Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

how popular/well known are BGE in your area?

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Really interesting post. There are a lot of dealers in the Greater Toronto Area and BGE Canada is just outside the zone. I'm well out of the area but there are three dealers within a ten minute drive of me. I rarely talk to anyone that hasn't at least heard of them. My ol' buddy Tim (Grand Oeuf Vert) is a marketing guy with BGE Canada and he has done a terrific job of spreading the word.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I live in the Springfield, MO. area and we have a store in Springfield and another in Nixa, MO. I live about 3/4 of a mile from the Nixa store and have an egg on each side of me. They seem to be well known down this way as they know of what I speak when I mention the BGE.
    Hello from battlefield, MO!
  • mukl
    mukl Posts: 66
    I've done two BBQ competitions up here in WA.  There have been one or two at each competition, other than mine.

• including myself, I know 6 people that own one. I live in a college town down in football country and see several smalls and minis at tailgates in the fall. I just got a large for Christmas and use it at least 3 times a week. there are 2 dealers in town, one is a feed store that has a small selection, bad service, and high prices, the other is scuba shop that has great selection, helpful people and good prices.
    If you're feelin' puny and you don't know what to do
    Treat yourself to some meat eat some barbeque
    - Robert Earl Keen

L BGE
    Auburn, AL
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    I've got 2 dealers in town another two within 80 miles.  People will drive by and comment about how much they want one, but I only personally know 1 other person in town that has one. Unfortunately pellet grills seem to be popular here which I will never understand.  Not saying they can't make decent food, but just think they look silly.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • I am in the panhandle of Nebraska.  We have two dealers out here.  The best thing is my employer is one of them.  They are getting better known.  We received our first shipment last July.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Wow. In my neighborhood when I walk I have counted a couple of dozen. Probably 150 houses in the hood. Lots of eggheads around me. Bought mine from a local Ace and they dropped it off at the house on the way back from the distributor who is in the same city.
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • LDR
    LDR Posts: 414

Here in central Arkansas, I have not seen another egg outside of a dealer's premises.  My preferred dealer is in Benton.  They have moderate prices with people who know the product - which they actually have in stock.  There are four or five dealers listed on the search page, but one of them's a second-hand furniture dealer which doesn't have a single piece of equipment in stock or on display - not even a jar of spice or bag of lump.

People have heard of the egg, or know someone somewhere who has one, but that's about it.

• Browninggold
    Browninggold Posts: 453
    edited March 2013
    Didn't even know of a BGE until this past year. No one in my neighborhood has one. SW Michigan
  • Here in Birmingham, most guys at least know of the Egg, but I don't run into a lot of people that have one.
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    There are two dealers that I know of here on the Wet Coast of BC. I have talked to both locations and unfortunately the staff don't know a whole lot about the product. I found that I was sharing more info with them about how and what the egg is capable of doing. It is to bad that either dealers or the reps don't spead more time with the front line people with regards to training. It is a great product and needs more exposure up here. I have talked to a lot of people about BBQing and nobody has heard of BGE. We take our small with us RVing, and their has only been one couple that recognized what it was, had a few lookie lou's inquire as to what it was once the aroma from the egg started filling the campground. :D
    @skiddymarker, how ya enjoying the rain so far,  LOL
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    @smokesniffer - definitely the WET COAST this week, eh? I have mine covered so it is not like I'm out in the open. 
    Given the business model BGE has chosen for Canada, they do not want people to know about or buy their product. That's why so many friends have a Primo, the Canadian retail is very close to the US retail whereas the BGE retail in Canada is sometimes as much as 150% higher. I think Primo uses the same distributor, the border is pretty much invisible.
    I do agree that the dealers here seem to not have much knowledge, but then again I talked to a number of US dealers that left a lot to be desired. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • mhoutman
    mhoutman Posts: 57
    I live in the Netherlands where we do no see very much Eggs. Unfortunately they are too pricey and of course we have the current crises.

Yet I see a growing interest in ceramic cooking but with lower prices (all would take less margin (Big Green Egg Europe -> Distributor-> Dealer) it would give sales a boost. 

