Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any great Meatball recipes?

Ask swmbo everyday what she wants for dinner.  I always end up choosing.

Today she definitively said "Meatballs!".

Have never actually made them myself as they are in the 'boring' category for me.  But I want to give it a go!

What do ya got?
Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Are you looking for a basic meatball made with beef or something exotic? Meatballs are made in some form or other around the world and can be made with beef, beef/pork/veal mixture, chicken or turkey as well as others with all kinds of flavors from Asian, Greek, Middle Eastern to Mexico and South America.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Be sure to make some moinkballs as an appetizer!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    I think I am looking for a standard italian meatball but with more than just ground beef.  Lots of recipes on interweb but nothing jumping at me as special.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Here is my Sicilian friends family recipe.  They are very good.

Five or six slices of white bread (crusts sliced off and discarded) in a bowl. Add enough whole milk to thoroughly soak them, but no more. Let them sit soaking for ten minutes. Pour off any excess milk. Squish bread up with your hands. Add three eggs, five or six medium cloves of garlic that you've passed through a garlic press, a half cup of freshly chopped Italian parsley, salt and pepper enough to season. Thoroughly mix it up till its a smooth mix. Now add even amounts of ground pork, veal, and beef, about a pound each. Thoroughly mix together till it's a smooth mixture. Heat oil in large frying pan to low medium heat. I use EVOO. 

Now take an INOX ice cream scoop (mine's size 18/8) and scoop up enough of the mixture to fill it and then a little more. Pat it down a little. Release it into the oil. Repeat till the pan is full of them, leaving a little space between all meatballs. Fry on low medium heat till well browned, then turn them over and repeat (metal tongs are good for this). Do this till well browned on most of the surfaces. Remove to paper towel to soak up excess oil. Serve.

PS have a glass of water nearby to dip the scoop into periodically to rinse and lubricate it so the meatballs slip out easily into the pan. 

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • alphacentauri
    alphacentauri Posts: 54
    edited March 2013
    i dont measure, haha. so im sure someone else will come along with a more detailed log, but i say just go for it if your comfortable in the kitchen.  

but i do mix equal amounts ground pork, ground veal, and ground beef . add chopped parsley, fresh minced garlic, minced onion, bread crumbs, freshly grated parmesan(not some kraft crap), couple eggs.

fry those suckers up to get brown on all sides then into "gravy" to sit for 3-4 hours till the whole thing is done. others like to just bake them after browning, but i like them stewing in the sauce all day. 

you dont have to but i make my own sauce from about 5lbs roma tomatoes, 1 bottle of wine, 3-4 garlic cloves, and about 3 hours later its ready for meatballs to swim in. 
  • rtt121
    edited March 2013
    Thanks @bowhunr and @alphacentauri ! I think ill combine those two.
  • good idea, thats usually how i get things done. 

when you make the mix fry up a small one that you can taste to see how the seasoning is. you can always alter then. and you can make them so many different ways no way is right or wrong. 
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I use dehydrated onion flakes as a binder for burgers, meatloaf and meatballs. They suck up the fat and expand during the cook. Plus 1 on beef, pork and veal, or even pork and veal

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    on the aol news today they have cheeseits in the meatballs instead of breadcrumbs, dont know if its a lack of carbs in my diet but it may just be my next meatball cook
    :D
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited March 2013
    I do Italian meatballs similar to @alphacentauri only difference is 50/50 ground veal/pork and add 2 TBLS of basil and 1 TBLS oregano per lb of meat, and heavy on the chopped garlic and some lawrys seasoned salt and cracked pepper to taste and don't forget the bread crumbs, eggs, onions and fresh grated parmesan cheese.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited March 2013
    I use dehydrated onion flakes as a binder for burgers, meatloaf and meatballs. They suck up the fat and expand during the cook. Plus 1 on beef, pork and veal, or even pork and veal
    I wonder if mixing dehydrated onions with melted butter and using that as a crumb topping would work on the likes of Mac & cheese or such.

What do you think, Monsieur Étienne?
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I like it....but is it art?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• BOWHUNR said:

Five or six slices of white bread (crusts sliced off and discarded) in a bowl. Add enough whole milk to thoroughly soak them, but no more. Let them sit soaking for ten minutes. Pour off any excess milk. Squish bread up with your hands. Add three eggs, five or six medium cloves of garlic that you've passed through a garlic press, a half cup of freshly chopped Italian parsley, salt and pepper enough to season. Thoroughly mix it up till its a smooth mix. Now add even amounts of ground pork, veal, and beef, about a pound each. Thoroughly mix together till it's a smooth mixture. Heat oil in large frying pan to low medium heat. I use EVOO. 

Now take an INOX ice cream scoop (mine's size 18/8) and scoop up enough of the mixture to fill it and then a little more. Pat it down a little. Release it into the oil. Repeat till the pan is full of them, leaving a little space between all meatballs. Fry on low medium heat till well browned, then turn them over and repeat (metal tongs are good for this). Do this till well browned on most of the surfaces. Remove to paper towel to soak up excess oil. Serve.

PS have a glass of water nearby to dip the scoop into periodically to rinse and lubricate it so the meatballs slip out easily into the pan. 

Mike

This is my recipe almost exactly.  I also add a cup of parmigiano-reggiano freshly grated with a microplane to the mixture and make sure to use the highest fat percentage beef I can find.

I hand form them, fry in a cast iron skillet and then finish them in the oven.  The milk soaked white bread is the key.  It makes for the absolute best meatballs
    "America has only three cities: New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland." -Tennessee Williams
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Maybe not haute couture, but oeuf couture.. oui oui!
  • BOWHUNR said:

Mike

This is my recipe almost exactly.  I also add a cup of parmigiano-reggiano freshly grated with a microplane to the mixture and make sure to use the highest fat percentage beef I can find.

I hand form them, fry in a cast iron skillet and then finish them in the oven.  The milk soaked white bread is the key.  It makes for the absolute best meatballs
    Whoops, also noticed I use 1/4 high fat ground beef, 1/4 ground veal and 1/2 ground pork OR  1/2 pork and 1/2 veal.  Both ways come out awesome.

"America has only three cities: New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland." -Tennessee Williams
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I need to try the milk/bread thing as well. Thanks.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • rtt121
    Lots of great info.  I will let you know how it goes.
  • Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    I am just too lazy....the frozen meatballs from HEB (Italian or Homestyle) are good enough for me. It allows me more time for other parts of the dinner. Not saying they are as good as some of the homemade recipes.....

Springram
    LBGE and Mini
  • rtt121
    Seared them and they are in the crock pot with some really good local marinara to finish.

They are very easy.