Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT, who goes camping?

Wife and I love going camping. We bought a cheap tent trailer this last year that I am fixing (roof repair, and floors). We have our little one but hoping by June he will sleep through the night.

Comments

• CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    We love camping.  Going later this month....first time since we had the baby (who is now 2), so glad to get back out.  
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    used to alot before buying the camp, was really set up well, load the lobster boat and just take off, alot of the big lakes in maine have very remote sites in the middle of no where. have a big 14 by 20 something foot wall tent, full cots, wood stove for the tent with built in water heater, would bring kegs, the smoker etc, the boat would be inches to sinking on the way out
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited March 2013
    I love camping, but haven't quite got my family on board yet.  They are spoiled and like hotels :).  I like to try to get out a few times a year with friends. 

I recently started sleeping in a hammock rather than a tent.  I'm somewhat conflicted when it comes to car camping vs "hike in" camping.  I have started getting a good lightweight setup so I could hike to a camp site.  However, my small egg just doesn't pack well in my backpack so I still find myself seeking out car camp spots :)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• jrf316
    jrf316 Posts: 55
    only if theres a hilton garden inn near by...
    Visca Barca
    Mes Que Un Club

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    jrf316 said:
    only if theres a hilton garden inn near by...
    My father in law always says "the closest I want to come to camping is a Holiday Inn".  :)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Wife and I love going camping. We bought a cheap tent trailer this last year that I am fixing (roof repair, and floors). We have our little one but hoping by June he will sleep through the night.
    By June? Sheesh dude. I must must be lucky. My daughter was sleeping through the night by six weeks old. It took 1 night of sleep training.

Camping-wise, I love it. There is nothing better than camping in the Finger Lakes region(hearing the Loons on Cranberry Lake is magical), up through the Adirondacks,  onto the White mountains to hit up Mt. Washington and hike Tuckerman's Ravine. Then, onto Acadia and pre-dawn hiking up Cadillac Mountain to catch the sunrise. Best 2 weeks ever. My only regret is not doing the Appalachian Trail while in college. I could never afford to take 6 months off now, let alone having a family. 
  •  
    My only regret is not doing the Appalachian Trail while in college. I could never afford to take 6 months off now, let alone having a family. 
    +1 on that.  Might try to do it after I retire if I ever get to and still have my health.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034

I help manage a campground

I now HATE camping, but even more, CAMPERS!!!

=))  I kid =))

Fishless@ That is my type of camping

^:)^
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    I love camping. I go 4-8x/year. Some might be a night in woods at local state park and some are 4-6 nights on island or in mountains. My boy started camping after 2. He is 3 1/2 now and loves it. He 'camps' in back yard sometimes. We go minimal style, nothing fancy. Just small tent and what we or boat can carry. Sometimes if weather is right we do just a hammock.
    I never do hotel. If going on vacation I've learned renting a local house is much more enjoyable than staying at hotel. Just my experience. Only hotel I stay at is when work is paying.
    Boom
  • tgkleman
    tgkleman Posts: 216
    Going beach camping in two weeks with my son's boy scout troop.  Looking forward to surf fishing.  I have never camped on the beach, should be fun.
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688

We love to camp and now even more after getting the small.imageimage

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Jscott
    Jscott Posts: 174
    My boys and I love camping. We are in N. Ga and are deeply involved in scouts. we camp about 6 times each year. they eat hot dogs, I make risotto and steaks!
    We love it!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663

I help manage a campground

I now HATE camping, but even more, CAMPERS!!!

=))  I kid =))

Fishless@ That is my type of camping

^:)^
    its always fun, even when we sank the boat 18 miles out in 32 degree water
    :)) well that wasnt all that fun
    :D
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • FanOfFanboys
    @RAC Jim Gaffigan has a funny joke about campers and camping. Something to effect of "oh, that's what I forgot to bring with me: a house!"

Boom
  • RocEGG
    RocEGG Posts: 89
    We love camping as a family.  My Daughter was 6 months old the first time we went camping, my son will be about 11 months old this year on our first trip of season. Have a few days reserved at waterfront sites at Golden Beach SP on Raquette Lake in the Adirondacks for memorial day. We spend a lot of time camping at various NYS parks: Watkins Glen, Stony Brook, Hamlin Beach, Lakeside Beach, Keuka Lake, Cayuga Lake, Nicks Lake, Seventh and Eighth Lake,Alger Island, Browns Tract and a few others.
    We have elevated the basics to an artform as we spend anywhere from 4-25 nights a year camping. a giant coleman tent is our primary equipment these days.
    Rochester, NY  - XL BGE
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    My son and I go at least once a year.  Garner State Park is a favorite location. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Got our memorial weekend camping spots on lake Lanier a couple weeks ago. Can't wait.
  • Zaltydog
    Zaltydog Posts: 106
    Love it!  Go multiple times a year including at least 4 backpack trips a year.  Very involved with taking Boy Scouts on these outings.  Camped the last three weekends in Northern Michigan.  Camping outside when it is -6 degrees takes the whole idea of camping into a different realm, but it sure provides the scouts with a hard earned self-esteem boost at the end of the weekend. 
    Home sweet Home...

Cooking two turkeys in a reflector oven.  Came out perfect.

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    You didn't teach the boy scouts about the egg ?
  • Zaltydog
    Zaltydog Posts: 106
    I keep those guys as far away from my egg as I can...eggs are not under warranty for scout abuse.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    I'm an Eagle Scout. Nuff said. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Charlie tuna
    edited March 2013
    This is my style of camping  -- a three day fishing trip into Everglades National Park -- unbelievable fishing -- but bug infested nights.  Thirty eight miles back to where we catch fresh and salt water fish at the same time in the same water -- it's where the waters are mixing.  Step out of the tent in the morning and you are in a fishing paradise!!      
  • Charlie tuna
    All this gear has to fit in compartments below decks...
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    I camp 2, 3 times a summer, wish I did it more.  I'm more of a minimalist, either backpack into the mountains or strap a tent, sleeping bag & pad onto the back of my motorcycle (sorry, not even an Egg Mini will fit).  
    The High Uintas, 2 hours to my east, are wonderful.  No mosquitoes, and you can lay on your back just after sunset, no light pollution, and watch the satellites, meteors, and occasionally the Space Station fly overhead, then get woken by a deer the next morning.  Love it!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    Zaltydog said:
    Love it!  Go multiple times a year including at least 4 backpack trips a year.  Very involved with taking Boy Scouts on these outings.  Camped the last three weekends in Northern Michigan.  Camping outside when it is -6 degrees takes the whole idea of camping into a different realm, but it sure provides the scouts with a hard earned self-esteem boost at the end of the weekend. 
    Home sweet Home...

Cooking two turkeys in a reflector oven.  Came out perfect.

way cool, that reminds me of some of my fondest scouting memories.  even the filthy briquettes in the background  :D.  love the reflector oven though maybe i should build one for my doomsday prepping.
  • FanOfFanboys
    Botch said:
    I camp 2, 3 times a summer, wish I did it more.  I'm more of a minimalist, either backpack into the mountains or strap a tent, sleeping bag & pad onto the back of my motorcycle (sorry, not even an Egg Mini will fit).  
    The High Uintas, 2 hours to my east, are wonderful.  No mosquitoes, and you can lay on your back just after sunset, no light pollution, and watch the satellites, meteors, and occasionally the Space Station fly overhead, then get woken by a deer the next morning.  Love it!  

I am with you. I take what I can carry or what can fit on my boat to a island (I don't have a huge boat) I just enjoy that more. For big niceties I rent a house and stay on location.
    Boom
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    edited March 2013
    @travisstrick said it best I only made it to life scout and love to camp. My cousins son is 13 and very involved in scouts and has become my helper for the last few cooks since the super bowl. I had him do all the prep work and gave him all the credit and he is asking his mom by Wednesday if he can come over and help for the sunday cook. Back to camping I bought a small after having a large egg for about a year just because of camping. 

thats my uncles setup, which is great when we just have to bring the kayaks to missouri, but we also camp in popup campers and tents too.  Small BGE goes Camping
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • JayHawkEye
    JayHawkEye Posts: 196
    Camping was a staple growing up. Even when my AAU basketball team travelled, we would find the nearest campground and pitch our tents. I now attribute that to not having enough money to stay in the hotel, but it has carried over. We still go whenever we can, and we love it. I'm trying my hardest to keep my daughter from being a yuppie (she is 3), and camping out in a tent is a good start.
    "Take yourself lightly, but what you do seriously." - M. Martin XL BGE - Johnston, IA
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887

Last summer I planned a three-day kayaking and camping trip with my best friend from high school. He lives in Sooner territory now.  We hadn't seen eachother since my wedding day, 5 years earlier.  In fact, we'd only seen eachother once in nearly 10 years.  The trip was supposed to launch early on a Thursday morning, and we were to be picked up on a Saturday night, 55 miles south of our starting point.  My wife dropped us off on Wednesday night, we camped by the river, and took off at 6:00am the next morning.  By 9:00am, we were so tired of portaging, and pulling the kayaks over sandbar after sandbar, that we decided the trip was a bust.  I was heartbroken, because our adventure turned out to be an epic failure.  All the reports of "Yeah, there is ALWAYS a navigable channel" were complete lies.  By noon, we finally reached a bridge where we could exit. We were on the river for 6 hours in 90 degree heat, and we'd made it barely 9 miles. 

SWMBO drove back up, and rescued us.  After a shower and a much needed nap, I decided that the only thing that could redeem me was a decent meal from the Egg.  Over the next few days, I made my buddy Tri Tip, baby back ribs and NY Strips. We spent the mornings fishing, and golfing and the evenings drinking beers and grilling.  Best "camping" trip ever.  

The second Kayak Jam attempt is scheduled for mid May 2013.

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    @SaltySam not to get too off topic so we can private message if needed. But where were you kayaking and where are you planning your next trip? The weather / lack of rain the past couple summers have made most of the rivers around here not very fun, but I have found some really cool places in Missouri. The link is in my post above and the egg meals made the weekend even better! 

My family is pretty involved with the local kayak expert that does guided tours even goes to Alaska and Greece every summer. I can ask him about your area and tell you some cool places to checkout. 

Atleast you were able to turn a bad situation into a good time with your old friend. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK.