Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egghead in Charlotte

Guys,

I'be been lurking for about a month or 2, and wanted to say thank you.  My wife bought me a Large BGE for my birthday.  

For those in the Charlotte area, I'd give a shout out to Big Al's Trading Post.  They were very reasonable on price, and great to do business with. 

In ancitipation of getting my Egg fired up, I relied on the wisdom of many of you and bought choice accessories (adjustable rig customer combo, rig extender, Thermapen. 16" pizza stone, etc).  Thanks for the suggestions.

On the table, I took inputs from so many of you.  I took the NakedWhiz basic design, and made some tweaks.  I went with the Table Nest (great deal from Big Als), decided to go with a concrete countertop with broken glass aggregate, and aded the storage containers underneath.  Thanks to all of the posts from everyone with design ideas, and helping with the concrete countertop process.  It didnt turn our perfect, but I'm happy with my work.

I've had a couple of good first cooks.  Filets & Brined potatoes.  Pork Tenderloin with Blackberry Sauce (from BGE cookbook), and tried french bread last night.  Good so far.

I'm now looking at a controller before I get into low & slow.  I had thought about doing a PID controller, but stumbled upon the HeatMeter.  Looks to be an interesting project I think I can do, and do it signficantly less expensive than the CyberQ. 

http://tvwbb.com/forumdisplay.php?85-LinkMeter-v2-Homebrew-BBQ-Controller

Any Egghead every try this? 

Thanks again for all of the help so far. 

Matt

Comments

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    Nice set up. Looks like you are well on your way. Welcome aboard.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Nice setup. BBQ and a round of golf
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Boy do I have table envy. Nice set up.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • Congrats on the new egg!  Nice looking table, good idea to use the table nest since they don't give you the feet anymore.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Welcome aboard from an Egghead in Winston-Salem.  You don't need an electronic temp controller to do low and slow cooking. I know they are handy but they aren't necessary. I would do a few without one so you can get the hang of how the Egg acts in that environment. 

What golf course do you live on? 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Thanks for the feedback.  I live on Skybrook golf course in Huntersville. 

FanOfFanboys:  I may be in Greenville on Friday/Saturday, and may drop in on my way back to Charlotte. 

• Looks good, welcome to  the best place around for info.  Ranger? Military? 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Welcome!  Great job on the table.  It looks nice and is very functional.  

I think the wireless temp controller looks like a cool project if you have the skills. It looks like you would need to invest a good deal of time, but if this type of thing is something you can enjoy and you could see it as "hobby time" then I say go for it!  

I agree it is best to learn without it and it is not a must have.  They are nice though.  I just have an old PID controller connected to a fan/adapter I purchased from BBQ Guru.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    wow that table looks great!! pretty nice setup. you may want to think about joining the resturant depot. they are on wilkerson blvd (i recomend going during the daylight hours) i drive to charlotte every thursday to work at the car auction. so i have made several trips to the resturant depot. they have the best prices on meat.. hopefully you will stop by and see us on saturday!!

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Really nice setup - hopefully it won't get hit by a stray golf ball!!!  Welcome!!

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Nice table! Did you do the top yourself?

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• @chris123stock:  Not military.  Fraternity thing back at Ohio State.  Sigma Phi Epsilon.  The "Rangers"

@Smokeypit--It would be some hobby time, but i dont want that to take away from family/grill time at this point.  So I'll bide my time. 

@Bente:  Do you have to be a restaurant to join RD?  I would love to join there.  Looks like great meat deals!  Let me know!

@DLK--The photo probably doesnt show how far back & elevated I am from the course.  I get about 20 balls a year in my yard, and most of them are at the bottom of my back yard. 

@RAC--Yes, I did the table top myself.  Followed Cheng's guidelines.  Used Quikrete Concrete Mix.  There were a few projects here that I mimiced mine after.  Amazing how much information there was on the internet.  It really wasnt that hard, and was fairly reasonable.  I'd say I have about $130 in the top including concrete, reinforcement, sealer, mold supplies, etc.  I wanted something I could set something out of the egg onto without worrying about a fire, burn mark, or staining from ash/sauce.  Not perfect, but I like it. 

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    you have to have a business license. not just a resturant. since i have my own business i just went in and told them i cook bbq at some of my auctions and they gave me a card. they did not used to be too vigilant about checking stuff out. that may have changed. look into them i think they give memberships to KCBS members and to all law inforcement and civil servent types. not really sure what all they will let slide.. just be sure to take a jacket with you when you go weather it is august or january it is always 36 degrees in the meat room

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Nice looking table, and you have all the right things to put in it and on it and around it!
    Welcome to the asylum. 

I think a stoker is a must for overnights, if you want to get any sleep. I suggest, like others here, you do a daytime low and slow, maybe a 5-7 pound butt. Easy to start at 8:00AM and off by dinner time. Once the process has no bumps, do the overnight thing. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    How did you do the concrete top?   I am looking for a solid surface top for a table I am going to build into a deck, but I like the way that looks.     Is it cheaper than granite?  Thanks
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • @bo31210  I guess i had about $130 in the top.  I looked at granite remnants, when they were on sale, and I was looking at 11 sq ft at $20 a square foot, plus a charge for the cutout.  So i saved at least $100, and it's a good discussion piece over a cold beer.  Google search Cheng concrete countertops.  You'll find tons of videos that lay out the process.  Most everything you need can be bought at Lowes.  
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Welcome Ranger, I have also shopped at Big Al's, I bought a BBQ Guru from them sometime back. Welcome to the forum and looking forward to your input. I also live in NC just up 321 in Lenoir.
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Welcome from a Oklahoma Egghead. 

That looks like a great porch to have a cocktail and enjoy some food off the egg! Love the counter top and the fact you did it yourself is even better! 

The controller project looks kind of fun, I love my digiQ and use it anytime I cook over an hour, just because I can not that it is needed. 

I took my small egg to a friends house who's backyard in next to the #2 tee box at a country club and we had a few people stop by after their round to see if the food was ready or not.. 

Looking forward to more of your posts! 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK.