Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meet the new addition!

Options
CPARKTX
CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
Pulled the trigger and got a small from someone on Craigslist. Can't wait to take it camping with us next weekend.

Needs a new gasket...any advice? Assuming Nomex is the way to go?
LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
    edited March 2013
    Options
    nomex is fine. I still burned mine off my large (upper) but I was wokking. I just have it on the bottom nowand its perfect. So, save you some money and put nomex on the bottom only and save the other half for when/if you need it on either one of your eggs down the road.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Thats great! You are going to love traveling with your small! 

I just changed mine a few weeks ago and this is the one BGE sent me with my warranty it is the self adhesive high temp BGE one and I'm pretty happy with it. 

Here is my post when I changed mine of course you don't have to take the dome off but I had my hinge installed upsidedown from the dealer and wanted to flip it. New handle and gasket change for the Small BGE 

I put the nomex you need to have spray adhesive with on my large and it has held up well. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    You are going to love it!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options

Is this your only egg or is it an addition to another? The small egg is very versatile, IMHO. You can really turn out some serious stuff with it and I for one am very happy I got it.

I too found mine, very sparingly used, on CL. Got to keep an eye out. :)

Anyway, congrats. And a voyage to begin.

Advise: get the woo and indirect setup from Tom. @Ceramic Grill store.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• CPARKTX
    Options
    @Aviator - I have a Large too that I've had about a year.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Used my Small for years w/o a gasket.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    There's a small nest for sale on CL too.
    Gittin' there...
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Congrats on the addition!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    I am sooooo jealous. Congrats!

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    Welcome to the large/small club! It's a great combo an a blast to cook on!

XLBGE 
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options
    Thanks CPARKTX, welcome to the club.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Congrats you are going to enjoy cooking on the small.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I replaced the gaskets on mine with High Temp Silicon seal. Scrape the old gasket off, use acetone or another solvent to degrease. Apply the gasket material to the bottom edge. Cover with plastic wrap and close the lid. When the gasket sets up you are good to go.  
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    You will love it camping. Are you getting  the Egg Carten also?

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    You lucky dog you - 1. You get another egg  2. You find a good one on CL.

You're gonna have fun with it!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • CPARKTX
    Options
    @RAC -- Yes, I placed my order today in fact.  Do you have the Carten?  If so, do you set your egg directly in the Carten or use feed or any other type of insulation?  
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    I have the eggCarten for my small and I don't put anything under the egg. But check out @Mickey 's post Egg Carten help please he bought a silicone mat to have some insulation to keep his table from getting too hot. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options

I use no insulation and no problem with heat. This is what I use for camping and at home.

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    You are going to love it!

+1 it is an awesome addition to your camping equipment. It is such a kick, sitting back in your lawn chair relaxing and watch the egg work. Sometimes we eat better camping than we do at home.

;)
    Large, small, and a mini