Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can you cook bacon on the egg (newbie asks.)

Options
acegg77
acegg77 Posts: 120
Wife bought some Whole Foods apple-cured bacon for Easter Sunday breakfast. We only have bacon a few times a year (too much sodium) so it is a treat. Usually I cook it in my cast iron skillet on the stove. It smells up the house. I was wondering if it can be cooked outside in the Egg... and if so... how? Direct? Indirect? On foil? In a skillet? Or not at all?

Comments

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Options
    i do breakfast on the egg every weekend just because its fun . i use my cast iron pans direct right on the grid 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    As long as you have the tools to keep the grease from getting to the coals have at it.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • acegg77
    Options
    If I put the Lodge cast iron skillet on the grid, what temp should I set the egg to?
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    I have done thick bacon raised direct straight on the grid while doing burgers.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    You can cook bacon at any temperature.  Just get it started and make it hotter or cooler if it's cooking too slow or fast for your style.  I frequently cook bacon on a rack on a cookie sheet in the oven at 275-300.  Cooking it slow cooks it more evenly.  Pan or rack. 
    edited March 2013
    Options
    On my late Weber gas grill I used to put bacon on some tin foil and cook it as hot as the Weber would get (which wasn't very!) Would that work with Egg... maybe at around 400?
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Sure...I'd do it indirect if you do it that way so you don't burn the grease.  Don't even think about cranking the egg wide open, you'll incinerate them in minutes (gets up to 1100 F).
    Options

I cook bacon on the BGE all the time - raised indirect with a platesetter (legs up).  I just put the bacon on the grate - not foil, no skillet, no anything.  There's a temperature gradient from the outer edges where the heat passes through the platesetter to the center of the grill where it is coolest so all the strips don't cook exactly evenly and you may need to do some rearranging when you flip it, but it comes out great.  If you stay somewhere around 350 it will cook fast enough to require relatively close attention and not test your patience, but slow enough to not get out of control and burn the bacon, but anywhere between 300 and 400 seems to work pretty well.  The only real bad issue I've had is a grease fire from bacon grease build-up on the platesetter one morning when I cooked multiple rounds of bacon because we were having company.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    No you can't do bacon. You must do pig candy!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    300 dome, raised direct with the griddle.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    We do bacon all the time on the egg, keeps from stinking up the house.

Gerhard
  • Todd0131
    Todd0131 Posts: 4
    Options
    I make up a small "pan" from heavy duty foil and pile the bacon in there. It cooks in its own fat and turns out pretty yummy
  • acegg77
    Options
    Todd0131 said:
    I make up a small "pan" from heavy duty foil and pile the bacon in there. It cooks in its own fat and turns out pretty yummy
    Do you put the foil "pan" directly on the grid over the fire or on the grid on top of the plate setter (indirect) legs up? What temp? How long does it take? This is how I used to do it on my gas grill... came out same as on top of stove but wife loved not having house smell like bacon for 2 days! (What smells better than bacon? Wives are weird!)
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Can you? no, you have to.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Todd0131
    Todd0131 Posts: 4
    Options
    Directly on the grill. I usually do it when it's heating up to cook something else. After it sweats out the water from the bacon and the grease comes out it prob takes 5-7 min of cooking. About 10-15 in all.