Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Glory, Glory... The EGG has landed!

Had my table stained,  prepped,  and accessorized with an empty spot for the LBGE - until today,  when it was delivered in all its glory and placed in its new home!   I've got a fire going as we speak so that I can tinker with temp adjustments and learn a little about it prior to its maiden voyage tomorrow night, a Simon and Garfunkel'd spatchcock chicken that's already spatched and sitting in the fridge waiting for its big moment!  Life is good.

Two quick questions: I burned today and noticed that smoke went from white to clear in about 15 min - assuming that's what I'm looking for to let me know that cooking can begin?   Also - I have the regular grate on and the BGE raised grate on top of it (3" above).  Isn't it the case that the cooking temps on the top grate will be a bit higher than on the bottom? 

Thanks!   Looking forward to firing it up for real tomorrow night. 

Comments

• CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Congratulations! You are correct about waiting for the white smoke to clear up. Regarding the grates...is this a direct or indirect setup?
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Yep on the smoke.  If you're cooking direct, the closer you are to the coals the hotter it is.  For extreme searing, folks put a grate right on the coals.  Indirect, it's hotter higher up in the dome.
    Ah.... Right!   Direct vs indirect would be important - got it thanks!

Is calibrating the thermometer a necessary first step,  or only needs to be done if you suspect a problem? 
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    ddegger said:
    Ah.... Right!   Direct vs indirect would be important - got it thanks!

Is calibrating the thermometer a necessary first step,  or only needs to be done if you suspect a problem? 

calibrate it while your thinking about it, won't hurt nothing and go ahead and toss the clip from the back it only is a nuisance
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Congratulations!! Welcome to the fold.

Probably not a bad idea to calibrate the therm just to make sure.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Nice one on the Paul and Art reference. Still the best seasoning for chickens. Congrats.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Might as well check the thermometer tonight so you know that it is where it needs to be. Also might as well look into getting at least a thermapen, and you didn't mention whether or not you got a plate setter with the Egg.  I'd say figuring out what you will do for indirect setups and thermapen are your most important purchases besides the Egg itself.  Congrats and welcome to the cult.
    >:)
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Welcome to the eggaholic network of crazy cookers !!  Your life is about to change!!
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Welcome, always room and yes "learn" the difference between direct and indirect. The setter is a great first cook very forgiving, 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • ddegger
    ddegger Posts: 244
    Got it. ... yep, plate setter is here along with gobs of other accessories like pizza stone (want to try this next but posts here suggest it might be more complicated than it seems), grill gripper,  remote thermo,  etc, and thermapen is on its way. SWMBO will begin to deal with all this assuming chicken comes out as well as expected tomorrow night....
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Welcome feel free to ask questions and pick a answer that seems like it will work for you. As you will see there are many different ways to produce great food on the egg, pizza is a big one where multiple methods can drive you crazy but everyone is trying to help. Most of us are cooking the best food ever and love to share tips and recipes to help others. 

Where are you from? I'm a Oklahoma egger here.  
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    edited March 2013
    Welcome here, you going to love egging, it makes some great tasting vittles.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Congrats on your first Egg & welcome aboard!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Congrats on you're new egg.  You appear to be much more prepared than I was.  Looking forward to some pics.  Go buy some bigger clothes.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014