Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Post from a longtime lurker - with Salmon Pics

Foghorn
Foghorn Posts: 9,795

I have owned an XL BGE for over a year, but figure it is time to stop lurking since I will be cooking in Salado (with my 15 year old son) in less than two weeks.  Tonight - at the request of my 18 year old daughter (while my wife was at a meeting as she is not a seafood fan) - I made cedar plank salmon, smashed potatoes, and asparagus.

I look forward to meeting many of you in Salado.

Please let me know whether or not you can see the picture.

Thanks for looking.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

Comments

• Looks delicious. I was terrified of trying to do salmon on the egg. Turned out to be pretty easy, and tasty!
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited March 2013
    Just made that tonight minus the taters. Good eats. Oh But no cedar just soy and brown sugar raised direct .
    Seattle, WA
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Looks great! Salmon was my first cook on the egg a few years back and after a few post these past couple weeks I need to make it again soon! 

Welcome to the posting side of the forum.. Salado should be a blast, I wish I could make it but the weekend just didn't work out this year. 

Do you live in Texas? 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Looks great @Foghorn, welcome to the public side of Egging.  Good luck and enjoy Salado, it is one of the better looking Egg events I've seen @Mickey and whoever else helps him put on a great show.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Foghorn

1) Thanks.

2) I find the cedar plank gives me more margin for error - as opposed to directly burning, er, cooking it.  Of course, my first experience with the cedar plank - many years ago on a gasser - resulted in a flaming plank and burned striped bass..... at my in-laws' house.

3) Yes in Texas.  San Antonio.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    I like to do salmon skin on for similar reasons. 

I'm from Oklahoma so it is a good half a day drive each way. 

Some good people from Texas are / or were pretty active on the forum as I'm sure you've seen. Most will be back I imagine. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    That Salmon looks great!

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I'm cooking in Salado also....then I'll be lurking.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    henapple said:

I'm cooking in Salado also....then I'll be lurking.

.... In a van, down by the river?

That's creepy, dude. ;)
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Nice fish. Please say hello Saturday after next. You doing a day trip or spending the night.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Foghorn
    That Salmon looks great!

Thanks.  It tasted pretty good, too.
    Mickey said:
    Nice fish. Please say hello Saturday after next. You doing a day trip or spending the night.

Thanks. I look forward meeting you and the others in Salado.  I'll be easy to spot.  I'm 6'5" and I'll have a 15 y/o son with me.  We are tentatively planning on spending Thursday and Friday nights in Salado.  Thursday is still a little questionable as we are waiting to hear back from a SCUBA operator in the area.  We're going trout fishing on the Guadalupe Thursday morning, probably water skiing on Lake Travis Thursday afternnoon (depending on temperature) and then want to do a couple of dives near Salado Friday morning.  If the diving doesn't work out, we may do more skiing. Regardless of how this ultimately plays out, it should be some good father-son time.

San Antonio, TX

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Even IF i didn't like seafood, i could make a meal out of smashed potatoes!  Everything looks great..
  • Foghorn
    Even IF i didn't like seafood, i could make a meal out of smashed potatoes!  Everything looks great..

Thanks.  I had never done the smashed potatoes before, but they were excellent. It turns out you don't have to boil the potatoes before you smash them. The microwave works just fine. 

San Antonio, TX

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Thanks for that tip -- probably more flavor too!  When i make smashed potatoes, i do a double batch to cook with breakfast!!!
  • Foghorn
    Something about boiling food that I'm going to grill just doesn't sit well with me so I gave it a try - based on someone's comment here on the baked potato thread - thanks to whoever that was.

San Antonio, TX

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Man- that is one gorgeous plate!  Nice job! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Foghorn
    (Best Elvis voice): thank ya, thank ya very much

San Antonio, TX

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,024
    Looks terrific, Foghorn! Glad to have you on the forum! Can't wait to see your future cooks. :)
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Never done the smashed taters. Thanks for the post Fog. Good to see a new name.... So sick of these other clowns... :-q .... Joking :D
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Foghorn

Thanks Dyal and Chubbs.

Interestingly, my in-laws are coming over tonight with friends who are in from out of town so I am basiclally cooking the same meal (by request) again - with caveman filet mignon for the 4 landlubbers.

It's hard to pass up the pre-cut salmon portions (6 oz) that are only $3 at my HEB - and when I bought the 2nd round I got certificates for asparagus that is covered in fresh garlic and ready to cook.  I'm making a gourmet dinner for 9 for under $60.

San Antonio, TX