Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What is the best way to cook pork loin

My son is begging for me to cook a pork loin. My local grocer has whole loins already sliced. They look kind of like thick pork chops, (I guess that is what they are). 

Anyway, I have never cooked pork on the BGE before.

I don't have a raised grid, but I do have a platesetter that I haven't used yet. 

What rub should I use? 
Should I use apple or pecan chips?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. He is a picky eater so I don't want to ruin it for him!

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Are they loin chops or a full loin? How large? Easy to make a raised grid solution with bricks on the fire ring. If a loin, butterfly, stuff, then wrap with bacon!! If you cannot do raised direct, do indirect.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    I am going by memory. It was a whole loin that was pre cut. The pieces looked kind of thick maybe 3/4 to 1" thick. 

I don't remember the weight. Sorry! 

Based on my limited info what do you think would be the best way to cook them?

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    edited March 2013

Marinate overnight in Dichicko's Garlic, improvise raised grid, cook direct at 400 until internal is 135 (flipping half way through, I can't remember how long this takes and don't have my cook diary here, but I would check at about 7 minutes to see how fast it is going.)

An alternate marinade that is easier to find in a grocery store is Allegro Hot & Spicy.  I also like Dizzy Dust or Traeger Sweet Rub on pork chops.

If you like your results be sure to try a bone-in pork roast.  It is basically a Crown Roast in pork, looks fantastic and tastes great.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Doc_Eggerton

I meant Rib Roast except pork.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Cherry,Apple,Pecan are all good for pork. Nice light flavor. Personally I like apple. With it being chops I would cook them just like a steak. Direct heat. I like evoo,sea salt,cracked pepper , slight dusting with garlic powder.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited March 2013
    If your first time, keep it simple, if you have done in the oven use the same technique. Go easy on the rub unless you are "rubaholics". Indirect, setter legs up, drip pan on the setter raised with some tile strips wads of foil just so drip pan is not directly on the setter, cooking grid on the setter, stable at 350-400. Toss on the loin roast and cook to an internal of 140ish, off, cover and rest for 10-15 minutes, slice and serve. On subsequent cooks, try some wood smoke. 
    If you do them as chops, same temp only direct with the grid on the fire ring for <3/4" thick, raised direct for >1" thick. Also try indirect at 300 for chops will add lots of smoke for thick cut chops. Once internal is at 120, pull the setter, let the egg roar to life and reverse sear them. 
    I often buy the cryovaced loins, cut into 6-8" long roasts and 1"thick chops and 1/4" cutlets for schnitzels.  

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    I did two in the oven once at 250 for about 3.5 hours. What I dd was cut up about 4-5 potatoes and dump them in a 9"X13" glass dish, then a whole onion sliced and a container of mushrooms. I sprinkled it all with Salt, Pepper and Garlic Powder. Put some pork rub on two loins and laid them on top then and covered it with foil. Came out nice and tender. I did the same thing with chicken quarters also.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Doc has the ticket on this one.  Brine the 1 inch to 3/4 inch slices of loin for a minimum of six hours and cook like Doc said!!  You will end up with juicy pork with a "beef steak texture"!  After the brine, rinse and dry the pork -- i used only kosher salt and fresh course ground black pepper as a seasoning to each side.  They will cook fast, don't turn your back and pull them at 135 to 140 degrees internal -- this is critical  --- 150 will be dry!!
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Great advice as usual guys! Thank you so much.

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    I did some last night that were 1 1/2 bone ine chops like a ribeye. Direct over 500 deg coal on CI cooking grid. I used Raging River DP. Never have used before on pork and I really liked it. It was different from the same ole S&P or BBQ rub I usually enjoy. It Has maple hints that go well with the chops.
  • Charlie tuna

Someone here gave me this brine recipe -- it opened my eyes to just how good a pork chop can be!!

1/4 cup of salt

1/2 cup of brown sugar

1/4 cup of rub

Quart of water

• pflug
    pflug Posts: 106
    I've done a Bone In Pork Roast a bunch of times on my LBGE with a recipe based on one originally from Cooks Illustrated .  I use a "Center Cut Rib Roast" and have the butcher remove the chine bone and crack  (make sure they don't cut into the meat) and leave the bones on and 1/4 inch of fat on the outside of the meat.

I don't use a rub, just some slits in the fat and rub with salt and let sit for up to 24 hours in the frig.  Just before putting it on, I sprinkle with pepper.... that's it!

Cook indirect (plate setter legs up) with the SS grid at 425 deg.  I put a chunk or two of apple wood in the coals.  Sometimes I put it in a v-rack, sometimes just standing with the bones pointing up.  Go until an internal temperature of 140 deg (usually takes about 20 min per lb), and then tent for 30 minutes and the internal temp will rise to about 150.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    I have access to my photos now.  Here's how the bone-in turns out.

• Eggscriber
    Eggscriber Posts: 276
    I am on a big Teriyaki kick.  I like this Asian seasoning and Cooking sauce that they sell at Costco.  I let it marinade for a few hours and then grill it direct on a raised grid at 400.  I just made it tonight!
  • Charlie tuna
    I was thinking these were boneless??  This was my last sliced boneless pork loin cook.  Full of moisture!!