Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need idiot's guide on making a raised grid

acegg77
acegg77 Posts: 120
edited March 2013 in EggHead Forum
OK. Have had my large egg for a week. I've read a million and one posts on how to cook chicken parts and they all say if you want the most flavor then cook it raised-direct. (I've cooked with plate setter and it was OK... but not outstanding.) I'm not very handy and am on a budget (after breaking the bank on the egg.. wife took away checkbook!) 

Can someone give me step by step instructions on what to buy, where to buy it, and how to put it together? From what I gather I can get an inexpensive grid at Lowes or Home Depot, but what size? I can get some bolts and nuts and washers... but don't quite understand how do to this so that the bolts will sit on the bottom grid. The Naked Wiz says to "flare" them out so they sit on the fire ring? (It would be great if someone had a YouTube video on this whole subject.)

Anyone have a simple, step by step method to on how to get/make a raised grid without spending $40?

Thanks.

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    carriage bolts work well and will sit on the bottom grate. I used 4 1/2 inch and they're adjustable. bought a Weber grid... the smaller one.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • henapple
    oh, I went from 4 to 3 bolts... less chance of getting in the way.
  • rontho
    rontho Posts: 109
    Buy a grid from academy for $10 then drink 3 beers and use the empty cans to raise the grid.
    I second that....works great
  • acegg77
    edited March 2013
    I think I found it. Is this what you mean:

Does not look very sturdy but if it works for others I'm sure it will work for me. 

You say I should use 3 and not 4 bolts?
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    I cut 3, 3" pieces of square tubing and can sit them on the upper ring to raise the grid
    I can lay them on their sides to raise 1 inch or stand on end to raise the 3 inches
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • ddegger
    ddegger Posts: 244
    Might be more than you want to spend,  but I'll put in a plug for the BGE stainless steel raised grid. It's only 25 $, so not much more than a new grid plus hardware,  and it clips to the original grid for stability. In addition, the sides fold up,  so you can access the bottom grid. I put chicken on the raised grid and I raised one side and slid  a drip pan with potato and mushrooms underneath about half way through. Also works great for pizza (PS, grid, raised grid, then stone)  
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    You can take three bricks, set them up on the top of the fire ring and put the stock grate on top.
    You can take three bricks, set them up on the top of the fire ring and put the stock grate on top.
    How do you get the bricks to stay on the fire ring. It's just a thin edge. Won't they fall into the fire? I heard fire brick is hard to find. Plus wouldn't you have to break/cut the bricks? I don't know a hammer from a saw!! I can screw in a light bulb and that's it. If it breaks I hire someone to fix it. I'm not a Mr. Tool-man. Wish I was. Am a software engineer. No moving parts!!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731

If you are spending more than $10 then don't... start saving up for a swing grate from Ceramic Grill Works or an Adjustable Rig from Ceramic Grill Store.

The grid size for the large matches the grid for the Weber 18.5" kettle. Three carriage bolts will be more stable than using 4 bolts for the "legs". I use 2 bricks/pavers from Lowe's to raise the grid on my large egg and it works fine for me. Firebricks would probably be better, but so far the bricks have not exploded yet.

I bought the folding BGE second tier grid and returned it because I thought it was kinda useless. YMMV

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • nolaegghead

acegg77 said:
    How do you get the bricks to stay on the fire ring. It's just a thin edge. Won't they fall into the fire? I heard fire brick is hard to find. Plus wouldn't you have to break/cut the bricks? I don't know a hammer from a saw!! I can screw in a light bulb and that's it. If it breaks I hire someone to fix it. I'm not a Mr. Tool-man. Wish I was. Am a software engineer. No moving parts!!
    I do it all the time.  Cement bricks, cost like $0.75 each at home depot - they're thin ones.

I'll try to find a picture

edited March 2013
    I use two fire bricks -- about as cheap & easy as it gets.

Chicken Wings on The Big Green Egg
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • henapple
    @travisstrick ... he'll let you borrow a few from his salado pile
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    I saw in another thread someone wrap some pieces of wood (2*4) in tinfoil and it worked too.First time I heard of it...but apparently it worked well.

Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • acegg77
    I see how you did the bricks. I would have thought they would fall over... what a mess that would be! I wonder if they have these thin bricks at Lowes or Home Depot? Thanks for finding a pix.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734
    acegg77 said:
    I see how you did the bricks. I would have thought they would fall over... what a mess that would be! I wonder if they have these thin bricks at Lowes or Home Depot? Thanks for finding a pix.
    fireplace, woodstove dealers, masonary supply shops carry them, they are called fire brick splits.  at homedepot pick up a cheap weber replacement grill and put the bricks on that and get several bricks, placing a few flat down the middle gives you an inderect setup
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    edited March 2013
    I use two fire bricks -- about as cheap & easy as it gets.

I would say this would be really cheap.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    +1 on the bricks. I just took a regular clay brick and scored it with a hammer and chisel and made three fairly equal parts. Took 3 minutes and has been going strong for a few years. Put grid on top of the bricks and the grid is at feltline
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • nolaegghead
    edited March 2013
    I do the same thing as Kristi, same sized bricks, except I use 3.

You don't need firebricks.  The bricks don't get that hot.  My bricks are cement, no problems.
    edited March 2013

You don't need firebricks.  The bricks don't get that hot.  My bricks are cement, no problems.
    Wouldn't regular bricks give off some kind of fumes?
  • nolaegghead

acegg77 said:

Wouldn't regular bricks give off some kind of fumes?
    Nope.
    Here is a link that shows the method using bolts Naked Whiz How do I make a raised grid?

I use 3 bricks split in half to hold up my large. 3 works better than 4 if you can remember back to geometry 3 points define a plane and keep it from wobbling (i think I may have used 4 in this picture but my current method is just 3 points of contact) 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    acegg77, you can buy a box of 6 firebrick splits at Ace.  Made by Rutland.  Expensive, but a last resort.  No problem on fumes.  You saw my webpage on making legs.  It's pretty simple.  If the legs don't fit on the ring, you just bend them outward a little bit until they do.  Put the bolt in a vice to do this, and then put them back on the grid.
    The Naked Whiz
  • nolaegghead
    alphacentari used pine 2x4's covered with foil here http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1149829/ghetto-raised-direct-chicken-thighs#latest

Said the wood wasn't even charred.
    Thanks Whiz. 

Vice? I had to laugh. The only vice I have around here is two Martinis before dinner! 

This may help you understand my problem with tools.

When I was a boy most of the kids on my block got power tools and sporting equipment for Christmas. Each year I would get a new briefcase and math text books! 

The handymen and repair guys in my area love me!! I have them on speed-dial! Over the years I'm sure I've but some of their kids through college!!! 

I've always admired guys (and gals!) who were handy with tools more complex than the blender on my bar. I've made a good living as a software engineer... I'm a "suit" who also programs computers... but truth be told I'd rather work a back-hoe!!

Thanks for all the help on this. 

• Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448

If you have a Spider, put your grid on top of the spider. Learned that from someone on here, I think VI. Works great.

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    savy,
    Of course, the drawback to that sort of approach is the need to have the first grid in place to use the second grid.
    The Naked Whiz
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    My lo-tech lo-cost solution was to put a grid on the fire ring, 2 regular bricks/pavers wrapped in foil (narrow long side down) then put the second grid on top of the bricks. For a raised indirect cook I place a foil-wrapped clay saucer (from HD/Lowes, the ones you place under planters) on the lower grid. I have extra grids from other Weber grills lying around, so it just cost me a few bucks for the bricks and the clay saucer.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.