Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork...got it just right

Options
CPARKTX
CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
This time turned out just perfect. Put butt on straight out of refrigerator (plus some homemade rub) with lots of chunks and chips scattered around the lump. Egg ended up stabilizing around 300 dome. Had planned to go turbo, but cooked suprisingly quickly and didn't need to. Pulled off at 195 internal, FTC'ed for three hours, pulled, and served with lightly toasted buns and slaw. Easily my best pulled pork. Super moist and tender. I tried with and without BBQ sauce and prefer it plain.
LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  

Comments

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Outstanding!  Well done sir!  I prefer mine plain as well.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    It sure looks good, nice cook !
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    Options
    Awesome job! I find that we'll rested shoulders always seem to come out better. That may have helped you here. I like no less than 1.5 hrs.
  • Crispix49
    Crispix49 Posts: 191
    Options
    Nice work! I'm done doing butts at 225...300 is much better
    Atlanta suburbs
    Large & Mini owner
    UGA Alum - Go Dawgs!
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Looks great, I'm doing one on the small next Saturday for a buddies birthday. Always nice when I big meal turns out great!
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Excellent. I have found that FTC for at least two and up to four hours gives the best results. I also cook at 300 (last two or three butts) faster and results are very good. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Great job! I'm going to have to try one at 300. For me the worst part is pulling the butt while all you and your guests want to do is eat the thing, not pull it. I am curious how long it takes to pull it using those claws you have? I've seen them in stores and they look like they'd make quick work of things.

Jim
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    @jfm0830 - it was quick and easy to pull with the claws. This was my first ice using them and I was pleased. http://www.shopperschoice.com/item_item_2858698.html.
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    Options
    CPARKTX said:
    @jfm0830 - it was quick and easy to pull with the claws. This was my first ice using them and I was pleased. http://www.shopperschoice.com/item_item_2858698.html.
    How long did the job take? Thanks for the link. I think BGE has stared making a set of those too.
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • Solson005
    Options
    @jfm0830 I got a set for Christmas and used them a coupe weekends ago when my Small Egg goes to the lake it was much faster and the claws make it easy to lift the pork butt off the egg. It is probably ¼ of the time it takes using forks. 

I have seen this set at Ace Hardware
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Charlie tuna
    Options
    Another use that is just as handy is using these to remove meat from the grill.  Saturday i had a 14 pound turkey and it sure is nice to know you have full control when lifting it off the grill!!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I use gill gloves..
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    edited April 2013
    Options
    CPARKTX congrats well done. my family prefers it plain as well or with carolina red sauce .I think the BBQ sauce hides the flavor of the meat rather than enhancing it . in the wicked good bbq book there is  a really good spicy slaw that works well with pork also 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Forgive me for asking, but what does FTC mean? I am still a rookie!

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    foil towel cooler
    Options
    FTC = foiled and put in a cooler to rest. Usually wrapped in towels or even newspaper to help retain heat. 
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
  • Solson005
    Options
    @johnkitchens Foil Towel Cooler Naked Whiz has some good research for Cooler Holding Temperatures.  
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Thanks Guys! I knew it had something to do with the resting period, but I wasn't sure. I plan on trying one soon. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • CigarSmokinEgger
    Options
    Looks great!  I've been doing all my pulls with 2 large forks but I'll definitely be getting me a pair of the Wolverine Claws :)
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Other than brisket, I've never heard of any benefits to FTC other than keep the meat warm until ready to serve. If you finish cooking a but and you're ready to eat in 30 minutes, it's better to let it cool down on a rack for those 30 minutes before pulling it.  If it's 200F when you pull, all that steam you see coming off the pulled pork is moisture departing the meat.
    Options
    I cook my butts around a finish schedule that includes "at least" a one hour rest in a cooler.  This works for me because i have done them both ways and i think it tastes better with the rest - like most foods.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    In general, meat that's cooked hot (direct) and fast to relatively low internal temperatures (steaks, tri-tip, london broil, etc) needs a rest after it's pulled because it continues to cook - the hot outside is still cooking the cool inside...there's plenty of juice that can soak back into the muscle. 

Low n low roasts, cooked hours and hours to high temperatures (well done 190-210) don't have any free water to "re-distribute".  They're ready to go once you pull them off.  If anything they benefit from cooling down before you cut or pull them.

Now some people swear resting brisket makes it better.  It might.  Whatever works for you, keep doing it.  Just like fat side up or down, I'd wager much of what works is habit or superstition.
    Options
    Looks terrific! My freezer is all out of pulled pork. Need to fix that soon. :)
  • Charlie tuna
    Options
    There is a quote on the first page of Myron Mixon's Cook Book that states "If you don't let the meat rest,it is not going to be worth a damn".  And, "Never skip this step, no matter how much of a hurry you may be into get your food on the table"... 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Options
    Options
    Meal of champions right there. Strong work! Looks like the bark was excellent as well. 
    bigphil said:
    CPARKTX congrats well done. my family prefers it plain as well or with carolina red sauce .I think the BBQ sauce hides the flavor of the meat rather than enhancing it . in the wicked good bbq book there is  a really good spicy slaw that works well with pork also 
    Is that recipe available somewhere? Spicy slaw sounds like something I would like.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • chris123stock
    Options
    Looks good, I do love a good butt, as for the Wolverine/meat claws those are really good.  Very nice cook. 
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    edited April 2013
    Options
    caliking said:
    Meal of champions right there. Strong work! Looks like the bark was excellent as well. 
    bigphil said:
    Is that recipe available somewhere? Spicy slaw sounds like something I would like.

here you go 
    1-cup - cayenne pepper sauce (franks red hot )
    1/2 - cup Worcestershire sauce 
    1/4 - cup cider vinegar 
    1/4 - cup packed brown sugar 
    2 - tablespoons of chilli powder 
    1 - head napa cabbage , thinly sliced 
    2 - carrots shredded 
    2 - tablespoons IQUE dry rub (i used dizzy swamp venom )
    i also used regular cabbage this stuff was to spicy for most so i added a few tablespoons of mayo and made it a creamy spicy slaw, surprisingly it turned out to be really good and was a great hit . i liked it as is but for the masses a touch of mayo was the trick  . let me know what you think if and when you make it 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • Solson005
    edited April 2013
    Options
    @caliking I made a Spocy Mexican Lime Slaw last week and it was really good! Just to give you another option.

http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2008/04/recipe-for-spicy-mexican-slaw-with-lime.html?m=1