Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Science says we win! (Shot of BGE I think)

Options

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    You think gas is better?

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    That tells me what I have always thought...... Don't grill indirect...............
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    Are those briquettes in that egg?
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    What a CROCK OF POOP!!  If gas and charcoal were the same, then indirect cooking, where there are little if any drippings on the hot fire would taste the same as a gas oven.  They, sir whatever-your-name-is-doing-the-video, DO NOT. 

That delicious smelling black smoke on a freshly loaded egg is like incense of the gods.  Does your oven smell like that?!  HELL NO.  Because it's a completely different type of chemistry going on.

Just my $0.02.  :D
    Options
    jlsm said:

Are those briquettes in that egg?

Wondered same thing
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    Most impressive part is that they at least mentioned lump ha. And video of the flare up was cool
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options

What a CROCK OF POOP!!  If gas and charcoal were the same, then indirect cooking, where there are little if any drippings on the hot fire would taste the same as a gas oven.  They, sir whatever-your-name-is-doing-the-video, DO NOT. 

That delicious smelling black smoke on a freshly loaded egg is like incense of the gods.  Does your oven smell like that?!  HELL NO.  Because it's a completely different type of chemistry going on.

Just my $0.02.  :D

That did seem flawed.
    Boom
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I gotta give it that.  Lump (and the briquettes they used) are loaded with nitrates, phosphorus, potasium, all kinds of hydrocarbons.  To compare with the taste from methane, butane or propane grills is lunacy.
    That's it. I'm going back to gas and lava rocks. I knew my dad had it right in '73.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    CT - just fill your egg with lava rocks and use Mickey's roofing torch to fire it up.  :D  You might be one to something - assuming you're gonna use the egg shell with the lava rocks...