Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is this wrong?

So I got a dry aged prime bone-in strip for myself and decided to buy a choice bone-in strip for the wife. I mean he only had one prime strip left and why should we both suffer, right? The other little piece is a small cut of boneless short rib he gave me to try on the grill.

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Works for me. Did you tell her? Are you able to answer this? If so, all worked out.......
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Lovely marbling.  So not wrong.
    Just make sure SWMBO doesn't see an itemized bill or you will be buying more than steaks :)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Just ask her which one she wants, you will win one way or the other.
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    "Honey, would you like this dry steak (leave) out a few words (aged, prime) or this beautiful steak of choice?"
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    edited March 2013

idevl, I think there is guilt involved leading to the post. Hmmmmmm

Now go have a double of that single malt and get on with cooking. After its all eaten, you have nothing to talk about.

:D

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,865
    My father once explained to me the philosophy of splitting something (say, like a candy bar) with a friend.  First, you cut the bar in half doing the best you can.  Now, invariably, one side will be a little bit bigger than the other.  But you offer your friend the choice.  If he's a good friend, he'll see you did the best you could and select the slightly smaller half.

I'm not sure how any of that applies here, but take it for what it's worth.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    IrishDevl said:
    "Honey, would you like this dry steak (leave) out a few words (aged, prime) or this beautiful steak of choice?"
    "Honey, the darker-looking one is a little rotten. So am I, but I am a Devil after all. Take it for what it's worth"

This should cover you either way.
  • IrishDevl

IrishDevl said:

"Honey, the darker-looking one is a little rotten. So am I, but I am a Devil after all. Take it for what it's worth"

IrishDevl said:

I like it.
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Just split them both to do a side by side taste test. Win win.
    Dunedin, FL
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    I'd love to hear your taste test results.  I wonder if there really is a difference???
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • IrishDevl
    thetrim said:
    I'd love to hear your taste test results.  I wonder if there really is a difference???
    I will let you know. Definitely a bit more marbling in the prime and you could see it.  My butcher nearly always points me at his choice and they are delicious, no it sure I have ever bought a prime NY strip off him. Can't recall, will post results and get the misses opinion as well. 
  • J_Que
    J_Que Posts: 223
    What she don't know won't hurt her.
    I know all the rules, but the rules do not know me.

Small, Medium, 2 Large, XL ,Stumps XL Stretch, Workhorse 1975
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Not wrong at all!  I guess you could go halfsies with the two steaks...

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Does she read this forum? You may be screwed
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Prime vs Choice... I've had choice steaks that were right up there with any prime I paid for out. I think it has to do with the individual cow and how well you nail the cook, more so than the FDA grade

You'll enjoy it no matter which one you end up with :)
  • RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    Cook the prime rare and the choice to medium well. Should make life easier for you!
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    You're just shielding her from all that extra fat, right. Who wants all that extra fat running through their steak anyway? Enjoy with a clear conscience.
  • IrishDevl
    Verdict in, both cooked to perfect medium rare. The prime was more tender, but the choice was like butter. Both had an unbelievable flavor and the prime cost $9 per pound more. So, choice wins by a landslide and my butcher is always pushing this on me anyway. I love my butcher.
  • IrishDevl
    Also, that piece of short rib was a winner and my kids ate every bit of it.