Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

#APL #Seriousbbq Todays Cook Bacon Wrapped Boneless Skinless Turkey Breast

Boned & skinned a turkey breast last night,  then let sit in a brine overnight. This am let bathe in a vinaigrette for 3 hors then coated in Swamp Venom & placed on Egg @250, After 1 hour will wrap in bacon. Then glaze with a honey vinegar mixture. 

Comments

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    What was in the overnight brine?
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    That sounds awesome.  Do you slice the bacon with the turkey and serve it as one - or do you just take the bacon off at some point?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Simple brine of sugar water &nacl. Yes serve w/bacon.

• Logger
    Logger Posts: 309
    You're doing good...just keep 'em coming.  ;)

So far it's looking Awesome.  What kind of vinaigrette???
    OKC area  XL - Medium Eggs
  • Charlie tuna
    I tried to bend the bacon to see if it was crispy?  That didn't work!  Is it crispy?  How did you finish them? 
  • beteez
    @Charlie tuna cooked it long enough to crisp bacon but the turkey got to 172 & was slightly dry. Glazed with honey, cider vinegar & mustard then brushed slices with leftover glaze, apl called for adding melted butter to glaze as a bd dressing omitted the extra butter.

@logger the Vinaigrette was pretty basic  shallot garlic thyme, old bay, red pepper flake, white wine vin & canola.

• Charlie tuna
    Well, what would you change on this cook??   
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,024
    Looks awesome'
  • beteez
    APL calls to cook for 1 hour before applying bacon. I would either do it after 30 minutes or for the whole cook in order to crisp the bacon properly. 
  • I don't mean to hijack your thread @beteez, but I have been wondering about cooking a bone-in turkey breast without the skin.  I have cooked a couple of them with skin on, and despite my best efforts I just cannot get the skin crisp.  It is just not the texture I'm looking for.  It usually is ok (not great) to eat right when it comes off the egg but is barely edible on the leftovers.  If I remove it on the leftover turkey, I remove most of my rub flavoring.

So here is the question, can you cook a large bone-in breast without the skin or will the breast dry out without that layer of protection around it?

Thanks in advance.

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    lc_gator said:

I don't mean to hijack your thread @beteez, but I have been wondering about cooking a bone-in turkey breast without the skin.  I have cooked a couple of them with skin on, and despite my best efforts I just cannot get the skin crisp.  It is just not the texture I'm looking for.  It usually is ok (not great) to eat right when it comes off the egg but is barely edible on the leftovers.  If I remove it on the leftover turkey, I remove most of my rub flavoring.

So here is the question, can you cook a large bone-in breast without the skin or will the breast dry out without that layer of protection around it?

Thanks in advance.

@lc_gator
    This is an old thread, not sure if the OP is still around to answer.

To answer your question, skin does not keep breast meat from drying out. Not overcooking it keeps it nice and moist. So if you don't like the skin, go ahead and remove first. The other trick you can do is peel the skin up and season the meat, then lay the skin back on and season again. This works well if you will serve with skin for initial serving, but use without skin for later (such as salads, etc).

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker