Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Virgin. Question?

Options
jlsm
jlsm Posts: 1,011
Plate setter, legs up or down? I figured up so I could raise the grate and stone as high as possible with a double grate. Sauce: fresh or cooked?
Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia

Comments

• calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    Options
    Legs up is easier on your gasket and really doesn't seem to make much difference either way as far as how the pizza turns out. I have so far only used store bought sauce, fresh I bet would be awesome ! Good Luck !
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    Legs up here, grid at gasket level w/ceramic stone on top of the grid.  Stabilized at 500 degrees.
  • NecessaryIndulg
    Options
    I cook them with the legs up, too. 
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • Charlie tuna
    edited March 2013
    Options

Also i cook mine in a pizza pan directly on top of the stone.  The pan i like best has thousands of very small holes in it --  and the pizza ends up with thousands of little brown dots on the bottom crust from the holes..

And i use store bought sauce -- usually cover with sauce then pepperoni, then fresh onions-red and yellow bell peppers -- plenty of cheese!! 

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    Legs down here with spacers between stone and plate setter. I use copper plumbing tees for spacers. I've done legs up, but my pizzas have not turned out as well as with legs down.

However, legs up is easier on the gasket. This is a Ford or Chevy conversation, so answers will vary far and wide. I use store bought sauce.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    For most legs up is the preferred method. If your crust is very moist, legs down with the stone on the setter works very well, which was the way I made pizza. 
    When I first started reading this forum I tried the legs up, high in the dome route, but my crust was always underdone. SWMBO said that my dough looked very moist compared to a store bought dough we tried. She was right. 
    Using a standard crust, legs up with the stone on a grid raised about an inch above the felt line stable at about 500 works very well.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Charlie tuna
    Options
    Last week, i made the pizza dough as i normally do, and something came up to where we didn't use the dough, so it was stored in the refrigerator for three days.  We found it spred easier and the crust came out thin and crispy??  I will try it again because this was very good...
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Last week, i made the pizza dough as i normally do, and something came up to where we didn't use the dough, so it was stored in the refrigerator for three days.  We found it spred easier and the crust came out thin and crispy??  I will try it again because this was very good...
    Cold aging, America's Test Kitchen has a great show on NY style crust. Very little yeast and no flour when the crust is worked. The concept is the same when you cold age, breaks down the "whatever it is" that makes the crust elastic and hard to deal with.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!