couldn't ahve helped you with the cook of the wild turkey had I seen it in time, but that is awesome that that young man was able to bring one down. Very cool. I would think 170 would have been a little high.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• ugabulldog56
    Options
    @Griffin, what do you think a good internal would be?
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Normally for chicken or turkey, I shoot for 165 in the breast. Depending on how hot I'm cooking it, I'll pull at 160 (maybe 155) and let it rest. It will carryover to 165 as it rests.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• ugabulldog56
    Options
    Thanks Griffin.  I'll do that on the next one.  
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    I applaud your example. Anybody with a few bucks can buy food at the supermarket, but never learn how to live off the land.
    Gittin' there...
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    Options
    I agree with @Griffin -- congratulations to the young man who took the turkey and with @FearlessTheEggNoob - it is really important to understand and appreciate where our food comes from.  

Brining is great for wild game.  It adds moisture to often lean meat and also mellows the flavor.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Congratulations to the young hunter!  It makes me smile every time I see a kid get involved in the sport of hunting.  IMO there would be a lot less trouble with kids if more people took the time to get them involved.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    Good stuff
    Boom
  • ugabulldog56
    edited April 2013
    Options
  • canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    edited April 2013
    Options
  • HogHeaven
    HogHeaven Posts: 326
    Options
    My nephew killed a turkey this morning and we just breasted him out.  Any recommendations on an indirect time and temp?  Im doing the ribs also around 250-275.  Should I put the turkey on after the ribs and raise the temp?

I attached a pic of the meat just to show the size of the turkey.  Thanks for the help!!!

r When I cook something on my BGE that I'm not familiar with... I google recipes for it and i cook it at sthe same temp that is recommended for indoor ovens. It always works fine. Now... About if to brine or not. How to brine and for how long. Exactly how to mix your brine, the best site for detailed information backed up by science lots of time is... Amazingribs.com. Tell Meathead I sent you.