Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Parrafin Fire Starters

Dyal_SC
Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
Where do y'all get the best deal for your fire starters?  I've used torches and the electric starter wand, but sometimes I like the convenience of the starter cubes.  My MIL got me some BGE brand fire starters for Christmas, but I've run out of them.  Those work great.  I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good way to get a bulk supply of them for cheap....they don't have to be BGE brand.  :)  Seems like I remember someone posting recently that they just got a good deal on Amazon...can't seem to find that particular post.  I've looked on Amazon and I found these RUTLAND SAFE LITE FIRE STARTERS.  Just wondering if you guys know the cheapest and best route to take.  TIA!

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    That's the cheapest ones that I've found @Dyal_SC just came today.  Haven't had a chance to light them and see if they work as good as the ones sold by BGE. I've been using the ones BGE sells or paper towel and oil since I got my large three and a half years ago. Really hoping the Rutland work as well as the BGE ones.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Dyal_SC
    Thanks for the info, Scott!  I may just order some BGE brand cubes and wait for your feedback about the Rutland starters then...  :D   I feel bad using you as a guinea pig, but I'll get over it.  ;)  hehe
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I got my first Rutlands about 3 cooks ago and they work just like the BGE brand or maybe just a touch better I think it was $10 ish for 144 cubes

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Dyal_SC
    Sweet....good to know, @Mattman3969.  I'll go ahead and order those then.  Thanks a lot!
  • Scottborasjr
    They look the same as the BGE ones, Just a little darker color. Wanted to cook tonight but took the wife out for her birthday for a late lunch and still just not hungry.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Dyal_SC
    Happy Birthday to Mrs. @Scottborasjr !!!  :)
  • Scottborasjr
    Thanks @Dyal_SC
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    I've found these work better than the fire starters. I use a plastic container and no rock. They seem to burn longer and hotter than the freshly oiled towels. http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1143722/napkin-and-oil-trick-was-messy#latest
    Interesting! Thx! I'll throw that together right now, Tj!
  • Scottborasjr
    edited March 2013
    Seriously @Tjcoley that works with a plastic container?
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    edited March 2013
    I like this: " 12 new from $10.09 1 used from $14.62".  I have some used lump that I would sell.   >:)

Seriously Rutlands are good starters.  Check your local hardware store too.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    I buy a fire log at the grocery store and break off a chunk of sawdust/paraffin about the same size as a BGE starters. I by two logs that last me several months of lighting my BGE's.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • PSHome
    PSHome Posts: 41
    Rutland fire starters from Tractor Supply.  Pack of 24 for $2 or 144 for $14.  Only available around here in the winter.  

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Seriously @Tjcoley that works with a plastic container?

Works great. Fake Tupperware type rectangular. Quarter folded paper towel fits perfect and holds almost a whole roll.
    I just took a whole bunch of thick napkins I had sitting in the pantry and tossed them in a ziplock bag with some veggie oil. I'll open the bag tomorrow or the next day to allow the oil to dry a bit before using. Thx for the heads up.
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Dyal,I take old cardboard egg cartons, fill with sawdust, melt paraffin pour on sawdust. When I use them I just tear a cube off and light. Works great and pretty cheap too.
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    hey @Dyal_SC didn't somebody on the BBQBibleForum used to make their own? I want to say I've seen somebody talk about making starters using lint from the dryer and candle wax, but what do i know?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Goose53
    Goose53 Posts: 11
    Weber FireStarters available at my local Home Depot and Lowes.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Dyal, Publix has those Parafin starter sticks if you need some in a hurry. There are 10 in a box, and I break each one into 4 pieces. So 40 pieces for $3 or so
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    I use the Rutlands ,they work great. I'll take a cube and score with my knife and break into 3 pieces. Makes a box of 144 last a long time !
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I use the Rutlands ,they work great. I'll take a cube and score with my knife and break into 3 pieces. Makes a box of 144 last a long time !

Chubbs said:
    Dyal, Publix has those Parafin starter sticks if you need some in a hurry. There are 10 in a box, and I break each one into 4 pieces. So 40 pieces for $3 or so

I do this with the BGE ones. I get the boxes for 5 or 6 bucks from my dealer and I cut each one into quarters. There are 24 in a box so it lasts nearly 3 months per box. I also use the Weber fire starters when given to me(my dad always grabs me one when he is getting them)
  • Scottborasjr
    @Dyal_SC well started my first fire with the Rutland starters.  Completely agree with what @Mattman3969 said. I didn't start with a really clean Egg, just dumped and lit. Went to do something else and had a good fire in less then 10 minutes, closed the dome and was already at 350* with the fire going, the starter was out as far as I could tell.  Now to get dinner on.
  • Mattman3969
    Glad it worked out for you Scott. At the price Rutland are I don't mind using 2 to start a fire!!

analyze adapt overcome

• Dyal_SC
    Earlier, I used one of the starter napkins I made last night. Worked like a champ, and it didn't even feel wet and oily. Pulled one out like a wet wipe, twisted it, tucked it under a few coals and lit it. Stayed lit for several minutes. Thanks for the tip @ Tjcoley! This will be my go-to method from now on.

• ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • Mattman3969
    That is the same Rutlands I just ordered off Amazon

analyze adapt overcome

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    edited March 2013
    The weber starters from Lowes are very cheap. Also, if you use your Lowes card you get an additional 5% off.

I don't know how you guys fit a whole roll of paper towels into a coffee container. I pulled my kcup out and couldn't even get one towel in. :P
    Mark Annville, PA
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Just stopped in at the local Ace Hdwe. and picked up a box of 144 Rutland fire starters for $13.99.  Also got a set of feet they had in the back room.  Had asked in the past, but the "Egg" guy isn't always around when I go in.  He still had a couple of sets stashed.  No more balled up tin foil for me.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa