Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Long time owner, First time caller - Ribs

Options
wmrrock
wmrrock Posts: 30
I have had my BGE for about 1 year.  Multiple briskets and butts, but this is my first time with ribs.  Many different opinions out there and I am going to try the 2-2-1 method.  250 temp and I am using a a rack that holds the ribs horizontally over the drip pan.  Any further suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    looks good to me. Welcome aboard

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Alton
    Alton Posts: 509
    Options
    When I foil I usually spray some apple juce/ apple cider vinegar inside the pouches
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
  • BryanLyle
    BryanLyle Posts: 40
    Options
    I did some last week with the 2-2-1 method and they turned out great.  With the Guru going - sit back and relax.  Let the egg do the work.

1 - Foil individually and not together in a pan.
    2 - Add a little apple juice / apple cider vinegar.
  • GreenhawK
    GreenhawK Posts: 398
    Options
    I never wrap mine.  I just let the St. Louis Spares cook for the 5 to 7 hours until done.  The only time that I wrap them is after they are done.

No need to do all of these steps
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    being a newbie I like to split my rib slabs in half and try different things. try a brown sugar and honey rub in the foil.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Boileregger
    Boileregger Posts: 614
    Options
    I like 3-1-1 method. 2 hours in foil leaves the ribs too soft IMO. I like then tender, but leaves a bite mark when you pull away rather then all the meat falling off.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,346
    Options
    As you can tell-take a shot-remember how it went-then change it up (one variable at a time) and go again. With the BGE there are about as many ways to cook something as there are posters here.  You can make it better but your worst cook will be great.  Welcome and enjoy the journey!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    no wrap, no spray, no juice, no nada. Rub and smoke for me.I'm definitely not the best rib guy though. I'm OK but every once in a while when I hit a home run, I can tell I've got some room to grow when it comes to ribs.

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options

Like others have said. I make ribs on a regular basis and will be on tomoro.

I add 50-50 mix of apple cider and apple j and drizzle honey before tightening up the wrap. Little bit goes a long way and it makes it really fall off the bone if you are looking for it.

Tried commando turbo versions and me and family did not care for it.

Make sure the meat pulls off the bone a bit in the ends.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options

no wrap, no spray, no juice, no nada. Rub and smoke for me.I'm definitely not the best rib guy though. I'm OK but every once in a while when I hit a home run, I can tell I've got some room to grow when it comes to ribs.

I used to be a just leave it alone guy and had consistent but not outstanding ribs. Started up o here and tried foiling, after burning myself and my table I had mushy ribs. Went back to leave it alone but spritzing during the last 2 hours about every 20-30 minutes with either pineapple juice or apple cider vinegar. I think the acidity of these helps tenderize and Sugars carmelize to create more "bark" on the ribs.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    @U, I am the same. I go 4-0-1 or so. No foil. The middle hour I spritz really well every twenty minutes. Great results so haven't varied from it. Doing a rack of BBs tomorrow
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • wmrrock
    Options
    The ribs were great - perhaps a little over done.  They were not mushy, but falling apart while I was cutting them up.  My butcher told me they were very tender and I should have cut the time back by about 45 minutes.  Still amazing and people wanted more.  Thanks for all the advice.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    U_tarded said:

I used to be a just leave it alone guy and had consistent but not outstanding ribs. Started up o here and tried foiling, after burning myself and my table I had mushy ribs. Went back to leave it alone but spritzing during the last 2 hours about every 20-30 minutes with either pineapple juice or apple cider vinegar. I think the acidity of these helps tenderize and Sugars carmelize to create more "bark" on the ribs.
    I think it's a TX thing but I despise sweet Q. When someone tells me they put apple juice on BBQ it makes my skin crawl. I know it's me but I just can't get past it. Vinegar, maybe. But I would rather eat something else than BBQ spritzed with or rested in apple juice. And yes, I've had it several times at good cook offs etc. One bite and I'm out.

I'm sure some of you guys are out there doing apple juice Q that would blow my mind. I would love to try it. I just have not had it yet.

I hate sweet sauce too. Blues hog is like eating a candy bar to me. Nasty (I have 99/100ths of a jar left if anyone wants it).

• Dan4BBQ
    Dan4BBQ Posts: 271
    Options
    I used 3-2-1 today. 2 hours foiled with a bit of apple juice the back on for the sauce.

My group of 10 loved them---I also made 2 spatchcock chickens.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    alright, against every fiber in my being, I'll try a spritz of cider vinegar next time. I'll never wrap!

%-(
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    I do cider vinegar too. Although I also wrap.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Options
    I used to foil but find there is no need on the egg. I did 3 racks today 4 hours at 300 Dome. Had a few friends over and they all said they were the best they'd ever had. I thought they were great.
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • U_tarded
    Options
    alright, against every fiber in my being, I'll try a spritz of cider vinegar next time. I'll never wrap!

%-(
    i hate sweet q too. spicy is my thing and salty. something about either citrus or vinegar work wonders on ribs though.  
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    U_tarded said:

%-(
    i hate sweet q too. spicy is my thing and salty. something about either citrus or vinegar work wonders on ribs though.  

- ok- Im in. I'll give it a try
  • U_tarded
    Options
    U_tarded said:

%-(

- ok- Im in. I'll give it a try
    ok just don't hold me personally accountable i can't deal with the pressure  :)>-
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    U_tarded said:
    U_tarded said:

%-(

- I'm gonna come at you like a spider monkey ok- Im in. I'll give it a try
    ok just don't hold me personally accountable i can't deal with the pressure  :)>-

• U_tarded
    Options
    U_tarded said:
    U_tarded said:

%-(

ok good just a word for the wise i'm all hyped up on mountain dew (spiked with southern comfort of course)

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    i don't know how that quote got so jacked up but you got the drift. I'm all good. i love trying new things so this will give me an excuse to get mad at some ribs soon.
  • wmrrock
    Options
    So, just to recap: Cen-Tex Smoker is going to get mad at some ribs. U tarded is jacked up on Mountain Dew spiked with southern comfort.  The great debate about wrapping vs. not-wrapping still rages on. Cen-Tex will try a spritz of vinegar cider. U tarded hates sweet q and everyone agrees that ribs are great. In conclusion:  Next time - I am not going to foil, I am going to spritz with cider vinegar and we didn't even get into rubs.  Thanks for all the help - it has been a fun experience and I really did learn a lot.  
    U_tarded said:
    U_tarded said:
    U_tarded said:

%-(

ok good just a word for the wise i'm all hyped up on mountain dew (spiked with southern comfort of course)

• egginator
    egginator Posts: 569
    Options
    Here is a link to the very popular Car Wash Mike's way of cooking ribs on the egg.

• U_tarded
    Options
    man rubs are their own debate.  there are millions of threads on it on here.  people rage about dizzy pig, i like john henry texas pig rub on ribs personally (readily available here) or butt rub.
  • wmrrock
    Options
    U_tarded said:
    man rubs are their own debate.  there are millions of threads on it on here.  people rage about dizzy pig, i like john henry texas pig rub on ribs personally (readily available here) or butt rub.
    For me - One part sweet HUNGARIAN paprika, 1 part hot HUNGARIAN paprika, 1 part brown sugar, 1 part kosher salt, 1/2 part cayenne pepper, 1/2 freshly ground black pepper.  Mix well and rub.  Very simple always awesome rub.