Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza with Rig Extender. Direct or indirect

I'm going to try my first pizza this week. I'm going to start with Trader Joes dough before I make my own. Going for hand tossed thickness.

I have a 16" pizza stone. An adjustable rig and rig extender. I've read many posts and trying to decide on temperature and direct/indirect. Any advice? I don't want to burn the family dinner. 450 to 500? Do I add my 13" stone on spider or 1st level of rig or just go direct?

Thanks in advance for this Pizza Noob.

Comments

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Good question id like some info on this as well as i'm skipping the plate-setter and getting a similar setup with the rig ext.Only issue is that the larger stone has to be on top  so you may need to use yer 16" inch stone as a indirect piece and the 13" as the pizza stone or just go direct on the ext with the 16"er.

Jamie.
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    I meant larger stone on bottom.

Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • Indirect then pizza stone up high
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • CenTez

Indirect then pizza stone up high

13" on spider? What temp indirect?
  • You can do 13 on the spider or I use the oval stone on the bottom of the rig and pizza stone up on the extender
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Thanks. Ill try indirect with 13" on spider. 450? 500? 550?
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Anywhere between 500 and 550 is good.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Doesn't have to be an exact dome temp. Just make sure you let the stone warm up in the egg at whatever temp it settles in on for 30 mins or so
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • @OSURanger - The University of Michigan has taught you fellas from Ohio about the game of football.  I don't feel like teaching you about pizza as well.  See you next fall! - Fred

Flint, Michigan
  • Fred

How has that worked out for you the last few years? :). I survived the Cooper era to see the Sweater Vest reign supreme over the team from up north. And now with the Urbanator in town, I expect it to be one sided for years to come.

Greatest rivalry in sports. One of my good buddies in Phoenix is a U of M grad.

Can't wait for fall! Go Bucks!!

@OSURanger - The University of Michigan has taught you fellas from Ohio about the game of football.  I don't feel like teaching you about pizza as well.  See you next fall! - Fred

• OSURanger said:
    Fred How has that worked out for you the last few years? :). I survived the Cooper era to see the Sweater Vest reign supreme over the team from up north. And now with the Urbanator in town, I expect it to be one sided for years to come. Greatest rivalry in sports. One of my good buddies in Phoenix is a U of M grad. Can't wait for fall! Go Bucks!!

@OSURanger - The University of Michigan has taught you fellas from Ohio about the game of football.  I don't feel like teaching you about pizza as well.  See you next fall! - Fred

We may have stumbled a bit lately, but I foresee a bright future.  Maybe you will have figured out decent pizza by then?  I feel bad for you so let me help.  Call Dominos...OOPS a Michigan company.  How about Little Caesars?  OOPS, another Michgan company.  Sorry, fresh out of ideas for you.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Fred

Good thing you have those pizza chains so your grads can get a job upon graduation. Go Bucks!

Ha!
    Matt
  • Nice sparring with you Matt. Welcome to the club here!
    Flint, Michigan
  • flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    I have done it both ways, direct and indirect. Recently I have been going direct and putting my pizza stone on the grill at felt height as well as on the extender. Both do fine. I don't notice a difference between direct and indirect. I do dome temp 500-600
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120