Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New toy - Maverick 732

Options
I just got me the Maverick 732 wireless BBQ Thermometer Set.  I know their are lots of experts out there.  Any comments about the device?  It has a probe for the meat and the grill.  I read the directions and it seems easy to work.  

Comments

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    While you have the manual out, check the temperature rating of the probes??   Thanks 
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    While you have the manual out, check the temperature rating of the probes??   Thanks 

Good idea.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• cbr0011
    cbr0011 Posts: 93
    Options
    The Barbecue Thermometer registers temperatures as low as 32 and as high as 572.  I don't see any rating for the food probe.
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Just got this weeks ago... Anything less than 525 grid should be fine. Have fun and don't worry so much...
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Make sure you keep the probes protected from the heat(place them along the plate setter legs or use a heat deflector like HDAF)

I received mine a few weeks ago and did a pork butt as a first cook with it. The dome read 250, Thermapen 227, ET732 434???!!! This was five hours in after the Maverick was steady at 226-227 for the first part. Then it started ramping up. I found out that the grid probe cable had shifted and the hotter air moving up around the plate setter was causing the temp increase. All was good in the hood after I moved it to the middle of the grid.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Suggest you foil the probe cable junction, protects from heat and moisture intrusion. Never position over direct burning lump - which really means do not use for direct cooks - rely on the dome thermo for those and pizza oven temps. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • cbr0011
    cbr0011 Posts: 93
    Options
    Good stuff, thanks Eggers.
  • Denevan
    Denevan Posts: 24
    Options
    I never cover mine and I have never had an issue. Then again I do not use it for high temp cooks -- only for slow and low with my Auber Instrument PID controller (yea it is kinda cheating I know) ). I wanted to make the cable longer so wrote customer service and asked if it was possible to splice the cable - cutting the cable was nearly impossible (unfortunately so was re-attaching it). My idea failed horribly so I wrote back to customer service and the sent me new probes for free.  Really good customer service...
  • Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    Options
    Dont know what I ever did without mine
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Listen to Skiddymarker he speaks the truth. I fried mine on the second cook now they are wrapped in multiple layers of foils with no problems

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Denevan
    Denevan Posts: 24
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Might wrap mine just because...
  • chris123stock
    Options
    I just make sure the wires go over the platesetter leg. Or you can wrap in foil. I have had mine for some time and never had a problem. 
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    I did a little test -- on an indirect cook --- i stuck the thernapen just inside the gasket on an area that it was not protected by the plate setter leg..  Couldn't pull it back fast enough -- try it sometime -- that temperature is very high while trying to maintain say 350 degrees it might be above 400 degrees..