Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Meatloaf and Roasted Cauliflower Mash

After seeing all the posts about meatloaf for the last month or so we finally decided it was time to make one on the egg. After a quick inventory of what we had in the pantry and a couple of different recipes we ran to the store and got the rest of the stuff. 

Ingredients: 
2 pounds lean ground beef
1 package pork sausage
1 cup whole wheat bread crumbs (just a quick pulse of two heels of bread in the Cuisinart) 
1 package Lipton onion soup mix
1 can Campbells cream of mushroom soup
1 egg
1 Tbl garlic powder
salt / pepper to taste

Stabalize Egg at 375° We used a handful of cherry and a handful of apple chips.

In a food processor, blend onion soup with bread crumbs. 

Add bread crumb / onion mixture, mushroom soup, egg, garlic powder, salt, and pepper to a large bowl containing the meat and mix together with hands until well combined. Shape into a loaf and bake until internal temperature reaches 170° just over 1½ hours. 

For the Cauliflower I went with combination between Guy Fieri's Roasted and Pureed Cauliflower and Rachel Ray's Smashed Cauliflower 

First I drizzled some olive oil, salt, and pepper on some cauliflower skewered on the firewire.
Then it went on the top tier of the CGW Swing Rack 

Flipped the cauliflower after about 10 mins

After another 10 minutes I took the cauliflower inside and put it in a sauce pot and simmered it in milk until fork tender, saving ¼ of it to put on top of the mash. 

Once they are fork tender they go in the food processor and start with half of the liquid and add more until you get the desired consistency. I added 1 cup of white cheddar cheese I shredded with the processor earlier. 

I transferred the mash to a bowl and sprinkled some parmesan on top then foiled until the meatloaf was ready. 

Here it is at 170° and the backyard smelled great! 

We let it rest around 20 minutes and sliced it up

I can't believe we waited so long to make this. It was by far the best meatloaf I have ever made! The cauliflower was great and the pieces left whole were just as good! I will be making both of these recipes again in the future! 

Then to top off a great meal a homemade Apple Crostata, it wasn't made on the egg but it could have been. 

Just a little update I resealed / stained / protected all the cedar and mahogany. After almost two years everything still is looking great! 

Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Amazing!! Everything looks great. I need to give mashed cauliflower another try.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    @Griffin I highly recommend throwing it on the egg first. In one of my cookbooks (I think it was the Pioneer Woman) said "steamed cauliflower is ok, sautéed is good, but roasted it is divine!" I have never been a big fan of it so I agree with her statement. I would add this to any meal if I was looking for a good side dish.
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Will do. :-bd

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Scott805
    Scott805 Posts: 349
    Wow!  Excellent cook.

Large BGE, 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack System, three (3) bricks from Home Depot for raised direct, Blackstone 22" Griddle - Finally have a decent cooking area!

Dallas, TX

• jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    Nicely done! Another one of my favorites I need to do on the Egg. I always make extra loafs. My wife has been known to have it for breakfast. If your meatloaf mixture is firm enough try making it without the pan for even more exposure to the smoke. 
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • Solson005
    Thanks @Scott805 I can't believe I'm just now trying it on the egg. It was not your typical meatloaf by any means. 

@jfm0830 Thanks, I thought about leaving it out of the pan, but did not want it to "squat" during cooking like some others I have seen. I will be making it again and might do two loafs and leave one in the pan and one out to see the results. It was so good I don't want to change it too much. 
  • jfm0830
    edited March 2013
    @Solso005 I tend to make my loafs on the "tall sIde" so when they squish down they achieve the shape I really want.
  • Solson005
    Good tip @jfm0830 I will use that when I do a side by side comparison next time. Thanks
  • mangasb
    mangasb Posts: 14

Well done!  The stained home for your BGE's is looking great as well.  Definitely going to try that this week.

• Solson005
    Thanks @mangasb it was really good, I highly recommend both recipes. We love our egg pergola / patio area and use it more than we ever thought we would.
  • Solson005
    I just had leftovers for lunch and I think it was even better a day later! 
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    My lordy that looks awesome. Have to try it sometime when SWMBO isn't around as she is allergic to mushrooms. Might try with cream of celery as a substitute.  Great looking cook!
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • EddieK76
    EddieK76 Posts: 416
    Looks great!   Any reason why you chose a meatloaf pan as opposed to just putting it straight on the Egg?  I've done both so just curious your thoughts!
    Large BGE

• Finally made some of the cauliflower after reading so much about it and I agree with those who like them better than potatoes.  Meatloaf looks great too.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Solson005
    Thanks @Scottborasjr I'm sure you could use cream of celery or something else to substitute. 

@EddieK76 I didn't know how it would hold up on the egg, I didn't know how much it would "squat" next time I will do two, one in the pan and one on the grill and see if there are pros and cons of each. 

@SWVABeanCounter thats pretty much  the reason behind this whole cook, from hearing rave reviews we just decided to try it ourselves and were very pleased with the results of both recipes. Thanks! 
  • EddieK76
    EddieK76 Posts: 416
    Solson005 said:

@EddieK76 I didn't know how it would hold up on the egg, I didn't know how much it would "squat" next time I will do two, one in the pan and one on the grill and see if there are pros and cons of each. 

I like the crispy parts of the meatloaf so I'm attached to the non loaf pan :)  IN regards to the cauliflower....I know it's much healthier than white potatoes and I need to go that route but will it cure my craving for white potatoes?
    Large BGE

• Solson005
    @EddieK76 understandable i will do the side by side and very well might light that method better. As far as the Cauliflower it is pretty good especially roasting it on the egg. I don't know that it would cure a craving but it is a great tasting side dish to try sometime.
  • bccomstock
    bccomstock Posts: 338
    One of my next cooks will be cauliflower on the Egg.. I saw a cooking short on the DisneyJr channel of all places one night (something for the parents I guess).  She cut a head of cauliflower in to "steaks", drizzled with EVOO, salt and pepper and then grilled them.  Could probably even throw some rub on them.  You could do a completely cauliflower meal with steaks and some mashed cauliflower.
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    Niiiiice!!!! =P~
  • Solson005
    @bccomstock the ¼ of the cauliflower I saved to top the mash was just as good if not better, after I brought it all inside I hit the leftover with oil, salt, and pepper again and threw it back on the egg to char it up. I would be willing to try one of those "cauliflower steaks" on a future cook. Of course the egg worked its magic as it does with all veggies. 

@Dyal_SC Thanks, it was really good! 
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Look's awesome!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Great cook And will use the cauliflower recipe for a change up.
    Seattle, WA
  • Solson005
    Thanks @RAC and @SkinnyV the cauliflower is great change up to keep from making the same sides every week. Some recipes say it can be made in a blender but I already had the food processor out for the apple crostata and bread crumbs so I used that. 
  • Excellent.  I have done 3 meatloafs on the egg.  One suggestion to try, use a inverted CI grid flat side) and a plate setter.  That is the only way I have done meatloaf.  (out of the pan).  All I can say is SWMBO and I have always ended up fighting over the crispy black pieces on the bottom. 

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• Solson005
    Thanks @erniemcclain I will give it a try when I do a side by side comparison with one in the pan. I can't believe it could get any better than this but I'll give it a shot!
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Always something to learn here. Never used cream of shroom soup in a meat loaf. Another one for the bucket list. Thanks for sharing, great looking cook. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Solson005
    edited March 2013
    Thanks @Skiddymarker I have been meaning to try this out on the egg for awhile now and being a cold windy day, we decided to finally go for it yesterday. I picked up the recipe awhile back and it worked, so we still use it. I highly recommend it.

The list of things to try grows pretty fast around here..
  • jfm0830
    edited March 2013
    Before I get you and myself in trouble, let me just mention that even though I don't use a meatloaf pan, I do use a drip pan. You will get massive flareups if you don't. Also most of the meatloaf recipes I've made involve a sauce or topping applied with around 30 minutes left to go in the cook. With the drip pan you don't have to worry about spilling anything on the grill. I use shallow disposable  aluminum drip pans with raised ridges to keep the loaves out of the drippings.

• Bham_egger
    Bham_egger Posts: 196
    All looks Great!  I wan another meatloaf now!
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    The last meatloaf i egged had too much smoke flavor in it -- i have the meat now and am going to try it again without smoke, maybe pecan is too strong for meatloaf??