Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First turbo butt

Tjcoley
Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
I've been a strong proponent of low 'n slo for pork butt.  I like the challenge of the overnight cook and the satisfaction of saying I've cooked something for 24 hours on the Egg, didn't need to adjust anything, and still had a good deal of lump left over.  Not to mention the taste.  After reading so much lately about going turbo, especially @Mickey, I decided to give it a try.
IT just reached 165 after four hours at 370 dome (I was shooting for 350 but the Egg decided to settle in a little higher).  Going in to the foil for a couple hours and should be done in time for dinner.  It smells fantastic.  Can't wait to see how this one turns out.

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    That is the only way I will do one now...... Please keep us up on it.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Look's great! Another picture when done please.

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Tjcoley
    200 IT, off the Egg and still in foil.  Will let it rest for an hour, then pull it.  Pics to follow.  The whole back yard smells like roast pork and apple wood smoke.  Great way to spend a Sunday afternoon.
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Looks great bud. I will never do another butt under 300. I just did ribs yesterday still haven't found the best way to do those.

Excited about hearing how this turns out.

XLBGE 
  • I'm eggcited about it as well.  I'm a die hard low & slow guy myself.  BUT I'm also lazy and if I can get great results with less babysitting...  TJ, let us know about the bark because that's the whole reason I never tried turbo.  I figure it would not have good bark.
    Flint, Michigan
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Let us know what you think, thought mine was just fine.
    Seattle, WA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I find the turbo method gives you a "bacon" flavor that you don't get with a low n slow.  It's different if you cook hot.  Depending on what you want, that's something that I notice with turbo.
    @fred19flinstone

I did two 8 pounders the other day turbo no foil.  I could tell a difference from my low and slow, very slight difference but was not worth it.  with some tweaking you can do a turbo the same quality or better than a 15 hour cook.  I took these butts to 30 hungry men and they killed it.  Also, the egg sits more comfortably around 300-350 so less worry about temp troubles.  

XLBGE 
  • Mickey
    Looks great bud. I will never do another butt under 300. I just did ribs yesterday still haven't found the best way to do those. Excited about hearing how this turns out.
    This works for me now:Did baby backs for lunch a while back. (Sorry but I can't remember who I got this from.)
    350 indirect 1hr 40 min. 
    Pull membrane , rub. Put on at 350 and leave the hell alone for about that time. I opened 15 min early and sauced my half rack. This is called turbo ribs and I will never go back to 4 and 5 hour ribs. 
    Note: with or w/o mustard works

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    @Tjcoley - looks good so far. Can't wait to see the final results

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Tjcoley
    OK, I'm a turbo convert.  This turned out just as good as the low 'n slo.  My son even asked "Did you do something different, because this is the best one yet"  Bone pulled out clean.  Lots of juice in the foil.  Pulled easily using the bear claws - they are even better for lifting the pork off the Egg.  May be a little less bark than the slow cook, but there was plenty of great tasting bark - not enough of a difference to worry about.  Will do it this way next time for sure.  
    told you so :bz

• Tjcoley
    Thanks @Mickey - you made me a believer.
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Awesome

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • ddegger
    ddegger Posts: 244
    Sounds awesome - two questions.....any way to get a link for the original @Mickey instructions (tried searching but no luck)? On a related note - I havent found a good way to search for older/original posts hat people often refer to....are there sticky threads or anything similar?
  • MrCookingNurse
    @mickey

Thanks man. I'll try that soon

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    Your result is amazing proof of the turbo. Good job bud

XLBGE 
  • Mickey
    ddegger said:
    Sounds awesome - two questions.....any way to get a link for the original @Mickey instructions (tried searching but no luck)? On a related note - I havent found a good way to search for older/original posts hat people often refer to....are there sticky threads or anything similar?

TURBO BUTTS · Hot'n fast, 350 for 3 hours to internal to around 160, then wrap in foil and 2 more hours to 195 and then let it rest for an hour or so wrapped in towels in a ice chest. Falls apart and oh so good! Have fun! · Be sure you only get a 7lb butt or so (or a couple ) . Note: both times on the foil wrap is not required. Nor is the butt box.

• Tjcoley
    ddegger said:

ddegger said:

Best way to search is with Google. Just use Big Green Egg and the topic you want. The search function on the forum is pretty weak
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    It's foolproof and easy!
  • ddegger
    ddegger Posts: 244
    Brilliant - got this bookmarked, ready to try soon. Thanks!!
  • Here is one I cooked at 350 dome temp. Rubbed it down the night before and injected 2 hours prior. I did not foil and and very thick bark.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I like the hybrid turbo.  I'll cook low and slow till I hit the stall, then ramp the temp up (based on weight) to have the butt done when I want to eat.  I agree there's an advantage to powering through the stall - seems to dry out less.  Thank god for fat and gelatin, plenty of that in a butt, makes us think it's moist even if it's not.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
    500 Posts: 3,177
    I like the hybrid turbo.  I'll cook low and slow till I hit the stall, then ramp the temp up (based on weight) to have the butt done when I want to eat.  I agree there's an advantage to powering through the stall - seems to dry out less.  Thank god for fat and gelatin, plenty of that in a butt, makes us think it's moist even if it's not.
    @nolaegghead, I think your method should be called "Prius Turbo".
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009