Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie EGGhead

I just got a medium EGG at Smokin in the Square festival in Pensacola. Went there to eat BBQ and ended up buying a demo EGG. I have used it three times this week and I am really amazed at how the food taste off of it. My wife has wanted one for the past ten years but I didn't want to mess with charcoal and preferred a gas grill. My first grill was just bone-in chicken breast and they were so moist and tasty. I can't believe how good they were. I also cooked some Conecuh sausage that was good but the smoke flavor didn't seem to penetrate the casing like the chicken did. Tonight we did grouper on it and it was great. My wife said that we should have taken a picture but it was too late as we were 3/4 the way done. We didn't have time for a picture. The gas grill is history now. We have so many things to try( ribs, pork roast, steak and even hamburgers) and really can't wait. This post is just a FYI on how good life is.
Gulf Coast FL

Comments

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    welcome aboard! you should fine wonderful tips, recipes, and advice if you can make it past a few of us on here!! Just a bunch of goobers having a little fun with BBQ!

XLBGE 
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Welcome to the cult
    >:)
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    oh i forgot to mention, get ready to spend a lot of money! you just thought the egg was expensive!!

XLBGE 
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Welcome aboard but remember, No Pictures = It didn't happen
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • grEGGorys
    grEGGorys Posts: 168
    I have already jumped in with both feet. I bought a table, plate setter, cast iron grill and the DigiQ DX-2. I think I am set for a little while but say goodbye to tax refund. I will remember about the picture next time but I know it happened because my stomach said so.
    Gulf Coast FL
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Welcome. Looking forward to more great cooks. Lots of great info here.
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    Congrats, welcome aboard and welcome to the cult. Like you I couldn't believe how good it was. Haven't used my gas grill or offset smoker in 7 months and got my second large 2 months ago.
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • grEGGorys
    I have noticed that a lot of people have multiple eggs. I understand getting a small for small cooks but what is the purpose of multiple same size eggs? Are you cooking that much at one time? It is just my wife and I 99% of the time so the medium is just the right size for us. Thanks for the info.
    Gulf Coast FL
  • RoundTowner
    RoundTowner Posts: 125
    It's a major part of a chemistry set....
  • tech284
    tech284 Posts: 34
    Welcome to no more money the BGE is the best I just got mine in February I have used all of my mad money and have so many more ideas, the options with the BGE are endless
  • flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    Welcome aboard. Cruise the threads, it is where I learned to do many of the things I do on my egg. I am still a one egger and use my gasser for select things, but don't tell anybody :D
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • Scottborasjr
    If it's just the wife and you then the medium will be perfect for now.... one of my favorite things about the egg is cooking oven food on the grill when it's 90 degrees outside and running the oven is counter productive to the air conditioning. If you are serving a crowd, two eggs allows for two temperature cooks.  Like if you are doing ribs or pork on one low and slow, you can do dogs and burgers on another for people or kids who don't appreciate bbq. Multiple eggs is a luxury, and a enjoyable one at that.
    :)>-
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • jccbone62
    jccbone62 Posts: 248
    Welcome the the group and happy cooking...
    XL owner in Wichita, KS
  • grEGGorys
    Thanks for the clarification on multiple eggs. It makes perfect sense to me. My wife is looking forward to cooking on it during the summer so the house doesn't heat up and run the air more. I have been browsing this forum constantly for the past week. It is a wealth of information. Thanks to all for the posts.
    Gulf Coast FL
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    edited March 2013
    For two folks you are probably fine...for now. I cook for from 2-8 people, usually 4. 

When looking to buy my first Egg I was debating between a Large and an XL. The advice I got before I bought the Large was to get a large and then a Small later. This allows you to grill and smoke or grill and bake at the same time or handle more food than you can fit on a single Egg. I quickly began to want to do everything from baking to dessert on the Egg. What changed for me was I started thinking about having to buy more Eggcessories in a second size. I did the math and a second Large plus a Plate Setter was actually cheaper tha a Small plus Eggcessories. Plus no learning curve and less thinking to do with two similar sized Eggs. 

If you are interested in some of my reasons (and everyone's mileage may vary)  I wrote a two-part blog entry on it: 

Jim
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • Scottborasjr
    Also for me anyway, the small is perfect to travel with, fits in the back of my wife's SUV perfectly.  Half the reason I got her talked into it was to take it on our summer trip to the lake.  Hopefully instead of going out for dinner 4-5 nights the week we are at the lake at a cost of 175-300 dollars a meal I'll just cook at the lake house and spend 25-40 bucks a night on meat and veggies.  Not to mention the gas it takes to drive 20-40 miles just for dinner. Feeding 12 people in the ozarks around Branson in the summer can be expensive.
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Welcome! I'm a Oklahoma egger here and have the Large / Small combo mainly to travel with the small weekly. Both eggs get used for big cooks and it makes it nice. Some guys with two of the same egg keep one for baking only to keep the egg clean, i am not on that level, yet... I make desserts and garlic knots on the egg and it isn't too smokey for me.

@Scottborasjr I'm taking the small to the lake next weekend (not my house) because they know the food will be better than the dock bar they usually feed a crowd at! I just glanced at your post and saw Ozarks and lake, if it was Lake of the Ozarks I could meet up and have a mini eggfest. I'm trying to talk my uncle into getting one since I took mine camping last year and he really enjoyed the food.
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    Welcome !
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Welcome. 
    Also a MBGE owner and cook for two usually, or sometimes ten if the whole family is home. I'm a believer in using the right tool for the right job, so I keep my gasser. It is great for doing veggies while the meat entree is on the egg. SWMBO is not big on smoked veggies. Also the side burner is ideal to reduce marinades to basting sauces, enhancing what the egg is doing. The gasser is the best warming oven ever, keeps the heat out of the house. Of course, you can't beat it as a storage unit for egg parts, cold or hot. 
    Many folks Wok on their eggs and really enjoy it, some of us prefer a turkey/crawfish propane burner, much hotter, faster and easier to control the temp. 
    Enjoy - the possibilities are endless!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!