Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Herb Infused Lamb Roast

FingerLicker
FingerLicker Posts: 13
edited April 2012 in Lamb

I was tired of roasts that come out great tasting on the outside where all the seasonings are but relatively bland on the inside. I wanted a lamb roast that was infused with herb flavor through and through. This came out awesome, with great herb flavor in every bite but still balanced with good lamb flavor. I kept the herbs very simple and went fairly heavy on the garlic because I love garlic, but the garlic flavor wasn't overwhelming by any means. Next time I might add a little black pepper too.

Ingredients

Boneless lamb shoulder roast, about 2.5 lb

3 Tablespoons fresh rosemary, finely chopped

3 Tablespoons fresh sage, finely chopped

6 cloves garlic, crushed

Salt to taste

Directions

Trim off the fat cap, separate the roast into the large muscles (about four pieces) and trim off most of the fat. Starting with a 2.6 lb roast I ended up with 1.75 lbs of lean meat. If yours is significantly different in weight adjust the seasoning quantities accordingly. Butterfly each piece and open it up, so the pieces are each less than 1/2 inch thick. 

Sprinkle half of each piece with the garlic and herbs, reserving about 2 Tablespoons of herbs and about 2 cloves of garlic, and salt to taste. I used about 1 teaspoon of salt total and it could have stood more, but it's easy to salt afterward so don't overdo it.

Fold the pieces up like books and top with the remaining herbs and garlic, and a little more salt if you wish.

Now stack them on top of about 5 strings roughly 12 inches long, spaced about an inch apart.

Tie up the roast, tying the strings tightly. Then cover with plastic wrap and let it rest at room temperature for about an hour.

Light the egg and set up for indirect cooking with the platesetter legs-up and grate on top, with a drip pan under the grate. Stabilize at about 350 degrees and wait until the charcoal is burning cleanly. Bake about 50 minutes until the center of the roast reaches 125 degrees for medium-rare or 135 for medium. Remove to a plate and tent with foil, and cover with a towel. Let it rest 10 minutes before slicing and serving. This is how it looked medium rare; the camera made it look a bit redder than it actually was.

Comments