Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasket on bottom only.

Options
Got my egg last year and fried gasket on my first pizza cook.  I replaced it with the  Hi-Que Gasket but I am having an issue with the top gasket coming loose from the lid.  Is anyone running just a gasket on the bottom ?

Comments

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    My original gasket didn't last three months on a large egg.  I went another six months, gasketless and i didn't like the fact that i couldn't maintain a "low and slow" below 250 degrees.  So i contacted RRP and ordered a rutland -- cheap and he had it delivered before i had a chance to pay him for it!  It was easy to install and is on the bottom only.  My low cooking temperatures returned and i was shocked at how much lump i was wasting during the shutdown process!!  I am happy with it and it's been there now, two+ years and provides a very good cushion when closing the dome..
  • carter422
    carter422 Posts: 58
    Options
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    I've got a Permatex "copper gasket" on the bottom only, works great.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• BigGreenBamaGriller
    Options
    I've got the BGE brand Nomex gasket on bottom only. Much easier installation and It performs perfectly.
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    RRP is on "The Other" egg forum - just an egger who buys the gasket material in large rolls and cuts it according to the size egg you have.  Postage cost about the same as the gasket.  You buy the Permatex "copper gasket" material at your car parts store!!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I roll bottom gasket only. Works like a champ.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I've got the BGE brand Nomex gasket on bottom only. Much easier installation and It performs perfectly.

exact same set up. no issues here
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • carter422
    carter422 Posts: 58
    Options
    I took the upper Hi-que gasket off the dome.  The gasket material itself was in good shape seems like the adhesive failed.  Gonna clean it good and check gaps.  Also email the mothership about a replacement and sent Hi-que an email to.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    My original gasket didn't last three months on a large egg.  I went another six months, gasketless and i didn't like the fact that i couldn't maintain a "low and slow" below 250 degrees.  So i contacted RRP and ordered a rutland -- cheap and he had it delivered before i had a chance to pay him for it!  It was easy to install and is on the bottom only.  My low cooking temperatures returned and i was shocked at how much lump i was wasting during the shutdown process!!  I am happy with it and it's been there now, two+ years and provides a very good cushion when closing the dome..
    Couldn't agree more!  Got my Rutland from RRP and had the same problem with massive lump burning after shutdown.  The fact is, some have a better lid/base match than others.  In other words, little or no gaps.  Mine isn't great, but Rutland on the bottom only solves that.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    Bottom only on my mini. Don't do slow and low on it much, but I see no smoke leaks when I use wood. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    Options
    Botch said:
    I've got a Permatex "copper gasket" on the bottom only, works great.  
    Did this on my large and mini for about $8.00. It works
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein