Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st brisket with pics. I'll take it!

I just finished my first brisket. 16# untrimmed, choice packer. I put it on last night around 6:30 in the evening. I went indirect, legs up, Hickory chunk (against recommendations but it was what I had), between 205-225 for a little over 12 hours until internal hit 195. I was shooting for 200 but fire went out so I called it good. FTC for 3 hours then served lunch. I could definitely stand some improvement on my carving skills but I was very pleased with the tenderness. It wasn't dried out at all. I suppose I should chalk it up to beginners luck but I am pleased with my first attempt and now anxious to try again. That is by far the most nervous/intimidated for a cook I have been yet. Very fun! I love the Egg!!

Any advice for future cooks much appreciated!
LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
Columbus IN

Comments

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    Sure looks good. I haven't done a brisket yet but I see one in my near future.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191

That looks good, plenty of moisture too!  Why do you think you ran out of lump??? 

PS: You need to put a few layers of foil around your probe cables -- all that cable that is inside the egg.  That area directly exposed to the lump below can far exceed the temperature rating of the probe cables.  Also route your cables over that area directly about the PS leg for even more protection.  And this foil will last for months, it is cheap compared to buying new probes..

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Nice Job! Cen-Tex will want to know how you got a smoke ring on your first Brisket... ^:)^

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • @Charlie thanks for the advice. I will wrap probes from here on out.

I really don't know why it burnt out. I just did a clean burn before this cook and filled with new lump. There was a little around the outer edge that never burned but that was definitely disappointing after reading some of the 16 and 20 hour cooks others have done. My vents were barely cracked and temp stayed low the whole time.

@JR - I used all the advice taken from Cen-Tex and the others to make sure I had it pretty cold when it started and smoking heavy!
    Columbus IN
  • That is one fine looking Brisket and now my wife want's me to do one, Good luck in the future

1 Large Big Green Egg
     1 Weber Kettle
     1 Weber Weber Smokey Mountain 18"
     1 Long Horn Off Set
     1 Bradley Smoker
     1 Weber Silver Gasser
     1 Weber Smokey Joe Small
     1 Orange Thermapen
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Your brisket looks very tasty. I haven't tried one yet. 

Why should you have not used hickory chunk? What should you have used?

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Nice work! Looks really good. Congrats

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448

Nice, hope my first packer comes out like that. I'm still jackin up flats.

• @John from reading yesterday, Oak is preferred for a brisket.

Thanks all! I attribute any successes on the Egg to this forum and the knowledge I have gained from everyone's posts.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1149786/the-great-brisket-controversy#latest
    Columbus IN
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    That does look good
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited March 2013
    It's not that you shouldn't use Hickory. it's fine. It's just oak on brisket is money. I've used mesquite, pecan, hickory and others but oak is where it's at. It actually makes a huge difference. Oak has a "vanilla" or "butter" quality to it (think oaked wines and bourbons) that really comes through in beef. I would cook one with whatever I had if I didn't have oak...............but I always have oak 

:D
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    I have never cooked with Oak. Now I know!

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    Love oak, puts off a great smoke.
  • I will definitely be adding oak to the arsenal next trip to the store.
    Columbus IN
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    EggHeadinFlorida Posts: 892
    edited March 2013
    I cooked my first Brisket yesterday. It was only 2 lbs. Im proud to say that it tasted like sh*t! I cooked indirect heat at 250deg, after 5 hours, the internal temp was only 149deg, then the temp came down to 140deg. Grill was still holding at 250deg +/-.. So I had to take it off indirect heat, and place it on direct heat at 300deg for about 30-45min. The temp went up to 180deg. I took it off, and wrapped it in alum foil. After about 20min or so, I went to cut it and upon eating it, I had to spit it out. Needless to say I am a little more cautious on following a reciepe.. But your Brisket looks 100000 better than mine did :)
    XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.