Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Easter lunch suggestions?

I have been charged with cooking Easter lunch next week. I want to show off the BGEs skills. I was thinking either pulled beef or pit beef. It would likely be cooked the day before and then reheated in the oven on Sunday before lunch. Any suggestions on reheating time and temp, method? Which tastes better the port or pulled beef? I want to be a rock star with this one.

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    NAKED HAM / SMOKE ONLY
    Let me start that for the past 6 years i have only cooked Egerts Ham (this is an outstanding ham Egged on the BGE).
    A short while ago went looking for (did not know this at the time) a naked ham / smoke only. Looking at other ways to do a ham w/o the burbon, maple syrup, brown sugar, NO ANYTHING. Guys this was outstanding ham. It tasted like ham. It was a 7 lb Cooks ham (shank) and NOTHING was put on it (Nothing). Just smoke: both lots of pecan and cherry chunks. Cooked at 300 till 145. I did score the ham deep. Cooked indirect.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    What @mickey said. This is how I normally do hams. I always buy shank portion ham, never the pre-sliced or spiral cut. If you want your ham to taste like ham, this is the way to go. And makes for some killer fried ham sammiches the day after.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• rholt
    rholt Posts: 392
    While I appreciate the ham suggestion several members of my family don't eat pork so I am trying to get everyone included with one meal. Thanks.
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    I would say pit beef has more of a wow factor.

I did one similar to the one @Griffin posted Baltimore Pit Beef here is a more in-depth write up on his blog Griffin's Grub

I think slicing it as thin as you can is key, I use a electric knife and have had good results. I didn't reheat it for a meal just sandwiches for lunch so I don't really have a tip for you there. 

Pulled beef is good too and i'm sure nobody would be disappointed if you went that route. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292
    I would do some type of lamb for easter.  You could do shanks, leg of lamb, rack of lamb, or lamb shoulder.
  • rholt
    If I did pulled beef( which is what my wife is wanting as the veggies in stout port are off putting to her) what would I use as sides? Go with pulled beef tacos or stick with a beef on a bun type deal with chips and such?
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Smoke some eggs as a side. Just put some eggs in their shell on the grate around 220 the shells turn a really cool color and the smoke actually penetrates it. I got rave comments on them from guests last year.
    Lynnwood WA
  • rholt
    My family doesn't drink. What kind of flavor does the beer impart to something like this? Thanks for all the replies.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    double said:
    Smoke some eggs as a side. Just put some eggs in their shell on the grate around 220 the shells turn a really cool color and the smoke actually penetrates it. I got rave comments on them from guests last year.
    What?  Have you ever done a write up on this?  I'd love to see it in action.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    rholt said:
    My family doesn't drink. What kind of flavor does the beer impart to something like this? Thanks for all the replies.
    Beer basically turns sweet when it is reduced. Nothing like the original flavour

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    If they don't eat pork, i would go to a few turkey breasts -- injected with bitter orange or strained Italian salad dressing--- being injected i finish them at 180 degrees internal..
  • Eggucator
    Eggucator Posts: 226
    Little Steven nailed it. No beer taste at all after reducing.  
    LBGE
    Zionsville, IN
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    thetrim said:

double said:

What?  Have you ever done a write up on this?  I'd love to see it in action.

I thought I had but couldn't find it I will try and do some this weekend and post about it.

Lynnwood WA
  • rholt
    Thanks for all the replies. I will mull over the turkey breast ideas.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited March 2013
    You can do a spatchcocked turkey 13 lb in about 75 min. Add several legs for extras. image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• rholt
    Mickey said:

You can do a spatchcocked turkey 13 lb in about 75 min. Add several legs for extras.

Mickey. That turkey looks wonderful. Did you inject it? Raised direct? 375?
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    brisket? no pork or beer? I guess I'd get kicked out of the family... oh wait, that's happened before.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • rholt
    Not opposed to beer or pork but I don't like the taste of beer and my dad doesn't eat pork...everyone else does though. I haven't done a brisket ever and would hate to have to end up ordering pizza for lunch.
  • rholt
    ...if I messed up the brisket...
  • Eggucated
    Eggucated Posts: 213
    The Spatchcock Turkey is a killer idea. It also has a very high wow factor!
    Thanks, Mike "Live in such a way that if anyone should speak badly of you, no one will believe it."
  • rholt
    Well it looks like the winner is pulled beef. Thanks to all for the suggestions. I will post with the final product.
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    The pulled beef is very good, makes great tacos or nachos but can also be made into sandwiches or serves on black beans and rice
    Takes about 7 hours but I think your family will enjoy!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • rholt
    I plan on skipping the bbq sauce phase on clays site an using beef broth instead of water and maple syrup. Hoping that works out well. Plan on using them in tacos/burritos.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I just picked up a 14 pound turkey today --  i'm going to inject and spatchcock it !