Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Probe wire question!

Options
Ok hope you don't think this is a stupid question, but I got a very basic electronic meat thermometer with a probe you put in the meat with the wire that runs to the little dock thing.  My question is what good is it as a leave in thermometer if the silicone coated wire can only handle 390 degrees? Any suggestions?

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    It's good under the rated temp.  Most people smoke/roast under 390F.
    Options
    I guess that is the primary use of it anyway is for low and slow.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Yeah.  Use the dome for direct - it'll kill just about any probe.
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I haven't used these, and have no relationship with the company, but they seem like they would work better than wrapping in foil, as some do.  I'll probably try them if I melt my Maverick probe.

Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options

Before you buy a food monitor device, read the fine print, and the "Temperature Rating" of the probe will be listed.  This IS the limiting issue of this monitoring system.  You can somewhat protect the probes insulation by wrapping the probe wires in a few layers of foil.  this reflects the heat.  Also, keep the probe wires from DIRECT exposure to the heat from the lump by routing the probe cables over the top of that area diectly above the plate setter's foot!  A probe can cost as much as $26.00 plus shipping --  i found out the hard way!!!  And egg operators know how very easy it is for a probe cable to move a few inches while closing the dome!!!  

• six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    I found out that even with low and slows the probes can get really hot. I posted a picture of a low and slow I was doing and got comments about protecting my probes. Tjcoley told me about the site he posted here in my post.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• nolaegghead
    Options
    probe wires are often cased in braided stainless, but the insulation is usually silicone or glass cloth.
    Options

In my experience, if you use these devices for low & slows only, the probes last forever.  I bought a Maverick ET-73 almost 10 years ago and I'm still using the original probes (I've never foiled the probe wires either).
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• WiltOnTilt
    WiltOnTilt Posts: 102
    Options
    Uncalibrated dome led me to melt my probe wires, so just make sure your dome is right!
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Probes for temps under 400 and indirect only. Protect the cable with foil and mount it over a setter foot or if you use a rig, make sure the probe is well into the grill, over the stone, no direct exposure. 
    For direct cooks use the dome thermo. Life will be good. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    good advice, skiddymeistah