With a list price of EUR 590,00 (USD 771.00) a Mini with nest is really too expensive. A Large with nest and side tables is about EUR 1.520,00 (USD 1,986.00)

Still I am a happy EGGhead :)
    Dutch EGGhead and proud owner of a Big Green Egg Large, MiniMax and Mini
  • ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390
    I am in South Florida, and there are alot of radio advertisements for them.  Alot of people have heard of them, but it seems like only a few have even ever seen one.  Most of the dealers in my area are over priced.  On the reccomendation of Doc Eggerton, i went up to Melbourne to get mine.  Though far away, they treated me well, and gave me a good deal!

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• Here in Southwest Virginia, I know of two people with eggs.  I also know someone with a bubba keg (I've challenged him to cook-offs and he's afraid).  But just about everybody I've mentioned it to knows what they are.  We have just one local dealer and a few an hours drive away.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490

Here in Southwest Virginia, I know of two people with eggs.  I also know someone with a bubba keg (I've challenged him to cook-offs and he's afraid).  But just about everybody I've mentioned it to knows what they are.  We have just one local dealer and a few an hours drive away.
    Honestly from what I have heard the bubba keg cooks similarly...I think it would come down to the cook not the cooker ;)

What you should challenge him to is a "who' s cooker won't be rusted in 5 years"-off. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• I live in GA there are too many to count. Every neighborhood you ride by has 3-4 in my area.
  • daffy1909
    daffy1909 Posts: 498
    edited March 2013
    in northern ontario most people that i talk to never heard of green eggs! even after explaining what they r they still have no idea! now either their not too popular or i have real stupid friends!!!! L-)
  • canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    @daffy 1909 do They look at you like you have 2 heads when you tell them the price. Mine do
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Seems like most folks have heard of them but think we are crazy for paying that much for a grill!
    Dumb asses
    Well, I used to be in the same kayak with them
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Seems like most folks have heard of them but think we are crazy for paying that much for a grill!
    Dumb asses
    Well, I used to be in the same kayak with them
    At least you know how to flip your's the right way up.
  • TFols
    TFols Posts: 241
    I live in Northern NJ and don't know of anyone else who has one accept my BIL who bought his after sampling what came off of my egg. None of my friends or family knew what an Egg was until I bought mine, know they always asking what's for dinner ;)
    Bloomfield, NJ
  • Didn't even know of a BGE until this past year. No one in my neighborhood has one. SW Michigan
    Kalamazoo???

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• BGE is huge in Louisiana, as seen by the number of colorful posters on this forum.  We have one dealer in Shreveport/bossier area, and he really pushes the BGE (Tubbs Hardware).   His slogan is "Spend less time mowing, and more time grilling".  Knowledgeable fellow, and happy to do whatever promotes the Egg.  Started carrying Dizzy Pig products after I asked.  I know at least a dozen people with one.

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!

• mb99zz
    mb99zz Posts: 183
    I'm in Virginia.  I've seen one other egg on a deck recently.  Having said that, there are lots of dealers around here and when I go to the dealer nearest my house -- I tend to see one or two potential customers looking at the eggs and asking questions.  The guy there who sold me on the BGE said they do a fair amount of business.  
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    There are 4 dealers within 20 minutes of each other around Franklin, TN.  My neighbor has one and since I fire one up every night, there are a lot of neighbors that want one.  The dealer that I got mine from seems to sell them steadily through the winter but can barely keep them stocked in the summer.  A friend of mine at work has had one for many years and we talk every day about our cooks.  This has driven a lot of interest and several more people have pulled the trigger.  I believe there are hundreds of egg heads in the Nashville area, they just aren't forum users.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Crispix49
    Crispix49 Posts: 191
    Most common questions from non-eggers: "how to you start it?" and "how often to you have to go add more charcoal?" and "what type of charcoal is that?!?"
    Atlanta suburbs
    Large & Mini owner
    UGA Alum - Go Dawgs!
  • Didn't even know of a BGE until this past year. No one in my neighborhood has one. SW Michigan
    Kalamazoo???

Decatur